It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Ohio Works Alco S2s
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:55 pm 

Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:29 pm
Posts: 1899
Location: Youngstown, OH
Yeah, that could have been it. The gauge in the cab, being so far away from the pressure switch is no help in telling me when oil pressure has built up. By the time the gauge shows pressure the engine has already been running for 10 seconds.

We took the 777 out for a test drive today, and even gave our local TV news personality a cab ride! We have a bit of switching to do with it tomorrow before we park her for a week or two while we get caught up on other projects that have languished while we devoted our attention to the 777.

As for the problems that I have been having with the turbo, I have not repaired it yet. I plugged the water coolant lines going to the turbo just to get the loco running. I've been monitoring the temp of the turbo and I don't run it much above idle, and it doesn't seem to be getting so hot as to be a concern. I still plan to repair the cracks and reconnect the water lines once I get a chance.

_________________
From the desk of Rick Rowlands
inside Conrail caboose 21747


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ohio Works Alco S2s
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:15 pm 

Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:47 pm
Posts: 23
Actually normally it is the starter button that you have to continue to depress until oil pressure builds. 10 seconds or more for the oil pressure to build is perfectly normal for a 539. Think about how big and long the oil galleys are in that engine. With cold or even cool 40 weight oil it takes a little bit to fill all the cavities and build pressure. I believe the low oil pressure shutdown switch is supposed to open at 23PSI. It closes a little above that. Once you see 25+ on the oil pressure gauge you can let go of the starter button. Since it is exciter cranked it wont hurt a thing and is exactly how Alco designed it. Once you release the starter button you should see the ammeter go to the positive side (usually 60 to 80 amps initially) assuming the charging circuit is still as designed...

Jimmy


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ohio Works Alco S2s
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:49 pm 

Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:29 pm
Posts: 1899
Location: Youngstown, OH
We found another problem today after doing some running with it. It seems that the key holding the gear to the pump shaft sheared. I just happened to open up the compartment door and noticed that the pump shaft was not turning. So I'll pull it off next week and check to see if there is any damage to the shaft and/or gear.

The pump packing is also leaking more than it should (yes I know it leaks a little but should not be a steady stream) and I'll repack it then as well.

Other than that, the locomotive is operating flawlessly. It is a real pleasure to operate.

_________________
From the desk of Rick Rowlands
inside Conrail caboose 21747


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ohio Works Alco S2s
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:38 am 

Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:29 pm
Posts: 1899
Location: Youngstown, OH
It turns out that it was not a sheared key, but a completely snapped shaft causing the problems. The pump shaft is made with a sharp 90 degree shoulder which caused a stress riser that snapped the shaft in two.

So, while the pump is out to replace the shaft I'm also going to replace the oil seals, packing rings and pump bushing. Basically rebuild the entire pump.


Attachments:
20150622_184137 (1280x960) (800x600).jpg
20150622_184137 (1280x960) (800x600).jpg [ 247.63 KiB | Viewed 6815 times ]

_________________
From the desk of Rick Rowlands
inside Conrail caboose 21747
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ohio Works Alco S2s
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:48 am 

Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:29 pm
Posts: 1899
Location: Youngstown, OH
Attachment:
20150619_140121 (640x480).jpg
20150619_140121 (640x480).jpg [ 294.41 KiB | Viewed 6812 times ]

We just had to get a shot of the three locomotives together. USS 70, the "parts" Alco, G&W 20, which will be going to Lake Shore and the 777. This is the first movement over this siding in about 15 years. I have some journal polishing to do before I can move the 70, but I do want to bring it out and try to get the prime mover freed up and running.

We are also going to get one of the LI 600 engines on the 80 tonner running again, whenever I get the chance to play with it.

I took a local TV news anchor for a cab ride the other day, and this was the result:
http://wytv.com/2015/06/19/old-steel-lo ... nerations/

_________________
From the desk of Rick Rowlands
inside Conrail caboose 21747


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ohio Works Alco S2s
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:08 am 

Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:33 am
Posts: 96
Location: Virginia
Rick, truly an amazing job bringing that ALCO back to life. You and your organization should be very proud. A quick question, did McDonald Steel donate both locomotives to Youngstown Steel Heritage (73 and 70) or just the 73? Do you guys have any long term plans for these locomotives, or will they just stay where they are for the time being?

/Andrew


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ohio Works Alco S2s
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:26 am 

Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:29 pm
Posts: 1899
Location: Youngstown, OH
We own both the 70 and the 73. I am still evaluating our options for the 73, including the possibility of moving it along with the 80 tonner to the Lake Shore Railway Museum. 70 will remain on its siding, but will be painted, closed up and kept as a spare parts source for 73. I have no plans to make 70 operable again, except for the prime mover which I want to get running just so I know that I have a good 539 engine in reserve. Just in case...

Fortunately there is no pressure from the steel company to move the locomotive, so I'm not going to rush to any decisions. I would ideally like to find a strip of land somewhere in the valley with rail access that we could purchase and use as our facility for steel industry rail equipment.

_________________
From the desk of Rick Rowlands
inside Conrail caboose 21747


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ohio Works Alco S2s
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:14 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:24 am
Posts: 298
Location: H2O-town, CT
Nice job getting 73 going again! With the 70, do you know what sidelined it? What made the decision to relegate it to a parts unit so many years ago?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ohio Works Alco S2s
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:25 pm 

Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:29 pm
Posts: 1899
Location: Youngstown, OH
McDonald Steel only needed one locomotive, and the 73 had been rewired while 70 had not been. So they kept 73 as the running unit and 70 for parts. Frank Vollhardt took photos of both units running at Ohio Works in 1981. Its stunning how 34 years later the loco that was kept inside looks great while 70 is a rolling wreck.

_________________
From the desk of Rick Rowlands
inside Conrail caboose 21747


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ohio Works Alco S2s
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:27 am 

Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:29 pm
Posts: 1899
Location: Youngstown, OH
Work has begun on a "quick and dirty" paint job on the US Steel 70. This is being done to mainly to improve its appearance and protect it from further deterioration. We plan to keep the 70 around and keep it as our spare parts repository for the 777.

We are just wire wheeling off the rust, applying a coat of primer by brush then will spray on a top coat. For doing these types of quick paint jobs, I'm using a grey sandable primer sold at Tractor Supply. It is heavily bodied, protects well and at $50 a gallon still reasonable in price.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4254463

_________________
From the desk of Rick Rowlands
inside Conrail caboose 21747


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ohio Works Alco S2s
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:32 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:26 am
Posts: 4777
Location: Maine
Rick, which one of the LIRR FA's are you expecting, and to what level are you planning to restore it? That one move to collect used-up ALCO FA's as power-cars for push-pull service, was one of the best (unintended) railroad preservation moves of the early 1970's!

_________________
"It's only impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ohio Works Alco S2s
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:22 pm 

Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:09 pm
Posts: 597
I do believe he is referring to the Cummins model LI600 engine in the GE.

_________________
https://vintagedieseldesign.com/


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: