It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Indiana Museum of Transportation/NKP 587 update
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:36 am 

http://www.itm.org/nkp587_update.htm

No word on the site about how the Indianapolis Fair calamity did or did not affect FairTrain operations.

Sloan


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Indiana Museum of Transportation/NKP 587 update
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:32 pm 

Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:21 am
Posts: 596
Location: Yardley, PA (near Phila)
Thanks for the update /link!

A Noble project. One of my favorite engines, can't wait to see her back in action.

Are the Monon F7's still at the Museum? Last I checked they were not officially listed on the roster but I think they are still there.

Image

Image


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Indiana Museum of Transportation/NKP 587 update
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:04 am 

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:15 pm
Posts: 3
587 Will definitely be operational again in the very near future. I won't say in 6 months or any other sort of definitive time frame, because that just leads to more negativity when that time comes and goes and still not complete yet.. I CAN say that there's much less ahead to do than there is already completed.. Still have some firebox work to do on it, and some staybolts.. Flues are all on site ready to go in.. New dry pipe is off site but also ready for installation. We just finished repairs on rear tube sheet.. We are getting her there slowly, but we are doing everything right the first time.. Keep an eye on the ITM website as we are regularly posting updates on our progress..
F units are indeed still on site.. All are ex-MILW units.. Unit 83 is still running strong, but getting pretty rough cosmetically.. She is due in shops next for body work and some other minor mechanical repairs and then fresh paint.. Currently under restoration is unit #72 Is currently undergoing full restoration, and mechanically is nearing completion.. Some work is ongoing with the blowers and then some electrical work left to be done, then it will get new body panels and fresh paint.. Once this unit is completed and operational, then we are taking 83 out of service for its aforementioned, and much needed re-restoration. Unit 96 is currently stored inoperable due to some mechanical issues.. Plans are to repair it when money permits like the other two A units.. That just leaves the 1 B-unit unrestored, and I have not heard any definite plans for it just yet, but I'm sure it's day is coming where it too will be fully restored to operational condition.
I've been a member of ITM for several years now and plan on being around for many years to come! Like I said before the website is a great place to get updates on these locomotive restorations.. http://www.itm.org


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Indiana Museum of Transportation/NKP 587 update
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:01 am 

Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:21 am
Posts: 596
Location: Yardley, PA (near Phila)
gregory37 wrote:
Like I said before the website is a great place to get updates... http://www.itm.org


Why aren't the Monon F's listed under "equipment"? Odd, or at least an oversite as they would most likely be a draw to the Museum, even if not running.

/Mitch


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Indiana Museum of Transportation/NKP 587 update
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:46 am 

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:15 pm
Posts: 3
We are in process of updating the site with better info, and honestly we will probably not take any new pics of teh F unist till we have 1 freshly restored.. To be totally honest, the others are cosmetically pleasing to the eye, tho 83 is running as strong as any other locomotive we have, it isn't very photogenic. I wouldn't be at all surprised if 72 is completed before the end of the year, tho I'm in no way promising that..


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Indiana Museum of Transportation/NKP 587 update
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:24 am 

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:15 pm
Posts: 3
If you would like, I can snap some current pics of the F units Saturday when I'm up there working on 587 and then post them here..


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: