It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: External differences: 8-1/2-120 vs. 8-1/2-150?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:17 pm 

Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:20 am
Posts: 35
What external clues can I look for when trying to differentiate 8-1/2"-120 CC air compressor versus 8-1/2"-150 CC? I know that there are significant differences in diameter of low- and high-pressure air cylinder bores between the two types, and lesser differences in diameter of low-pressure steam cylinder bore. For the task at hand, it would not be practical to remove a head and measure a cylinder bore.

I have not been able to come up with a list of Westinghouse or NYAB casting pattern numbers which relate to the CFM rating or cylinder bore diameter.

Might it be so simple as checking the amount of space between the low- and high-pressure air cylinder outside diameters? I believe I've seen one compressor with a significantly larger amount of space there, and so I suspect that it is 8-1/2"-120.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Bob Milhaupt
IRM Steam Shop Volunteer


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: External differences: 8-1/2-120 vs. 8-1/2-150?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:43 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:34 am
Posts: 382
Bob -

You have found the best way to tell the difference. Both sizes use the same bottom head so the bolt patterns are the same. This requires the bottom flange for both sizes to have to same outside diameters. Since the cylinder diameters are smaller for the 120 cfm compressor, there is more "free space" between the bolts and cylinder wall on the 120 cfm compressor.

_________________
G. Mark Ray - TVRM
www.tvrail.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: External differences: 8-1/2-120 vs. 8-1/2-150?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:34 pm 

Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:00 am
Posts: 554
Location: Dallas ,Texas. USA
I have a complete parts (drawing) list for one of the WABCO 8+1/2 x 150 versions. If you are interested I can work on getting it posted as soon as I can get it into Excel.

If you are interested, I have a want add that I need posted;

WANTED: Someone that enjoys entering lines and lines of old steam locomotive appliance data into Excel.

_________________
Loco112 (NarrowGaugeExchange Forum)

Our "paper" archives will be the future railfans only hope. We (yes you too!) should endeavor to preserve all the info needed to allow them 100% accuracy in the building of their recreations.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: External differences: 8-1/2-120 vs. 8-1/2-150?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:40 pm 

Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:05 pm
Posts: 38
Location: Martinsburg, WV
You can easily place your hand between the air cylinders of the 120 pump. Not so with the 150. After a few such examinations; you will be able to discern the difference by sight.


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: