It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:17 pm 

Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:22 pm
Posts: 495
If you all haven't visited lately, the AoSR crew just put up another whole bunch of pictures...160-some, I think. I haven't even looked at all of them myself yet.

_________________
--Becky


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:04 am 

Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:30 pm
Posts: 1083
Location: Bucks County, PA
Becky Morgan wrote:
If you all haven't visited lately, the AoSR crew just put up another whole bunch of pictures...160-some, I think. I haven't even looked at all of them myself yet.


I did look - the thing looks (to my untrained eye) like it's very close to being done...but one of the coolest things I saw, was in the middle set of pics - two images - one, of the LS&I engine on the turntable with caboose - and in a long, sweeping shot inside the roundhouse, down at an end stall, you can see, in the background, what looks like #1293 in one of the last stalls - now how did those engines get there? ;) :)


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:06 am 

Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:07 pm
Posts: 1202
Location: Leicester, MA.
bigjim4life wrote:
Becky Morgan wrote:
If you all haven't visited lately, the AoSR crew just put up another whole bunch of pictures...160-some, I think. I haven't even looked at all of them myself yet.


I did look - the thing looks (to my untrained eye) like it's very close to being done...but one of the coolest things I saw, was in the middle set of pics - two images - one, of the LS&I engine on the turntable with caboose - and in a long, sweeping shot inside the roundhouse, down at an end stall, you can see, in the background, what looks like #1293 in one of the last stalls - now how did those engines get there? ;) :)

I'm looking at two possibilities:
1) the locomotive was put on the turntable
2) Clark Kent is one of the AoS crew members

I'm placing my money on the turntable. Not sure if it's in full working condition though...

_________________
Dylan M. Lambert
https://www.facebook.com/LambertLocomotive/


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:17 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:34 am
Posts: 382
The turntable works, Tim let me run it yesterday. They also have a small goat diesel switcher to move the horses around.

My thanks to Tim and Jerry for allowing Linn and I to visit yesterday. The amount of detail being put into this is amazing. They are indeed going that extra mile to keep the roundhouse as authentic as they can. Even square headed bolts were specially made to bolt components together with. I am still in awe over my visit!

_________________
G. Mark Ray - TVRM
www.tvrail.com


Last edited by gmray on Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:02 am 

Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:07 pm
Posts: 1202
Location: Leicester, MA.
gmray wrote:
The turntable works, Tim let me run it yesterday. They also have a small goat diesel switcher to move the horses around.

My thanks to Tim and Jerry for allowing Linn and I to visit yesterday. The amount of detail being put into this is amazing. They are indeed going that extra mile to keep the roundhouse as authentic as they can. Even square headed bolts was specially made to bolt components together with. I am still in awe over my visit!

Lucky. I've never been to Ohio, and you got to run JJJ's turntable. On another note, where did JJJ get a goat switcher, and even going as far to use square bolts is impressive. As i originally stated, JJJ's project could be a new Steamtown.

_________________
Dylan M. Lambert
https://www.facebook.com/LambertLocomotive/


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:02 pm 

Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:30 pm
Posts: 1083
Location: Bucks County, PA
If they ever have a steam "railfest" sort of event out there (they have plenty of engines capable of doing it) - I will definitely try to make it out!!


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:22 pm 

Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:07 pm
Posts: 1202
Location: Leicester, MA.
bigjim4life wrote:
If they ever have a steam "railfest" sort of event out there (they have plenty of engines capable of doing it) - I will definitely try to make it out!!

I'm putting that on my "things that I need to do" list for the next 15 years.

_________________
Dylan M. Lambert
https://www.facebook.com/LambertLocomotive/


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:04 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:01 pm
Posts: 125
Location: Chattanooga
Becky Morgan wrote:
If you all haven't visited lately, the AoSR crew just put up another whole bunch of pictures...160-some, I think.
The newest photos I see are from last October. Am I missing it?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:39 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:24 am
Posts: 298
Location: H2O-town, CT
Wow, that will be some place when it's finished!

Now what I'm curious about is if there's a list of the diesel locos he owns. Looking at the one ariel view it looks like several Alco S series switchers lined up.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:37 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:25 pm
Posts: 2564
Location: The Atlantic Coast Line
Does someone have a link to the most recent photos? The website has not be updated since December 2010.

Wesley


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:57 pm 

Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:03 pm
Posts: 1116
Location: Warszawa, Polska
See the bottom three entries on the "2010 construction photos" menu. Also, sign up to their mailing list.

_________________
CNR 6167 in Guelph, ON or "How NOT To Restore A Steam Locomotive"


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:28 am 

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:51 pm
Posts: 219
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania
I've been on the AOSR mailing list for a while and with every update I just say wow! The planning and attention to detail is simply amazing. I love the in-floor radiant heating on the work stalls.

All of the pictures that I've seen posted (even the ones from last week's update) are from 2010. I'm eagerly awaiting more pictures and information about the site opening to the public.

Way to go JJJ, you built an impressive place that should last for a long time.

_________________
----------
Jim Evans


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: