It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2026 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: I.T.S. Urbana & Champaign.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:15 pm 

Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:07 pm
Posts: 115
Location: Surrey, B.C.
When the British Columbia Electric Railway Co. became BC Hydro Railway and then sold to what became Southern Railway Of BC it left behind a filing cabinet of old blueprints. Some dating back to 1905. Cataloging of the entire collection is now taking place.
There is one blue print that is named "G" Truck Details for I.T.S. Urbana & Champaign. Research indicate Urbana & Champaign is a metropolitan area in east central Illinois.
I am looking for information on what the I.T.S. may mean. If it is a long ago rail system then I might be able to find out its different cars and how this particular blueprint fits with BCER cars.
Any help is appreciated.

Robert Ashton
FVHRS

http://www.fvhrs.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I.T.S. Urbana & Champaign.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:22 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:28 am
Posts: 2733
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
I.T.S. is the Illinois Traction System (Reporting Marks ITS)

In the late 1920s or early 1930s, the I.T.S. merged with a couple of St. Louis-area steam terminal railroads. and changed the name of the unified system to the Illinois Terminal System (Reporting Marks ITC)

_________________
David M. Wilkins

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I.T.S. Urbana & Champaign.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:30 pm 

Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:07 pm
Posts: 115
Location: Surrey, B.C.
wilkinsd wrote:
I.T.S. is the Illinois Traction System (Reporting Marks ITS)

In the late 1920s or early 1930s, the I.T.S. merged with a couple of St. Louis-area steam terminal railroads. and changed the name of the unified system to the Illinois Terminal System (Reporting Marks ITC)



Thank you, David. Sets me off in a direction.

Robert


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I.T.S. Urbana & Champaign.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:31 pm 

Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:50 pm
Posts: 2815
Location: Northern Illinois
And, the I.T.S. used large interurban cars not very unlike the British Columbia Electric Railway:

Image

ITC motor car 277 and trailer coach 518 at IRM in Union, IL.

_________________
Dennis Storzek


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I.T.S. Urbana & Champaign.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:29 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:25 pm
Posts: 6486
FVHRS wrote:

There is one blue print that is named "G" Truck Details for I.T.S. Urbana & Champaign. Research indicate Urbana & Champaign is a metropolitan area in east central Illinois.


Robert Ashton
FVHRS

http://www.fvhrs.com


Might someone be able to advise information on I.T.S. "Urbana" and "Champaign" and also, if they might be amongst the Illinois Terminal cars that have survived?

Thanks.

Les


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I.T.S. Urbana & Champaign.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:01 am 

Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:54 am
Posts: 1080
Location: Califoothills / Midwest Prairies / PNW
Sleeper/observation "Champaign" later became parlor/obs #234 and is preserved in Union IL
http://www.irm.org/gallery/IT234/aae


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I.T.S. Urbana & Champaign.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:25 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:01 pm
Posts: 1755
Location: SouthEast Pennsylvania
Did British Columbia Electric buy a 2nd hand Illinois Traction System interurban trolley sleeping car named "Urbana"?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I.T.S. Urbana & Champaign.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:59 pm 

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:56 am
Posts: 175
Location: St. Joseph Illinois
You might contact Dale Jenkins at the Monticello Railway Muesum. He has written a book on the IT & I believe he is President on IT historical society.

Dave Huffman


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I.T.S. Urbana & Champaign.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:20 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:51 pm
Posts: 12169
Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Or you can wait until Wednesday when I can flip through the newly-arrived books at the Maryland Rail Heritage Library, which include "definitive" works on the ITS and B.C. Electric..........


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I.T.S. Urbana & Champaign.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:01 pm 

Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:07 pm
Posts: 115
Location: Surrey, B.C.
JimBoylan wrote:
Did British Columbia Electric buy a 2nd hand Illinois Traction System interurban trolley sleeping car named "Urbana"?


Not from my knowledge. The only second hand were 2 freight motors from Oregon Electric back in the 1940's. They are still around: one at West Coast Railway Museum (960) and the other in Edmonton, Alberta (961). The roof was lowered to allow it to work in Edmonton Transit tunnel work.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I.T.S. Urbana & Champaign.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:34 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:51 pm
Posts: 12169
Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
JimBoylan wrote:
Did British Columbia Electric buy a 2nd hand Illinois Traction System interurban trolley sleeping car named "Urbana"?


Nope. Urbana was IT 511, one of five reserved-seat cars built as trailers by St. Louis Car in 1911, 57'6", seating 35, re-equipped 1928 with one truck from a 280-series car. Rebuilt with furniture and window upgrades 1930 and 1936. 510 and 511 sold for scrap 11-13-1950.

Champaign is the sleeper that was sold to the Illini Railroad Club in Feb. 1956. (Built in 1910, that car has a convoluted history which I'm not re-typing here.)

Nothing whatsoever from Illinois Transit/Terminal is mentioned in Henry Ewert's The Story of the B.C. Electric Railway Company (1986)

My only presumption is that somehow something ran at B.C. Electric with identical trucks, and they found the prints useful. Absent any generalized need for exchangeable truck data (and I'll leave the details of trucks, motors, etc. to better traction guys than me), you might want to gift these prints to the IRM.........

My, we just got these books in from the D.C. Chapter NRHS, and already I'm putting them to use...........


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I.T.S. Urbana & Champaign.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:39 am 

Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:44 am
Posts: 154
I would think this is more likely to refer to the Urbana & Champaign street railway system, which was a part of the ITS empire. Looking at the diagram, we would be able to tell whether it's a street railway or interurban truck.

_________________
Randall Hicks
Visit Hicks Car Works!
_________________________
Confucius remarked: "There is in the world now really no moral social order at all."


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I.T.S. Urbana & Champaign.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:37 pm 

Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:07 pm
Posts: 115
Location: Surrey, B.C.
Randall Hicks wrote:
I would think this is more likely to refer to the Urbana & Champaign street railway system, which was a part of the ITS empire. Looking at the diagram, we would be able to tell whether it's a street railway or interurban truck.

Also quote:"My only presumption is that somehow something ran at B.C. Electric with identical trucks, and they found the prints useful. Absent any generalized need for exchangeable truck data (and I'll leave the details of trucks, motors, etc. to better traction guys than me), you might want to gift these prints to the IRM.......

Recent research has indicated that perhaps the identical BCER truck, or truck part, is the reason for the I.T.S. Urbana & Champaign blueprint. The key is the "G" truck.
I offer the blueprint for your opinion.

Robert Ashton, FVHRS


Attachments:
G- Trucks I.T.S (#2).jpg
G- Trucks I.T.S (#2).jpg [ 152.71 KiB | Viewed 5887 times ]
Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: