It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Age of Steam Roundhouse
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:27 pm 

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:57 am
Posts: 2599
Location: Faulkland, Delaware
I surfed upon this video that has some views of the roundhouse under construction. I am a bit taken by the size of the place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiyRhXpmv14&feature=sub

_________________
Tom Gears
Wilmington, DE

Maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:42 pm 

Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:22 pm
Posts: 495
A hint for those who are looking for it: if you're not sure you're in the right place, you aren't. It's so big that it's clearly visible from a road half a mile away. We were passing through the area and went by on the side road, but did not go onto the property so we wouldn't be in the way. You can see quite well from the road, in any case.
Something else, isn't it?

_________________
--Becky


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:22 am 

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:25 pm
Posts: 6485
tomgears wrote:
I surfed upon this video that has some views of the roundhouse under construction. I am a bit taken by the size of the place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiyRhXpmv14&feature=sub


How many diesels are in that lineup anyway and what are the model designations of each? Seems to me that there are some duplicate models. Are all of these going to be part of the collection?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:36 pm 

Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:03 pm
Posts: 1116
Location: Warszawa, Polska
New Photos

http://www.ageofsteamroundhouse.com/Alb ... 10_08.html

_________________
CNR 6167 in Guelph, ON or "How NOT To Restore A Steam Locomotive"


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:20 am 

Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:24 am
Posts: 57
All I can say is WOW!!!!!!! ------ Built it and they will come, I went to college in ohio and lived outside of columbus, and even Newark for a time, never thought to go back even to visit, But I Guess I was wrong ---- This is the Field of Dreams

and I hope I see Jerry to shake his hand, it is looking beautiful

_________________
Christopher S

http://www.FRA.gov"

"Danger 600 VOLTS"


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:12 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:07 am
Posts: 1114
Location: Northeastern US
While it's great to see the progress of this incredible project, people should really stay away [the guy who shot the video] and let them finish. This is a private effort, and if we show some self control, maybe we'll be invited in once it's done!

Enjoy the terrific photos and aerial views on the Web site...they're doing all of that for us! :)

Stephen


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:59 am 

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:16 am
Posts: 153
Location: Southwest Virginia
While I hate to do a me too post, I very much agree with Stephen. I hope this was not a trespasser on private property. I'd sure hate to find someone outside my house filming my "treasures" with no one around.

Mike Stillwell
Buena Vista, VA.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:17 pm 

Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:37 pm
Posts: 224
Location: Detroit, Michigan
I would like to see Jerry's roundhouse once it's completed, hopefully with some equipment and locomotives inside.

_________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/jrahrig" target="_blank


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:01 pm 

Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:30 pm
Posts: 1083
Location: Bucks County, PA
While browsing around online, I saw this today, in a post on the Akron Railroad Club's blog:

http://akronrrclub.wordpress.com/2010/09/22/last-steam-locomotives-leave-morgan-run/

I'm guessing all of the other equipment had not been moved under their own power? Or did it? I wish someone else had more pictures/video of this move. And, unless I'm hallucinating, was the tank engine under steam as well? That first picture makes it look like there's smoke coming out of it's stack...


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:29 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:26 am
Posts: 4777
Location: Maine
If you build, they will come.

_________________
"It's only impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:55 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:38 am
Posts: 1013
Location: Philadelphia
From the looks of it, the 0-4-0's rods were removed and 1293 was providing sole power.

Joshua


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:29 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:58 pm
Posts: 1084
yeah with the trin moving in reverse, it does look like the tank is hot.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:43 pm 

Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:18 pm
Posts: 216
Location: Pittsburgh PA
#1293 was in steam, with the RS-18 #1800 in idle. The tank engine #3 had its main rods removed and was only along for the ride. A couple photographers were out to nab shots, perhaps one will post. I imagine there's a few nice roster shots of 1293 in her new home.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:15 pm 

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:02 pm
Posts: 1883
Location: Back in NE Ohio
If anyone in or near NE Ohio is interested, as part of the AC&Y HS convention tomorrow, AOS volunteer (and frequently published author) Mark Perri will present a photo-update on the museum in the afternoon session. Details of the convention available on the Society's website. I do mean update, like with photos being taken as I write this on Friday. Convention to be held in the very large social hall of a church in W. Akron.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:18 pm 

Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:07 pm
Posts: 1202
Location: Leicester, MA.
If anything, a project of the magnitude seen with the AoS roundhouse will serve as the basis for a new Steamtown, at least in my book. Fact is that Jerry Joe Jacobson (who i do hold in high regard, as well as a certain C&O614) has done well for years. If anything, he's proof of what we Americans are capable of when it comes to steam preservation. By my count its 20-7, with the Brits winning. But chances are that my count is off...

_________________
Dylan M. Lambert
https://www.facebook.com/LambertLocomotive/


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: