It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Slightly OT: re-introduction
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:07 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:32 pm
Posts: 9
Location: Taylors, SC
I haven't been active here for a couple years. Now that I'm back, I thought it might be a good idea to post a new intro for the newbies and bring the old heads who remember me as "scrmcurator" up to date. If you're not interested, OK, just ignore this!

During the summer of 2007, I met a fantastic lady named Heather. That's about when I quit reading this board if memory serves -- now you know why. ;o) Heather is incredibly intelligent, creative, and has an Irish temper on steroids. She came with three kids, now ages 16, 13, and 12. The end two are boys, the middle one is a girl. Heather and I were married in October 2007. The next day, I was laid off. And so started a lovely, wonderful streak of luck for the next couple years!

From the start, I proudly showed off SCRM and tried to get my new family involved. They helped me with the exhibit gallery a LOT. But apparently, the enemies I've made at SCRM over the years (I *am* an outspoken, opinionated SOB) extended their hostility to my family. Now, you can mess with me all you want and I'll take it. But DO NOT mess with people I love. Long story short, we told them where they could run those trains in no uncertain terms, and it wasn't to Rion Quarry.

Not long after, we moved to the Upstate. Heather's ex lives in Easley (that's where the old Pickens RR cuts off of the Southern's Washington-Atlanta main). We wanted to be closer to her ex so the kids didn't have a two-hour ride for their every-other-weekend visits. We wound up settling in Taylors, which is just east of Greenville. We hope to move one more time in a few months, as we're trying to buy a house instead of renting.

Attachment:
File comment: Matt Conrad in the 884
IMGP0029a.jpg
IMGP0029a.jpg [ 106.16 KiB | Viewed 7481 times ]
In April 2010, I found a paid, part-time position at Cleveland Park in Spartanburg, SC. The park has a pair of MTC G-16 trains, typical three-car "Suburban" consists. Both were originally purchased by the Spartanburg Kiwanis Club. The park's mainstay since 1961 has been the 884, currently painted in Southern Railway green. It was built in 1957 and originally installed in Mary Wright Park. The Kiwanans moved it to Cleveland Park in 1961 and sold their original train from that park, #652. The 652 dates from 1952. It went to Charleston, SC, then Milledgeville, GA, before being purchased back by Spartanburg County in 2003. It never really operated after its return -- the tranny leaked oil and the brakes didn't work.

I've spent this past summer restoring the 652 to operating condition. I had to re-plumb the brakes on all three cars. I also added a supplemental vacuum pump on the engine, and am in the process of getting the drumhead and marker lights working again. The park had the County maintenance shop overhaul the locomotive, which fixed the leaky tranny and other issues. The 884 also has some bad oil leaks, once the 652 is reliable I think I'll tear into the 884 and see what I can do with her.

I'm also working on some track repairs over the winter, as there's been no appreciable track maintenance since 2002. When I started, my first project was smoothing out some of the sun kinks -- they had gotten so bad they were starting to cause derailments. Right now, I'm in the midst of a project to fix a drainage issue (the track was the drainage ditch!) and construct a six-rail maintenance crossing.

My Parktrains website has languished for several years, but I'm finally working on it again (nothing like actually getting my hands on a parktrain to inspire work on the site!). It can be found at http://trainweb.org/parktrains.

_________________
--
-Matt Conrad


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Slightly OT: re-introduction
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:34 am 

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:00 pm
Posts: 822
Location: NJ
Welcome back! Having a job, full or part time, that falls in line with your hobby, can't be all bad. Sounds like you are the sole manager of the train sets down there. And not a minute too soon!

Good luck!
Mr. Ed


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Slightly OT: re-introduction
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:01 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 6464
Location: southeastern USA
Welcome back Matt, congrats and best wishes.

dave

_________________
“God, the beautiful racket of it all: the sighing and hissing, the rattle and clack of the cars over the rails. These were the sounds that made America the greatest country on earth." Jonathan Evison


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Slightly OT: re-introduction
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:39 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:02 am
Posts: 620
Location: Albany, Georgia
And now I know why I didn't hear back from you when I was trying to catch up with you at SCRM this past Summer! Good luck and best wishes, Matt!

_________________
Stephen S. Syfrett
Albany, GA


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Slightly OT: re-introduction
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:59 pm 

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:52 pm
Posts: 559
Location: Apple Valley, Minnesota
Hi Matt:

Let me also offer a big welcome back. Being an SCRM charter member, I'm disappointed that you apparently received the bum's rush. But I'm glad to hear you're back in the swing of things and hopefully enjoying a stable life.

Thanks!

_________________
Jim Vaitkunas
Minnesota Streetcar Museum
www.trolleyride.org


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Slightly OT: re-introduction
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:30 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:32 pm
Posts: 9
Location: Taylors, SC
Mr. Ed wrote:
Welcome back! Having a job, full or part time, that falls in line with your hobby, can't be all bad. Sounds like you are the sole manager of the train sets down there. And not a minute too soon!

Good luck!
Mr. Ed


There are a total of three of us who run the trains. The other two are retired guys who just like being around the kids and running the train. One's a retired industrial mechanic, so he's a good resource for advice, but he's not interested in doing much more than that. The park also has a really good maintenance guy who builds and drives race boats as his hobby. I'm an OK mechanic, but I'm not very good with engines, so Scott does the infernal combustion maintenance and I handle the purely railroad-related stuff.

Here are a couple photos of the trains. The "engineer" of the 652 is "Fred," our Halloween ghost engineer.

Attachment:
File comment: Cleveland Park's #652, "Sparkles"
CPR_652.png
CPR_652.png [ 45.24 KiB | Viewed 7203 times ]


Attachment:
File comment: Cleveland Park's #884, "Sparky"
CPR_884.png
CPR_884.png [ 42.73 KiB | Viewed 7201 times ]


We'll be running Saturday, Dec. 11, for a Santa Train event (weather permitting) from 10-12. I'll be the operator. If anyone has a chance to stop by and see me, please say hello. The 652 will make her second public debut, hopefully for permanent operation this time!

_________________
--
-Matt Conrad


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Slightly OT: re-introduction
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:04 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:25 pm
Posts: 6485
Matt -

Welcome back. Missed your reports from SCRM. Hope things go well for you in your new career.

Les


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Slightly OT: re-introduction
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:47 pm 

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:00 pm
Posts: 822
Location: NJ
Sounds like the perfect combination of the three of you. Rare to find people that work together that well.

Later!
Mr. Ed


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Slightly OT: re-introduction
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:59 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:45 am
Posts: 1138
Location: Beaumont, Texas
Matt;

Good to see you here again. And thanks again for all you have done to shine some light on the Park Trains scene.

_________________
-James Hefner
Hebrews 10:20a

Surviving World Steam Project - New Address!

International Stationary Steam Engine Society


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: