It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Mixed train with ex-Strasburg open car?
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:40 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:51 pm
Posts: 12168
Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 820&nseq=9

Is that a former Strasburg RR "Hello Dolly" car I see there? I wasn't aware Strasburg cast off any as surplus, instead of saving them for rebuild. I can't think of a more perfect operation for such a car, though.

So what was the structural basis for the "Hello Dolly" cars? Or were they truly assembled from scratch?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mixed train with ex-Strasburg open car?
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:14 pm 

Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:30 pm
Posts: 1083
Location: Bucks County, PA
I wish Strasburg still had the Hello Dolly in it's old movie colors and old style steps/openings. I admit that it looks nice all in the same colors and style - but I miss the old style.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mixed train with ex-Strasburg open car?
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:55 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:13 pm
Posts: 417
Location: Baltimore. MD
Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=325820&nseq=9

Is that a former Strasburg RR "Hello Dolly" car I see there? I wasn't aware Strasburg cast off any as surplus, instead of saving them for rebuild. I can't think of a more perfect operation for such a car, though.

So what was the structural basis for the "Hello Dolly" cars? Or were they truly assembled from scratch?


Well, it's not a "Hello Dolly" car, but it does seem to be ex SRR. I took a look at it last year, and it seems to be built on the body of an ex MP-54 or somesuch car. I'm going to make a wild stab and guess it is the ex-SRR "Conestoga Creek."

Steve


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mixed train with ex-Strasburg open car?
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:33 pm 

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:12 am
Posts: 90
The former Owego and Hartford/Tioga Scenic operation in Owego, NY had a car just like this that was part of their excursion train along with two DL&W MU's, an IC coach turned table car and a UP/C&NW diner. The later two were sold to the New York & Greenwood Lake. The other three I'm not sure about. Would be curious as to where the two DL&W MU's went...


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mixed train with ex-Strasburg open car?
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:40 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:07 am
Posts: 737
Location: Philadelphia Pa
If I'm not mistaken, the D&GV also got those DL&W MU's spokend of which were used along with the WM coach on several recent excusrsions.

That is indeed one of the former MP54's converted by SRR. One of the first set of open cars (aside from HD) the SRR had back when 1223 was up and running, no?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mixed train with ex-Strasburg open car?
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:32 am 

Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:52 am
Posts: 2477
.


Last edited by Kelly Anderson on Sun Aug 04, 2024 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mixed train with ex-Strasburg open car?
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:41 am 

Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:27 pm
Posts: 157
Who owns the freight cars? I'm trying to put together a listing of preserved freight cars in North America and I'd like to verify if I already have those.

Thanks,

Richard Wilkens


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mixed train with ex-Strasburg open car?
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:27 am 

Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:03 pm
Posts: 261
Location: SE, Mich.
Richard W. wrote:
Who owns the freight cars? I'm trying to put together a listing of preserved freight cars in North America and I'd like to verify if I already have those.

Thanks,

Richard Wilkens

Good luck with that.

_________________
-Aaron Farmer
Manager, Mechanical
Steam Railroading Institute
Yield not to misfortunes, but advance all the more boldly against them.


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: