It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Woodburner at Fillmore?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 3:25 pm 

This newspiece for the Fillmore & Western in Cal. is written with the usual hokum, but I note it speaks of a woodburning steam locomotive. As they just sent GW 51 back to Colorado (it burned oil out there anyway), I suspect they might be talking about the ancient Porter 0-4-0T originally from the Rouge River line in Oregon. It is operable still?

http://u.sbsun.com/Stories/0,1413,216%257E24290%257E1255015,00.html
ryarger@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Woodburner at Fillmore?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 3:52 pm 

They're also working on former Duluth & Northeastern 2-8-0 no. 14 out there, but I have no idea how close she is to being operable. She's a coal burner, but I'm not sure if they plan to convert her to oil (or wood?) as part of the restoration.

rjenkins@railfan.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Woodburner at Fillmore?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:44 pm 

Yes the locomotive is still operable I helped move it a number of years ago when it left the Saugus/Castaic area

They use it for special events, but it does not usually pull any cars.


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Woodburner at Fillmore?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 12:31 pm 

The little 0-4-0 ran here in Cottage Grove for many years on the J.H. Chambers railroad and was always called the Dinkey. My Great-Grandpa ran it early on in his railroading career, although I don't think it was used much after larger engines came around.

kendepot@att.net


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: