It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: New turntable estimate; Hagerstown; Nick
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:47 pm 

The turntable bridge in Hagerstown was from the W.M. roundhouse there. It did turn the challengers and is 120 feet long. As I recall it was given to the Hagerstown Roundhouse Museum and they hope to use it at a new facility someday.

John Bohon

jhbohon@yahoo.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rivet Counter Spouts Off on TTables
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:44 am 

Paul,

Respectfully I suggest that given the number of turntable bridges out there already displaced or in storage, what is the harm of the Montpelier plan?

Could it be more "railroady?" Heck, yes.

But at the very least, it is styaing home.

Rob

> www.montpelier-vt.org/img/turntable/Tur ... 11-Blg.jpg

> This isn't preservation. Disneyfication?
> Rehabilitation? what is it?
> just poor design as I see it. Put it
> someplace for proper (re)use.


trains@robertjohndavis.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: New turntable estimate; Hagerstown; Nick *NM*
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:41 pm 

hsnyderjr@attbi.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Available Turntables
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:38 am 

Thank you all for the info and the leads.

I like to see things preserved in their original settings. On the other hand, if I can make a table that is not longer used or cared for "live" again for visitors to see and experience, that is a good thing.

Ryan

rscott@gsmr.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rivet Counter Spouts Off on TTables
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 10:09 pm 

> My favorite is the LNE shop at Pen Argyl,
> PA who's fate is TBD (thought the site is a
> tremendously complete steam era facilitiy
> with a huge 1911 shop building, there have
> been no museum proposals that I know of).

Rob

I tend to agree with you on the turntable issue. I am somewhat embarrassed to say I have never visited the Pen Argyl site, which is in my old stomping grounds. I do seem to recall a friend telling me once that the site was heavily contaminated, I believe with Beryllium, which can be pretty toxic. A cleanup could be prohibitive.

Perhaps someone in the area knows more...? I would like to visit it someday.


  
 
 Post subject: "Be" contaminated site is LV
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 12:14 pm 

My apologies! Once again, my faulty memory has led me astray!

It was the Lehigh Valley's large roundhouse and backshop at Ashmore, outside Hazleton, which was a beryllium plant. Apparently those buildings have already been demolished, and the site is fenced off.

Will try to check out Pen Argyl next time east.


  
 
 Post subject: Ashmore
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 12:39 pm 

Hi Paul,

Yes, Ashmore was leveled some years back. I stood outside the fence and took some shots of the roundhose after demolition had begun.

I was on a "roundhouse bender" back then, trying to get inside all the endangered ones. Ashore was one I stayed out of.

My best "inside job" was a with-permission morning of free reign in the B&M Boston Engine Terminal 3 months before demolition.

It's funny, I have wanted to shoot inside the CPR St. Luc roundhouse, and for my both visits there I have been all over the site (again with full permission), even had a cab ride on the turntable, but have never been inside. Being the newest large roundhouse in NA, it's a pretty neat structure.

I have not been inside any of the Pen Argyl buildings, having never secured a release.

Rob

PS: I don't want to sound like an angel, but I do try to be "official" on any site that's not abandoned -- especially northeastern sites now involved with construction or refuse companies. ;-) I like to look at concrete, not wear it!

trains@robertjohndavis.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Available Turntables
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:46 am 

I belong to a railroad museum that is actually looking for an electric turntables in the 100' to 110' range that are looking for a new home. It would be nice if someone could notify me, about a possible "Harriman" Pony-truss turntable. As this was the same style that was originally in use in our area of the country.

The only other consideration is, finding out how much will the turntable cost...as most museums are cash poor.

Thank you for your help!

Anthony Pinkerton


calgrizzly@gay.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Available Turntables
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:35 am 

I'm not sure why a museum would want more than one turntable, but for now, a "boneyard" for storing orphan turntables might not be a bad idea to prevent their being scrapped. Sort of like the guy in Washington that has his entire junkyard filled with 55-57 Chevys. The "highest and best use" of these artifacts will be to restore authentic roundhouses, like the ones at Hugo, Colorado and Las Vegas, New Mexico, or replicate others on their original foundations. Use at "never was" museum sites would come next in the food chain. If a turntable manages to be saved outside of our field of interest, people come up with some wacky ideas for them, as seen in the Montpelier, Vermont link below:



http://www.montpelier-vt.org/wip/turntablepark/notes.cfm
ryarger@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Available Turntables
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:00 pm 

If there are any 110' turntables out there in need of a good home, we don't have one, please send it our way. (Main line trackage close by)

The PRR roundhouse facility @ Crestline, Ohio has an open space reserved for a turntable. [Last owner scraped the former turntable.]The turntable pit is now a fish pond.

Visit Bill Ayer's informational and historical web site to see more on the PRR Crestline roundhouse facility:
http://crestline.pennsyrr.com

Our Crestline Roundhouse Preservation Society would appreciate any consideration or assistance pertaining to a turntable for the site.

Ron Widman, Past President.
Crestline Roundhouse Preservation Society

> I'm not sure why a museum would want more
> than one turntable, but for now, a
> "boneyard" for storing orphan
> turntables might not be a bad idea to
> prevent their being scrapped. Sort of like
> the guy in Washington that has his entire
> junkyard filled with 55-57 Chevys. The
> "highest and best use" of these
> artifacts will be to restore authentic
> roundhouses, like the ones at Hugo, Colorado
> and Las Vegas, New Mexico, or replicate
> others on their original foundations. Use at
> "never was" museum sites would
> come next in the food chain. If a turntable
> manages to be saved outside of our field of
> interest, people come up with some wacky
> ideas for them, as seen in the Montpelier,
> Vermont link below:



r35bl4s@juno.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Available Turntables
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:40 pm 

there was a table available at Illinios Transit corporation, don't know if still available or suitable for you but the link is www.iltransit.com
click on steam/other as far as I remember...

johnbowers3@compuserve.com


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: