It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: RMNE to Host Flagg Coal #75
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:50 am 

Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:06 pm
Posts: 2567
Location: Thomaston & White Plains
One more, from the on-the-Dam photo runby:

Attachment:
FC 75 small rypn DSC_4246.JPG
FC 75 small rypn DSC_4246.JPG [ 70.24 KiB | Viewed 7110 times ]

_________________
"I'm a railroad man, not a prophet."


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RMNE to Host Flagg Coal #75
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:17 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:25 pm
Posts: 6485
Howard -

Thanks for the photos. Your earlier description of the 75 as "gutsy" is right on! I had the privilege of riding behind her on the Whitewater Valley out of Metamora, Indiana and she put on quite a show.

Les


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RMNE to Host Flagg Coal #75
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:42 am 

Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:51 am
Posts: 124
Location: Upland, CA
That cute little train must have some pretty good power to pull 3 fully loaded (?) passenger cars with no helpers required.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RMNE to Host Flagg Coal #75
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:07 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:36 pm
Posts: 103
Location: East Ely, Nevada
Outstanding Pixs Howard, thank you!

I look forward to seeing her next saturday. Great to see a steamer running on the Naugy

Anthony

_________________
Nevada Northern Railway Museum
A National Historic Landmark, East Ely Nevada
Click Here For More Info On Our Programs


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RMNE to Host Flagg Coal #75
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:51 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:07 am
Posts: 1114
Location: Northeastern US
My visit was brief, but what a show No 75 puts on! And for anyone who hasn't seen the before and after pictures, Thomaston Station has literally been brought back from the ashes -looks incredible. Wish I had more time or could come back next weekend! (but I will be back!)
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 194&nseq=0

Stephen


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RMNE to Host Flagg Coal #75
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:15 pm 

Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:06 pm
Posts: 2567
Location: Thomaston & White Plains
Great shot of Thomaston Station, Stephen. You were finally able to do what we've wanted to do for 15 years--- get rid of the !@%&# wires!!!! Nice work!

Howard P.

_________________
"I'm a railroad man, not a prophet."


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RMNE to Host Flagg Coal #75
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:18 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:07 am
Posts: 1114
Location: Northeastern US
Thanks, Howard! My son and I lowered my camera down from the bridge deck using a telescoping boom with the camera mount rigged upside down. We dropped it down approx 10-12 ft, which got the lens below the wires.

Stephen


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RMNE to Host Flagg Coal #75
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:35 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:54 am
Posts: 1043
Location: NJ
Stephen's photo, linked above, includes a Model A pickup, just one of the props that made the station at Thomaston look that much authentic for the steam era. Just below where Stephen and his son hung the camera for that photo was another neat prop; a vintage dump truck.

I didn't note the make, or ask what year, but the truck was in a fresh coat of red paint, with RMNE lettering on the cab doors and in nice block lettering, C-O-A-L, a letter in each panel, on the dump body. (And it was used for that purpose, as well-)

I've always said that Strasburg sets the stage well, nothing out of place, but RMNE is not terribly far behind here.

As for the 75, what a nice little machine! For its size, it pulls really well, and the sight, sounds, and smells are spot on. If you have the opportunity to get to Thomaston next weekend, which is really Friday through Monday, you won't be disappointed.

EDM


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RMNE to Host Flagg Coal #75
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:49 pm 

Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:06 pm
Posts: 2567
Location: Thomaston & White Plains
The RMNE "COAL" truck is a 67 GMC dump truck with a small lever gate in the tailgate. A home-made coal chute expedited the loading of the 5-gallon plastic pails John Gramling brings for coaling 75. The truck lettering was done by Al Pomeroy the day before the first runs. Really gives "the red dump truck" a proper small-town look.

Howard P.

_________________
"I'm a railroad man, not a prophet."


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RMNE to Host Flagg Coal #75
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:05 pm 

Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:06 pm
Posts: 2567
Location: Thomaston & White Plains
OK, some photos:
75 and the Coal Truck, buckets at the ready:
Attachment:
Coal truck & 75 DSC_4339.JPG
Coal truck & 75 DSC_4339.JPG [ 64.01 KiB | Viewed 6028 times ]
Attachment:
Coal Truck & 75 Tstn. DSC_4347.JPG
Coal Truck & 75 Tstn. DSC_4347.JPG [ 65.18 KiB | Viewed 6028 times ]


RMNE Crew Dispatcher Barb Walcott and her 1930 Model A truck (and top hat):
Attachment:
Barb & Model A DSC_4386.JPG
Barb & Model A DSC_4386.JPG [ 68.46 KiB | Viewed 6052 times ]


Not shown, but detectable in the air: all the fun that was being had.

Howard P.

_________________
"I'm a railroad man, not a prophet."


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RMNE to Host Flagg Coal #75
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:47 am 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:36 pm
Posts: 103
Location: East Ely, Nevada
had a great Time on Sunday! Here are a few pixs. Great Job RMNE!

Anthony

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

More to come tommrow....these are all edits I am working on in my photo class

_________________
Nevada Northern Railway Museum
A National Historic Landmark, East Ely Nevada
Click Here For More Info On Our Programs


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RMNE to Host Flagg Coal #75
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:06 pm 

Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 11:24 pm
Posts: 15
Location: Sanford, NC
Very awesome pictures. Those with the truck in the foreground looked really good, always chokes me up a bit when I see pictures like that for some reason.

You know, I use to not think much of tank engines. I always thought they were too small or they just could do much. Man was I wrong! The first engine I rode in was NHV #17, an almost identical twin to #75, and man she was a beast. Had the pleasure of being there when they were double-heading last fall and those two could pull the world.

John and Barney are two fine individuals. I'm looking forward to seeing them again at WV Rails at the end of the month.

_________________
If God had meant for us to fly, he wouldn't have given us the railways. -- Unknown


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RMNE to Host Flagg Coal #75
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:29 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:25 pm
Posts: 6485
I really like the photos of #75 switching the vintage freight cars next to the industrial building. Very, very nice! Seeing the little Vulcan next to that building reminds me of a photo I saw years ago, perhaps it was in the old "Steam Locomotive" magazine. That particular picture was of Edgmoor & Manetta 0-4-0T #5, and she was pictured next to a similar industrial building owned by the textile company that also owned the E&M. The number 5 was a Porter, originally built in 1917 for an outfit in Massachusetts. The engine eventually made its way down south, working as #3 for the Warrior River Terminal Company in Alabama, ending up at dealer Birmingham Rail & Locomotive before being sold to the E&M in 1941. Her boiler finally failed a federal inspection in 1971 and at that time, she was the very last steam locomotive running in common carrier service where passenger/railfan trains were not a part of the operation. Thirty years of service! Seems as if the textile company got its monies worth out the locomotive. Anyone know whatever happened to that little Porter saddletanker? Sure glad that Flagg Coal 75 is around to bring back memories of the way things once were on those little out of the way operations.

Les


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RMNE to Host Flagg Coal #75
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:33 pm 

Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:06 pm
Posts: 2567
Location: Thomaston & White Plains
The pictures of E&M #5 in the late 1960s from Bill Young's late, great magazine were in my mind when I pre-visualized and arranged the shoot at Plume & Atwood on Sunday.

I have some different angles and "props" in the pictures I shot, and they may appear soon.

Anthony got some good angles as well.

Howard P.

_________________
"I'm a railroad man, not a prophet."


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RMNE to Host Flagg Coal #75
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:18 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:25 pm
Posts: 6485
Howard P. wrote:
The pictures of E&M #5 in the late 1960s from Bill Young's late, great magazine were in my mind when I pre-visualized and arranged the shoot at Plume & Atwood on Sunday.

I have some different angles and "props" in the pictures I shot, and they may appear soon.

Anthony got some good angles as well.

Howard P.


Howard -

I look forward to your photos. Also, when you get the chance, give us a bit of info on the three vintage freight cars in the photos taken at Plume & Atwood. Thanks.

Les


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: