It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Strasburg RR Introduces Pinball Car
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:02 pm 

Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:44 am
Posts: 154
Next up: the straight razor shaving contest.

_________________
Randall Hicks
Visit Hicks Car Works!
_________________________
Confucius remarked: "There is in the world now really no moral social order at all."


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Strasburg RR Introduces Pinball Car
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:13 pm 

Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:34 pm
Posts: 197
The first time I went to the UK, I landed at Gatwick. Rather than follow almost everyone else on the train to London, I took the train the other way, south to Brighton. And yes, I found an amusement hall where I played a mean game of pinball.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Strasburg RR Introduces Pinball Car
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:23 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:10 am
Posts: 2499
diningcartim wrote:
The first time I went to the UK, I landed at Gatwick. Rather than follow almost everyone else on the train to London, I took the train the other way, south to Brighton. And yes, I found an amusement hall where I played a mean game of pinball.



Tim wins. Flew into Gatwick and went to Brighton. My first was into Heathrow and I went straight to the West End. There were no West End girls for me, I took my married butt up to Kings Cross and headed to the NRM at York. ;-)

Back to the topic at hand, I think this is awesome. As the dad of a 12 year old, I can attest to the fact that vintage pinball and video games is a great generational bonding experience. Where I live, there is a well established vintage pinball "museum" and a vintage video game parlor.

When I told my son about the Strasburg pinball train, his eyes lit up. There's nothing like watching the next generation develop a love of the past and the present. He's outgrown Strasburg's excellent Thomas events, and this car is a perfect way to get him back on board (even though steam is usually enough).

From Steampunk to this, I'd say Strasburg has a great grip on what will draw new blood.

It is a model other operations should take note of, to expand beyond the Thomas age group.

Rob

_________________
Rob


Last edited by robertjohndavis on Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Strasburg RR Introduces Pinball Car
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:58 pm 

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:57 am
Posts: 2599
Location: Faulkland, Delaware
I wonder if the fare includes unlimited play or do you have to feed quarters as well.

_________________
Tom Gears
Wilmington, DE

Maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Strasburg RR Introduces Pinball Car
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:51 pm 

Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:50 pm
Posts: 2815
Location: Northern Illinois
Why, since you'll always get the replay... never seen him fall.

_________________
Dennis Storzek


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Strasburg RR Introduces Pinball Car
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:56 am 

Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:18 pm
Posts: 2226
another meaning to hitting the kicker....


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Strasburg RR Introduces Pinball Car
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:52 am 

Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:52 pm
Posts: 914
I wonder if Ann Margrette will come through covered in fudge?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Strasburg RR Introduces Pinball Car
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:46 am 

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:25 am
Posts: 1025
Ken Russell, who produced the film that so many of the replies refer to, has gone to the great cutting room in the sky (in 2011). But if they can entice Tina Turner into making an appearance as the Acid Queen, the fans will be lined up to Lancaster.

Back in 1993, as part of a visit to England that included a stay on the Isle of Man, we went down to Brighton to ride Volk's Electric Railway, which has run along the seashore since 1883 (back when "electricians" were held in the same awe as "nuclear physicists" are today). But I also took the opportunity to "Play the silver ball" as in "From Soho down to Brighton, I must have played them all."


Attachments:
File comment: But I didn't get a replay..
1993-18.jpg
1993-18.jpg [ 336.39 KiB | Viewed 8442 times ]
1993-16.jpg
1993-16.jpg [ 294.59 KiB | Viewed 8442 times ]

_________________
Bob Davis
Southern California
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Strasburg RR Introduces Pinball Car
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:01 am 

Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 1:37 pm
Posts: 2492
The real question is whether they have Ivar running the train when the car is in use....

_________________
R.M.Ellsworth


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Strasburg RR Introduces Pinball Car
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:54 am 

Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:09 am
Posts: 33
Location: Southeastern PA
The Cape May-Lewes Ferry at one time had pinball machines onboard their ships. Needless to say the tilt was turned off. On more than one occassion I managed to make a few quarters last an entire crossing simply by applying a liberal amount of body English and shaking whenever the ball was close to draining down the wrong chute on the sides.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Strasburg RR Introduces Pinball Car
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:00 am 

Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:34 pm
Posts: 197
Thought for the Strasburg - Back in the early 1990's I rode the "Ghan" from Adelaide to Alice Springs in Australia. At the time they had a "slots car" with a good number of slot machines! After dinner in the diner, I spent an hour or so and ended up a few bucks ahead.

(Yes, I can see the friendly visit from the gaming authorities now!)


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Strasburg RR Introduces Pinball Car
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:34 am 

Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:08 pm
Posts: 417
Location: Amherst, OH
Pinball has really seen a revival of interest within the last few years. While the idea of putting them on a train never crossed my mind it will be interesting to see how this works out.

Semi-unrelated but I think for a long time Strasburg was the model that many railroads were trying to emulate. Having Strasburg try all these different things should also be a model for a more modern world. I think too many railroads have or had the mentality of "I have a train, come ride us" while Strasburg is trying to be an entertainment venue which just also happens to be a train. Good for them. I wish others were as forward thinking.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Strasburg RR Introduces Pinball Car
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:22 pm 

Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:42 pm
Posts: 3013
tomgears wrote:
I wonder if the fare includes unlimited play or do you have to feed quarters as well.


Quote:
Each player will have access to one machine throughout the duration of the 45-minute trip with space available for one guest to accompany the player. Capacity on the Pinball Pendolino is limited to 24.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Strasburg RR Introduces Pinball Car
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:27 pm 

Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:42 pm
Posts: 3013
Bob Davis wrote:
Back in 1993, as part of a visit to England that included a stay on the Isle of Man, we went down to Brighton to ride Volk's Electric Railway, which has run along the seashore since 1883...


Probably a good thing it started in 1883. Can you imagine the reaction if you tried to build a railway with an exposed third rail along a popular beach these days, I'm guessing you'd never get approval and the NIMBY's would go insane. Yet there it is, like some giant Lionel Train set.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Strasburg RR Introduces Pinball Car
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:00 pm 

Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:30 pm
Posts: 56
Now I believe that if Ann Margret were thrown in as part of the attraction, I'd have to quickly plan a trip up to the Strasburg soon!!!


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: