It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:29 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:26 am
Posts: 4777
Location: Maine
The ex-USATC 0-6-0, formerly of the Virginia Blue Ridge, has been sold to the SMS shortline of New Jersey, famous for it's fleet of Baldwin Diesel switchers. The locomotive will be moved sometime this Fall, and restoration to service will begin when plans and evaluations are completed.
More good news for steam folks!

_________________
"It's only impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:51 pm 

Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:15 pm
Posts: 98
Location: eastern PA
Yes, the Baldwin railroad did indeed buy an Alco! Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction for obtaining a set of blueprints for this engine? Here's a photo from today:

Image

_________________
"As veteran B&LE engineer 'Tex' McCann observed, if Pennsylvania had a drawbar on it, a Bessemer 400 (DRS6-6-1500) would surely try to 'shake and wiggle' it."


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:00 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:07 am
Posts: 737
Location: Philadelphia Pa
Not a surprise considering they own all the baldwins that NH&I had and they also have on their property/own the RDG Caboose and other former NHSR equipment...and even employees of the early NH&I/NHSR.

Will be nice to see if they get it back under steam. A total brute from everything I heard.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:20 pm 

Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:17 pm
Posts: 527
Location: Scranton, PA
It would be great to see this back in steam. With so many of these units that once ran in tourist service, it would be nice to see one alive again here in the states.

There are two in Canada currently running.

Formerly operational: Morris County Central 4039, Cooperstown & Charlotte Valley 2 (?), New Hope 9, the 4047 in Madison, SD. Am I missing any?

Dave Crosby

_________________
Dave Crosby


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:33 pm 

Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:58 pm
Posts: 80
I think the longtime NH&I workhorse ex-PRR 9423 (SW1) is on SMS property as well. I guess when you graduate from NH&I you go to SMS?

_________________
Daniel Kelly


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:44 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:07 am
Posts: 737
Location: Philadelphia Pa
It was and Im sure still is after its stint on the East Penn's Boyertown Br operation...but that was always a privately owned loco (9423) while on the NH&I.

Probably still is owned my the same 2 peoeple.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:23 am 

Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:15 pm
Posts: 98
Location: eastern PA
junior wrote:
It was and Im sure still is after its stint on the East Penn's Boyertown Br operation...but that was always a privately owned loco (9423) while on the NH&I.

Probably still is owned my the same 2 peoeple.


Correct. SMS is just giving it a place to stay for the time being.

_________________
"As veteran B&LE engineer 'Tex' McCann observed, if Pennsylvania had a drawbar on it, a Bessemer 400 (DRS6-6-1500) would surely try to 'shake and wiggle' it."


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:00 pm 

Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:15 pm
Posts: 98
Location: eastern PA
Well, #9 made the move today! Here's a few pics.

1) Loaded on a trailer at New Hope, PA
2) Off trailer at SMS shops on live rail again
3) A PRR & B&O Baldwin help the "lost" tender reunite with its engine.


Attachments:
sms51.jpg
sms51.jpg [ 90.81 KiB | Viewed 11172 times ]
sms52.jpg
sms52.jpg [ 76.43 KiB | Viewed 11168 times ]
sms53.jpg
sms53.jpg [ 76.58 KiB | Viewed 11147 times ]

_________________
"As veteran B&LE engineer 'Tex' McCann observed, if Pennsylvania had a drawbar on it, a Bessemer 400 (DRS6-6-1500) would surely try to 'shake and wiggle' it."
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:41 pm 

Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:15 pm
Posts: 98
Location: eastern PA
Shot a clip of offloading also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMrK8kH2EeE

_________________
"As veteran B&LE engineer 'Tex' McCann observed, if Pennsylvania had a drawbar on it, a Bessemer 400 (DRS6-6-1500) would surely try to 'shake and wiggle' it."


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:57 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:26 am
Posts: 4777
Location: Maine
Now you have to admit, for a locomotive that has sat neglected and deemed an eyesore for thirty years, this is some of the better news of 2009! Thanks for the pictures, Tim!

_________________
"It's only impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:49 pm 

Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:04 am
Posts: 665
Location: Northeast Ohio
What was the cost of the move? Mainly interested in the rate for the heavy haul truck, how much the loco weighs and how many miles the trip was.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:13 am 

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:38 pm
Posts: 528
Location: New Jersey, Central
Rich, I think 2009 has been a big year, IMO, for steam engines.

SR 385-----Back in the public eye and looking awesome at Whippany (She is back in her former colors)
SR 401-----Back under steam at Monticello
SR 154-----Restoration moving nicely
DL&W 565---under active Restoration
The lost engines-------SAVED, glad I didn't bet Alex on that one! :)

Heck, those are the only ones I kinda been watching. I know there is more stuff going on.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:05 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:58 pm
Posts: 111
Location: Hershey, PA
And NKP 765 came back and is pulling excursions again..

_________________
-MCH
Visit the NKP 765's website: http://www.fortwaynerailroad.org


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:08 am 

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:00 pm
Posts: 822
Location: NJ
I would hazard a guess that the move costs 20-25 grand.

Later!
Mr. Ed


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:58 pm 

Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:04 am
Posts: 665
Location: Northeast Ohio
That seems like an awfully high figure for a roll on-roll off arrangement not using any cranes.

I'm moving a GE 70 ton centercab next week. I'll bet it comes in at under 5k and I'm loading/unloading with cranes.


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: