It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2026 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 19  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: ATSF 4-6-4 #3463
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:08 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:37 pm
Posts: 451
Location: Missoula MT
Dave wrote:
A strategy has already been worked out for high speed and normal track speed operation including a period of test operation with the inclusion of recording instruments to accurately measure the operating characteristics of the locomotive. This not only quantifies the characteristics of the new fuel, but provides a basis for comparison with the historic data gathered by the Santa Fe decades ago in testing.
dave


Thus explaining the choice of this engine, versus others. If there is already a set of test data for this class of engine, that provides a baseline. The AT&SF could probably be considered one of the more advanced operators of steam in the West.

Why not a Northern? I would suspect wheel loadings and tracking ability might figure in, in addition to the existence of excess boiler capacity and the opportunity to increase steam utilization without hitting the wall of what the boiler can generate.

I could be an interesting technology if wedded to the design of the 4-6-4T's that ran on the CP (?) and CNJ. Green commuter power indeed. I wonder if the pellet manufacturing process could be adapted to use kudzu?

Michael Seitz
Missoula MT


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATSF 4-6-4 #3463
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:09 pm 

Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 2:22 pm
Posts: 1543
jasonsobczynski wrote:
Ron Travis,

Green technologies are a passion of mine, the point John made is accurat. While the wood has a minimal foot print (though not neutral as it does have to be harvested and processed) the other component of the fuel is coal. Last I checked coal is a fossil fuel. Thus this is an environmentally "green" bio fuel using a renewable resource as well as fossil fuel.

Cheers, Jason


Actually, I am not sure what John was referring to now that I review what I quoted from him. I had made the point that wood burning was considered carbon neutral. And I assumed he was responding to what I had said, and was arguing that it can’t be carbon neutral. But now I see that he was referring to fossil fuel and not wood. So I should not have quoted him when I reiterated that wood burning is carbon neutral. And I think that the point I made agrees with what you are saying about it.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATSF 4-6-4 #3463
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:02 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 6464
Location: southeastern USA
[quote="mikefrommontana I wonder if the pellet manufacturing process could be adapted to use kudzu?
Michael Seitz
Missoula MT[/quote]

No need for pellets, Mike. Just plant kudzu in an open gon behind the tender (or leave it trackside in Georgia overnight and let it plant itself), and train the vines to grow through the firedoor. Self-stoking carbon neutral biofuel.

Has it made it to Montana yet?

dave

_________________
“God, the beautiful racket of it all: the sighing and hissing, the rattle and clack of the cars over the rails. These were the sounds that made America the greatest country on earth." Jonathan Evison


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATSF 4-6-4 #3463
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:43 pm 

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:41 pm
Posts: 834
Location: Bowling Green, KY
Ron,

Absolutely, your point about the wood component is accurate.

Cheers, Jason


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATSF 4-6-4 #3463
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:24 pm 

Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:41 am
Posts: 3971
Location: Inwood, W.Va.
The original "green" locomotive:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 65&nseq=12

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 63&nseq=15

Sorry, sorry, I just couldn't resist the temptation. . .:-)


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATSF 4-6-4 #3463
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:39 pm 

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:34 pm
Posts: 2837
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Frisco1522 wrote:
I'll start putting more attention into green stuff when I see solar powered passenger airplanes flying.


I couldn't resist this link

http://news.yahoo.com/video/environment-15749659/sun-powered-plane-attempts-intercontinental-flight-29449568.html

Renewables will not do everything, but they are a valid and significant source. Germany is obtaining 10% of their electric from wind today (checked my source).

But I think the renewable future is in fiberglass, aluminum, and electronics, not cast steel frames and superheaters.

_________________
Steven Harrod
Lektor
Danmarks Tekniske Universitet


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATSF 4-6-4 #3463
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:54 pm 

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:19 pm
Posts: 1124
Location: Washington, D.C.
Frisco1522 wrote:
I wonder what the greenies would think if we turned back the clock to about 1939 and checked the air quality? St. Louis was so bad that the street lights were on during the day because of the smog and coal smoke. Nearly everything burned coal back then for heat, power, railroads, industry and the automobiles were smoke generators.


This greenie thinks you just deliberately confused local air quality with global greenhouse gas emissions and their cumulative impact. Apples and oranges.

_________________
Erik Ledbetter
www.steamsafari.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATSF 4-6-4 #3463
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:59 pm 

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:19 pm
Posts: 1124
Location: Washington, D.C.
MSNBC picked it up:

http://m.futureoftech.msnbc.msn.com/technology/futureoftech/classic-1937-steam-engine-soon-run-carbon-free-793578

_________________
Erik Ledbetter
www.steamsafari.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATSF 4-6-4 #3463
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:04 am 

Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:06 pm
Posts: 52
Location: Chicago IL
From this qoute from that MSNBC topic

"The biocoal will be used to power a 1937 steam locomotive that is being upgraded with a more efficient fire box, boiler and other parts — though using the same design principles as a traditional steam locomotive."

That makes me feel much better to see that at least they are going to run this engine like every other steam engine operates, just faster

_________________
Proud Supporter Of The New Norfolk Southern Railroad 21st Century Steam Program


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATSF 4-6-4 #3463
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:08 am 

Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:58 pm
Posts: 1352
Location: Chicago USA
I feel like we should be starting an office pool on this.

Steve


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATSF 4-6-4 #3463
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:15 am 

Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:43 am
Posts: 783
J3a-614 wrote:
The original "green" locomotive:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 65&nseq=12

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 63&nseq=15

Sorry, sorry, I just couldn't resist the temptation. . .:-)


Noo, Noo, THIS is the original 'green' locomotive!!

http://www.pbase.com/spcrr/image/93303829


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATSF 4-6-4 #3463
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:18 am 

Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:06 pm
Posts: 52
Location: Chicago IL
Or the first iron horse thats not iron

_________________
Proud Supporter Of The New Norfolk Southern Railroad 21st Century Steam Program


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATSF 4-6-4 #3463
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:33 am 

Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:42 pm
Posts: 3013
Matt3985 wrote:
From this qoute from that MSNBC topic

"The biocoal will be used to power a 1937 steam locomotive that is being upgraded with a more efficient fire box, boiler and other parts — though using the same design principles as a traditional steam locomotive."

That makes me feel much better to see that at least they are going to run this engine like every other steam engine operates, just faster


Uh, "using the same design principles" could simply mean "we burn fuel to create steam in the boiler and that powers the locomotive"


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATSF 4-6-4 #3463
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:36 am 

Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:06 am
Posts: 411
Matt3985 wrote:
From this qoute from that MSNBC topic ...

"...clip..."

That makes me feel much better to see that at least they are going to run this engine like every other steam engine operates, just faster



Matt,
Please don't confuse what you hear from a newscaster with facts. Been in the 'biz 36 years and counting. mld


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATSF 4-6-4 #3463
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:41 am 

Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:41 am
Posts: 3971
Location: Inwood, W.Va.
"Noo, Noo, THIS is the original 'green' locomotive!!"

http://www.pbase.com/spcrr/image/93303829

Oh, my, oh, my, what to we want to call it, a "biomotive?"

Actually, how about Jake, or Harry, or whatever name you have for such a pet?

I tell my wife she's an expensive pet. . .just like all the cats I've got around here. . .which she let in because she wouldn't listen. . ."Don't feed that cat, if you feed that cat, you'll never get rid of it". . .she took a vow to "love, honor, and obey". . .she needs to work on the obedience part. . .too late to trade her in, we've been married over 30 years. . .

How is it that rail enthusiasts have what must be the corniest sense of humor?


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 19  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: