It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Watchmans crossing shanty stop sign
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:01 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:25 pm
Posts: 6485
Here is a photo from the Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum's website:

http://hvrm.railfan.net/historical/116_Plymouth.jpg

The photo shows a former NKP shanty in Plymouth, Indiana shortly before it was taken out of service. We have a similar shanty at our museum. I would like to build a replica of the stop sign shown in this photo. Does anyone have dimensions of a similar device? I kind of assume pipe was used for the staff, but what size? And what is the diameter of the sign itself? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

And have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

Les


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Watchmans crossing shanty stop sign
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:08 am 

Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:56 pm
Posts: 185
Location: Norwalk, Ohio
Les, Comparing the size of the sign diameter to the crossbucks and the actual shanty door,i'm going to guess the sign diameter would be about at least 20" The shanty door looks pretty narrow so it's probably not more than 30" and crossbucks are like maybe 4ft?.I've got a similar sized round rusty steel sign that is riveted to a pc. of old flattened boiler tube at the top wich i found laying on the floor of my depot's freight side when i dismantled it.

I will take a look tomorrow and measure it,and the pipe boiler tube as i still have it out back.I'm really not sure what mine originally was for as the steel round part is pretty rusty! It was from the AC&Y and i have no idea if it was maybe a speed limit sign or what? I've got a few other old steel flanger signs that came off the NYC RR Norwalk branch wich also utilized old boiler tubes wich were flattened with the steel flanger sign riveted to them.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Watchmans crossing shanty stop sign
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:55 am 

Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:57 am
Posts: 48
Location: Elgin, IL
Hi Les,

No guesswork required: I've got a copy of the original AMC diagrams for the sign, dated 11/17/1931.

The sign is 19" diameter, 16 gauge steel, enameled white with black border and letters. Letters are 4" tall, and are a specific AMC font (I have those diagrams too).

The pole is straight grain hardwood, 1-3/8" diameter, with two coats of clear varnish. Total length of sign with the pole attached is seven feet.

Send me an email off list and I'll pass you a copy of the sign diagram!
rtbsvrr69 (AT) yahoo.com

_________________
Ray Breyer


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Watchmans crossing shanty stop sign
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:57 pm 

Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:17 pm
Posts: 553
Location: Ballard, WA
Image

Here is the Stop Sign at Mid-Continent.


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: