It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: did I miss something somewhere????
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:08 am 

came across this on (whereelse?) eBay. I'll admit with only 4-5 years of doing this, I am far from experienced--but I haven't heard any of the 'old hats' describe what they would listen for in the lubricators to know if they were functioning or not.

hope it sets a smile on your face for the next few hours....

"Blowin' yer lubers"
utweyesguy@aol.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: did I miss something somewhere????
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:25 am 

thanks for the laughs, I can't believe some folks, reminds me of the one person on ebay who was selling a safety valve who said it had a beautiful tone.

> came across this on (whereelse?) eBay. I'll
> admit with only 4-5 years of doing this, I
> am far from experienced--but I haven't heard
> any of the 'old hats' describe what they
> would listen for in the lubricators to know
> if they were functioning or not.

> hope it sets a smile on your face for the
> next few hours....


2816 shots on trainorders.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: did I miss something somewhere????
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:43 am 

I haven't decided whether the sellers really are cluesless, or they are cynically hoping that the buyers are.

In this case though, I'd really hate to be responsible when some idiot actually tried it and got hit in the face with flying glass.


  
 
 Post subject: Re: did I miss something somewhere????
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:51 am 

> thanks for the laughs, I can't believe some
> folks, reminds me of the one person on ebay
> who was selling a safety valve who said it
> had a beautiful tone.
I would think that any sound a "Safety valve" makes would be beautiful! At least you know it's working. The ones that don't would worry me!!
Bob

rrnut@prodigy.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: did I miss something somewhere????
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:03 am 

That looks like the chain "lubers" on our Plymouth ...have to find a place to hook air to 'em and listen for that mellow sound!


lamontdc@adelphia.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: did I miss something somewhere????
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:11 pm 

Maybe its the railroad equivalent of listening to a sea shell. You don't have to stand as close when pressurized.....

The question is begged, which sound does it generate????


  
 
 Post subject: Re: did I miss something somewhere????
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:53 pm 

> Maybe its the railroad equivalent of
> listening to a sea shell. You don't have to
> stand as close when pressurized.....

> The question is begged, which sound does it
> generate????

Answer: Ca-ching! the sound of a Cash Register.


  
 
 Post subject: Re: did I miss something somewhere????
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:04 pm 

Hey! I bought a steam locomotive lubricator from this guy last month. It's a big brass cylinder with "Nathan" stamped on it and a handle on the side. The oil keeps running out of these holes in it. I think it must be defective! :-)



whodom2001@yahoo.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: did I miss something somewhere????
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:13 pm 

> Hey! I bought a steam locomotive lubricator
> from this guy last month. It's a big brass
> cylinder with "Nathan" stamped on
> it and a handle on the side. The oil keeps
> running out of these holes in it. I think it
> must be defective! :-)

Hugh-

a handle on the side??? you got the kind that requires a monkey with a tin cup as you crank the handle.... ;-)

doc

Heber Valley Railroad
utweyesguy@aol.com


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: