It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Henry Ford Mus. Geenfield Village
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:04 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:26 am
Posts: 4777
Location: Maine
Checking another off the "Bucket List", I visited the Henry Ford Museum today, along with Greenfield Village. Of course the feature piece is C&O Allegheny 1601. THE big loco is in beautiful shape, intact, greased, and painted. The cab is accessible, but portions are closed off from visitors. Unfortunately, parts of the collection were behind barriers due to renovation of the experimental automobile collection.
Image
Image

The cab, which features microswitches under significant controls, triggering recordings of appropriate sounds.
Image

The massive six wheel trailing truck, which made the Allegheny so powerful when dragging loads of coal.
Image

Contrast between ages of technology.
Image


Outdoors, the little 4-4-0 "Edison" was fired and running this day. The "Torch Lake" was down for the day.
Image

Image

Image


The roundhouse at Henry Ford is capable of a full locomotive restoration. The docent I spoke with told me they have contracted to rebuild other locomotives, but presently, the shop has enough to do to maintain their own fleet. Near completion, #7, a 4-4-0 run by Ford himself, has been entirely rebuilt for service. Within two weeks, they expect to re-attach boiler to frame and drivers.
Image

One stall is dedicated to this gorgeous 4-4-2, built by American Schenectady works.
Note the headlight, complete with oil wick and copper reflector. And no, she is not going to run. The Atlantic is too fast to be effectively run at Greenfield Village. Dang!
Image
Image

Oh yes, indoors, the 4-4-0 , "President". Just beautiful and well kept.
Image

Though not a railroad museum per se, I would recommend Henry Ford and Greenfield Village to any person who loves American history and heavy machinery. Steam era lovers will not be disappointed.

_________________
"It's only impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Henry Ford Mus. Geenfield Village
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:30 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:07 am
Posts: 1114
Location: Northeastern US
Excellent, Richard -thanks for the great photos and the post!

Stephen


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Henry Ford Mus. Geenfield Village
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:28 pm 

Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:56 pm
Posts: 185
Location: Norwalk, Ohio
Richard, What's the history on the gorgeous 4-4-2 Atlantic in the roundhouse as far as what RR she was originally from? I havn't been to the museum and village in about 35 years,so i guess i need to add that trip to my bucket list also and get up there soon! Thank's for sharing the nice photo's


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Henry Ford Mus. Geenfield Village
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:44 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:25 pm
Posts: 2564
Location: The Atlantic Coast Line
Quote:
What's the history on the gorgeous 4-4-2 Atlantic in the roundhouse as far as what RR she was originally from?


http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=639

Wesley


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Henry Ford Mus. Geenfield Village
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:51 pm 

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:15 am
Posts: 61
Location: Detroit, MI
F.N.Kuenzel wrote:
Richard, What's the history on the gorgeous 4-4-2 Atlantic in the roundhouse as far as what RR she was originally from? I havn't been to the museum and village in about 35 years,so i guess i need to add that trip to my bucket list also and get up there soon! Thank's for sharing the nice photo's


The 4-4-2 came from the Michigan Central. Ford had it "museumized" (polished brass, varnished wood cab, etc.) when it came to the museum.

I also notice that the Edison has what looks to be a single note whistle (I believe it might be #7's) instead of the regular 5 chime.

_________________
Jake


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Henry Ford Mus. Geenfield Village
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:55 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:26 am
Posts: 4777
Location: Maine
I might add, I was told a GG-1 is waiting for accession to the collection. Currently in New York, they've not been able to move it due to "government regulations". My thought is, could it be PCB's or lack of roller bearings? I don't know. Neither do I know which GG-1 is designated for the Henry Ford.

_________________
"It's only impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Henry Ford Mus. Geenfield Village
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:10 pm 

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:15 am
Posts: 61
Location: Detroit, MI
Richard Glueck wrote:
I might add, I was told a GG-1 is waiting for accession to the collection. Currently in New York, they've not been able to move it due to "government regulations". My thought is, could it be PCB's or lack of roller bearings? I don't know. Neither do I know which GG-1 is designated for the Henry Ford.


According to this site:
http://www.steamlocomotive.com/GG1/


The museum owns #4909

_________________
Jake


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Henry Ford Mus. Geenfield Village
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:35 pm 

Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:03 pm
Posts: 261
Location: SE, Mich.
Richard Glueck wrote:
I might add, I was told a GG-1 is waiting for accession to the collection. Currently in New York, they've not been able to move it due to "government regulations". My thought is, could it be PCB's or lack of roller bearings? I don't know. Neither do I know which GG-1 is designated for the Henry Ford.

I forgot who told me, but if I remember correctly, I think it might be stuck in New York because of its weight and non-roller bearing wheels...

_________________
-Aaron Farmer
Manager, Mechanical
Steam Railroading Institute
Yield not to misfortunes, but advance all the more boldly against them.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Henry Ford Mus. Geenfield Village
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:01 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:10 pm
Posts: 1182
Last time I checked, all the GG-1's were all roller bearing equipped.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Henry Ford Mus. Geenfield Village
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:11 pm 

Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:29 pm
Posts: 1899
Location: Youngstown, OH
Something to do with clearance issues. The asbestos has been removed and it has an up to date COT&S.

_________________
From the desk of Rick Rowlands
inside Conrail caboose 21747


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Henry Ford Mus. Geenfield Village
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:13 pm 

Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:07 pm
Posts: 1202
Location: Leicester, MA.
wesp wrote:
Quote:
What's the history on the gorgeous 4-4-2 Atlantic in the roundhouse as far as what RR she was originally from?


http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=639

Wesley

Interesting to see a NYC-based design. Is there any similarity to the atlantics used on the Boston and Albany?

_________________
Dylan M. Lambert
https://www.facebook.com/LambertLocomotive/


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Henry Ford Mus. Geenfield Village
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:11 am 

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:40 am
Posts: 118
Location: Durango, Co
Quote:
Steam era lovers will not be disappointed.


So true! I have been to the Henry Ford and Greenfield Village a couple of times and look forward to returning again. I recommend spending a day in the museum and a day in the Village and that will probably not be nearly enough time to see it all.

Russ


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Henry Ford Mus. Geenfield Village
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:00 pm 

Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:10 pm
Posts: 101
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Near completion, #7, a 4-4-0 run by Ford himself, has been entirely rebuilt for service. Within two weeks, they expect to re-attach boiler to frame and drivers.


It is unfortunate that the olive on the frame of #7 isn't visible in the image. It looks very dark almost black inside the roundhouse, but takes on a different tone in the sunlight.

Dave


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Henry Ford Mus. Geenfield Village
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:20 pm 

Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:17 pm
Posts: 553
Location: Ballard, WA
Hmm, aren't steam locomotives were supposed to be black?


Attachments:
dln7.png
dln7.png [ 201.77 KiB | Viewed 10883 times ]
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Henry Ford Mus. Geenfield Village
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:28 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:26 am
Posts: 4777
Location: Maine
Chris, I can quote Ford himself: "Any color you want, so long as it's black".

#7's frame is almost a Brunswick green in appearance. The pilot truck was completely re-machined and rebuilt in the shop, with new steel replacing stressed out items. They expect reassembly in the next two weeks.

_________________
"It's only impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: