It is currently Mon Oct 05, 2026 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Is 2100 invited too?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:06 am 

Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:54 am
Posts: 609
Is the 2100 invited to the party too? I understand it hangs around with a clean two (or more) owner F40PH that recently has only been used to provide HEP for steam trains and was never used to push a steam locomotive up a hill. It must be true because I recall seeing it discussed on RYPN.

MX

_________________
"We Repair No Locomotive Before Its Time"


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fuel for YRE 614.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:13 am 

Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:23 pm
Posts: 180
Location: Florida's Forgotten Coast
A question regarding fuel. Understand the Durango & Silverton is burning wood pellets at night to reduce smoke. A Swedish company, Green Circle, is currently building a wood pellet plant on the Bay Line Railroad at Steele City, FL, capable of producing 500,000 tons of wood pellet fuel annually, mostly for export via Panama City, FL.

It would seem to me that such a fuel could be considered as environmentally friendly as biodiesel and would require considerably less locomotive modification, if any, to be used in a stoker equipped steam locomotive. Has this possibility been explored?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fuel for YRE 614.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:58 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:51 pm
Posts: 12170
Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Two words: Spark arrestors. <:-)


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Yellow Ribbon Express
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:38 pm 

Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:27 pm
Posts: 328
Location: Texas
Do you already have the ten railcars selected for the train?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Yellow Ribbon Express
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:36 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:19 pm
Posts: 2701
Location: Sackets Harbor, NY
We have identified 3 groups of available cars that meet our general specs.
The task is such that it is preferable that all 14 cars ( 10 display, 2 spare display, 1 entrance, 1 exit ) be identical and in reasonably decent shape structurally. Since they will be totally taken down and custom rebuilt their cosmetic condition is unimportant.
Fortunatly, as of today there are at least 3 available groups of cars that fit these parameters.
As if and when we have secured the all important sponsorship funding then we'll see where we can make the best deal.
Ross Rowland


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Yellow Ribbon Express
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:08 pm 

Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:49 pm
Posts: 3
Ross,

I have to say I am not a fan of the conversion to bio-diesal but it's a catch 22....Would love to see it rolling again though....


My questions to you is this.....

Would the general public have to the opportunity to ride it??? Or is this going to be just for display only.....

What is the plan for the engine and consist beyond the 3 year trip?

Would ALABAMA be part of the 3 year trip???? We haven't seen steam here in Alabama since DEC of 1994 when 611 left town and took the southern steam program with it. And I don't guess 614 has ever seen Alabama.

Please don't leave us out of the fun.......We are steam starved here in the south....


Thanks for all you do in the steam world,

Cary Atkinson
carytrain4501@yahoo.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Yellow Ribbon Express
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:11 pm 

Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:57 pm
Posts: 247
Location: Birmingham, AL
I agree...we're steam starved in AL. However, it probably would set off an ozone alert in the Birmingham area! : )


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Yellow Ribbon Express
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:49 pm 

Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:49 pm
Posts: 3
hahaha I tell ya what.....When a Mainline Steam loco comes to bham next IT'LL be snowing in the middle of July.... I CHALLENGE ANY STEAM GROUP to make an effort to come to bham. MEGA BUCKS TO be made in this town....We are rich in railroad history and have plenty of railroad friendly people. I guess it'll never happen again.

I'd really like to see someone prove me wrong!!!!! :)
.....Sure was fun 15 years ago huh????

Cary Atkinson
carytrain4501@yahoo.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Yellow Ribbon Express
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:53 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:36 pm
Posts: 139
If the track layouts are like the street layouts the engine will never leave the city limits! Can you imagine Challenger pulling to a stop beside a gas station and the fireman coming down to ask directions!

_________________
Robin


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Yellow Ribbon Express
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:28 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:19 pm
Posts: 2701
Location: Sackets Harbor, NY
To respond to the above questions/comments:
1. The YRE will carry approx. 300 VIP guests on each of the approx. 150 legs of its 3 year journey. These guests will be invited wounded veterans riding into their hometowns as the heroes they are and their immediate family. No tickets per se will be sold to the general public.
2. The YRE will display at approx. 150 towns/cities during its 3 year,25,000 mile journey. Length of stay at each stop will be largely a function of population within a 50 mile radius of the display location. More people=longer stay.


Again all of the above is dependant on garnering the $50 million in corporate sponsorships, a major task but one I'm modestly optimistic we'll meet!
Thanks to all for your good questions and support!
Ross Rowland


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Yellow Ribbon Express
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:52 pm 

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:00 pm
Posts: 822
Location: NJ
OK. Since my new job gives me very little free time, I cannot read all the messages in this thread. The few I read make me shake my head about the posters who vasilate from pro YRE to con YRE. Please, pick a side and stick to it!

Ross I do not know the ins and outs of such an endevour as you propose, but I wish you all the luck in getting it done. This is from a Viet Nam era sailor who couldn't get a cab home from the airport because back in the '60s, you had to travel in uniform.

But to the crux of this message. I do not know the age or type of car other then you say you are looking for 14 or so of the same type. How about the cars at the old Boonton station in Boonton NJ? The last I heard they were free to whoever wanted them. Moving them is the challenge since there is no live rail available to move these old friction bearing cars. The last I heard they were scheduled to be cut up but I have no updated information. I believe there were 14 or so heavyweights just sitting there awaiting their fate. The Boonton township is the current owner I believe.

God luck!

Later!
Mr. Ed


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Yellow Ribbon Express
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:10 pm 

Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:49 pm
Posts: 3
I would certainly like to form a committee here in Birmingham to have a small festival of freedom featuring 614 and our Vets and current soldiers.....If you feel that Alabama may be a possibility with the approval of the engine being restored...Please let me know. I would gain a lot of people really quick...

We'd love to have ya here with your train of Heroes of Freedom. WE would proudly wave American flags as ya rolled in.

I just need to know if it might be a possibility...


Thanks,

Cary Atkinson
carytrain4501@yahoo.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Yellow Ribbon Express
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:18 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:36 pm
Posts: 139
As I understand it the cars have not been moved since someone said "Let there be steam". The link will take you to a photo of the cars. Photo was taken in 1976 and I hear the insides now of the cars are gutted.

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=74658

_________________
Robin


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Yellow Ribbon Express
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:31 pm 

Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:14 am
Posts: 162
Location: Albuquerque, NM
I have got to ask the obvious question here: How are you planning scheduled maintenance, boiler washes, and all of the various inspections that any locomotive requires? I don't see there being too many out of service credit days for this kind of trip...


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Yellow Ribbon Express
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:08 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:19 pm
Posts: 2701
Location: Sackets Harbor, NY
Allow me to answer the above questions;
1. Part of the projects master plan is to keep the display section of the YRE (power car,entrance car,10 display cars,exit car) and the 614 intact and on permanent display. The several hundred original artifacts/memorabilia will of course have to be returned to the lenders and be replaced with replicas, but we believe that it will continue to be a compelling exhibit and will prosper for many years.
We are considering a number of appropriate site possibilities and will narrow that down over time.

2. Periodic maintenance of the 614 and the other "guest" helper steam engines will be handled exactly as it was on the AFT,wherein when their wash is due they'll be cooled down, monthly performed and put back on line. It worked out quite well on the AFT and I'm sure will here too.

Thanks for the good questions/suggestions.
Ross Rowland


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: