It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:44 pm 

Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:58 pm
Posts: 80
I was under the impression that SMS owned the necessary equipment for the move, and therefore it only cost them in labor and permits. Yes/no?

_________________
Daniel Kelly


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:13 am 

Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:15 pm
Posts: 98
Location: eastern PA
limejuice wrote:
I was under the impression that SMS owned the necessary equipment for the move, and therefore it only cost them in labor and permits. Yes/no?


No, private trucking companys were used. One for the tender, and another for #9. Don't know the costs involved, but #9 made the trip in just about 2 hours!

_________________
"As veteran B&LE engineer 'Tex' McCann observed, if Pennsylvania had a drawbar on it, a Bessemer 400 (DRS6-6-1500) would surely try to 'shake and wiggle' it."


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:10 pm 

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:00 pm
Posts: 822
Location: NJ
The price I posted would have included cranes at both ends but as pointed out, it was rolled on and off. And if you get your GE moved with cranes for 5 grand, you've got to let us all know who did it since that is a fantastic price! The only way that may be possible is if the crane company can use a single crane in both locations, and the move is only a couple of miles. Do let us know how and when.

Later!
Mr. Ed


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:57 pm 

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 8
Who are the lads that will be heading up the restoration for SMS?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:58 pm 

Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:30 pm
Posts: 1083
Location: Bucks County, PA
Wow - it's amazing how quickly #9 has been turned around so far by the SMS guys - do you think they will have some sort of "steam/railfan" sort of event once she's up and running?

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2319473

Picture taken 11/20 (not by me)


Last edited by bigjim4life on Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:34 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 6464
Location: southeastern USA
And the link opens a log-in screen for a forum to which I don't subscribe nor wish to subscribe.........

Real information and good news always welcome.

dave

_________________
“God, the beautiful racket of it all: the sighing and hissing, the rattle and clack of the cars over the rails. These were the sounds that made America the greatest country on earth." Jonathan Evison


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:53 pm 

Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:30 pm
Posts: 1083
Location: Bucks County, PA
Sorry about that! My dumb butt didn't check the link before posting to the board - Dave, I fixed it to the correct link.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:28 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:51 pm
Posts: 12169
Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
bigjim4life wrote:


By Jove. It's the prototype for those Chance Mfg. "C.P. Huntington" steam-outline B-B (or Bo-Bo, to your Europeans) amusement park locos. Well, OK, it needs Blomberg trucks, but still......

On a slightly less-frivolous note, should I be concerned about what sure looks like a large rectangular hole cut into the bottom side of the firebox?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:09 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:54 am
Posts: 1043
Location: NJ
At least the engine now has roller bearings! IIRC, the firebox repairs were started long ago at New Hope, addressing the holes just above the mudring.

I used to fire that engine years ago; she could really pull! Having seen what SMS can do with the BLWs, I'm sure she will turn out just fine. I'm glad to see that she got a good home.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:46 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:26 am
Posts: 4777
Location: Maine
She's a great puller, and she'll make a terrific sight switching freight. As I recall, she had a considerable left - right swing while hauling tourists, due to the lack of a pony truck. No matter, she was designed for what SMS does with class.

_________________
"It's only impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:31 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:25 pm
Posts: 6485
Richard Glueck wrote:
She's a great puller, and she'll make a terrific sight switching freight. As I recall, she had a considerable left - right swing while hauling tourists, due to the lack of a pony truck. No matter, she was designed for what SMS does with class.


Richard -

These engines were designed so that a pony truck could be added, turning them into 2-6-0's. The Midland Terminal actually performed that operation on 3 or 4 of the engines in their shops and successfully operated them as such in over-the-road freight service. Both Alco and Lima versions were so converted, so it CAN be done! But I don't know of any other company or railroad besides the MT that did a similar conversion. Maybe someone could post a photo of one of the MT Moguls so we could see what such a conversion might look like.

Les


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:51 pm 

Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:03 am
Posts: 48
quote="Alexander D. Mitchell IV"
"By Jove. It's the prototype for those Chance Mfg. "C.P. Huntington" steam-outline B-B (or Bo-Bo, to your Europeans) amusement park locos. Well, OK, it needs Blomberg trucks, but still......"

Actually, I believe you are looking at the first 4-0-4 locomotive in history. It tracks really well in forward or reverse but has a problem with traction :)


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:13 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:51 pm
Posts: 12169
Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Les Beckman wrote:
Maybe someone could post a photo of one of the MT Moguls so we could see what such a conversion might look like.


With thanks once again to the Denver Public Library and Otto Perry:

http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00012747+OP-12747
Image

http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00012679+OP-12679
Image

http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00012677+OP-12677
Image

Want more? There are HUNDREDS of Midland Terminal shots here:

http://history.denverlibrary.org/images/index.html


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:47 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:25 pm
Posts: 6485
Mr. Mitchell -

Thanks. These photos also illustrate the easy way to tell the difference between the Alco U.S. Army 0-6-0's and the Lima examples. The Lima engines (like MT #66) had a single sand dome ahead of the steam dome, while the Alco's (such as MT #65) had two sand domes; one on each side of the steam dome. I have often thought that the Army 0-6-0's were handsome little creatures and the addition of the pony truck by the Midland Terminal shop forces just made them that much more so. The ore trains that they moved for the Midland also proved they were very gutsy machines.

Les


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NH&I #9 sold to SMS shortline!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:47 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:26 am
Posts: 4777
Location: Maine
Great pictures! Here I repeat what has been said before, NH&I parted out their Lima, #7, and cut up the remains. Today, the Lima would have been saved and probably rebuilt. At any rate, after sitting out under the trees and soaking in rain water for years, #9 is coming back from dormancy.

_________________
"It's only impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: