It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: steam in pennsylvania
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:56 pm 

Hi,
I am planning a trip through Pennsylvania August 14- 17th. I am going to Strasburg and to the steam show at Kinzers, I am curious what other steam I can catch along the way. I am thinking about the EBT but I am really curious about what I believe is a bear farm in Honesdale. I remember seeing they had a steam railroad, what happened to that place, I can't really find any information on the net about it. Is it still running? That would be really good because it is a little closer to on the way home. has anyone heard anything about the new live steam addition at Strasburg, when will it be running and how often will it be running? I don't mind chasing steam in amusement parks. So are there any steamers running in tourist traps like that and are worth visiting.
thanks for any help
matt

mstolzenfels@hotmail.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: steam in pennsylvania *NM*
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:03 am 

keith_schell@toyota.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: steam in pennsylvania
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:11 am 

Strasburg railroad now has a Cagney steam engine in operation . It is a small amusement size real sream engine that they run point to point on a small set of track . They even have a small bridge it goes over . I saw it last week and they did a great job on this small engine. It is a must see !

keith_schell@toyota.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: steam in pennsylvania
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:16 am 

If you don't mind park trains, check out Knoebels Grove near Elysburg, Pa. (nearest big town Bloomsburg), which last I heard was still runninga Cagney steamer as well as a 1.5 mile gas-hydraulic (Crown?) line through the woods. Check out www.knoebels.com . They also rate high as roller coaster "preservationists"--check out the story behind the Phoenix. There was also a de-tanked 0-4-0ST plinthed there, but I have the nagging feeling I heard it's gone now.....)


  
 
 Post subject: Re: steam in pennsylvania
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:18 am 

> Hi,
> I am planning a trip through Pennsylvania
> August 14- 17th. I am going to Strasburg and
> to the steam show at Kinzers, I am curious
> what other steam I can catch along the way.

> I don't mind
> chasing steam in amusement parks. So are
> there any steamers running in tourist traps
> like that and are worth visiting.
> thanks for any help

My dad lives in suburban Philly, so I know this area pretty well.

If you want to see a nifty park train operation, go to Hershey Park in Hershey. They have a pair of 2' guage Crown Metals 4-4-0s. The line is quite scenic, although it's tough to railfan. The best spot for photos IMHO is to get up to the fence around the bend just before the train gets to the station. There's a pretty steep grade there that works the little locos quite nicely. They actually have to make a run at that hill. Several years ago, I saw a rookie engineer stall on that hill -- I thought the rods of that poor little engine were going to fly off. Maintenance guys came from everywhere to push.

EBT is worth the detour. Period. If you're going that far, you might as well hit Horshoe Curve and the museum in Altoona as well.

There's also a good bit of stuff just a bit farther east of the SRR. There's the good ol' No Hope & Insolvent just north of Philly, the Black River & Western across the river in NJ, and the Wilmington & Western in Wilmington, DE. You've also got Steamtown in Scranton and Rail Tours in Jim Thorpe.

The South Carolina Railroad Museum
mconrad@compuzone.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: steam in pennsylvania
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:20 am 

Matt,

Not sure about the German 2' engine at Big BEar Farm.

If the way home for you takes you north, I suggest two "don't miss" lines: the Wanamaker, Kepmton & Southern and the 42" ga. lokies and mine tour in Ashland.

Also, check Steamtown's schedule. They are running 4 days a week in August, including Saturday morning trips to Carbondale.

If you come home up the Delaware, the New Hope & Ivyland is running steam 7 days a week.

Also, don't forget that the Wilmington & Western in Delaware is only a short drive south of Strasburg.

But, and here is the but, if you have never been to the EBT, then take the time and do it. It is a *must* see for all steam buffs.

Rob

> Hi,
> I am planning a trip through Pennsylvania
> August 14- 17th. I am going to Strasburg and
> to the steam show at Kinzers, I am curious
> what other steam I can catch along the way.
> I am thinking about the EBT but I am really
> curious about what I believe is a bear farm
> in Honesdale. I remember seeing they had a
> steam railroad, what happened to that place,
> I can't really find any information on the
> net about it. Is it still running? That
> would be really good because it is a little
> closer to on the way home. has anyone heard
> anything about the new live steam addition
> at Strasburg, when will it be running and
> how often will it be running? I don't mind
> chasing steam in amusement parks. So are
> there any steamers running in tourist traps
> like that and are worth visiting.
> thanks for any help
> matt


rdavis@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: Knoebels, Big Bear Farm and More
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:36 am 

Hello

The "Big Bear Farm" as it is called seemed like an odd place when I visited. When I stopped by I didn't go in as it was closing in a half-hour, but it seemed to me like it was one of those "one man" operations. There was a full size CNJ coach and a caboose at the entrance, although I have no idea how that guy got there up there. The steam engine was a German 2ft 0-4-0ST. I believe they had a gas engine as well. I did a google search some time ago, and its still listed here and there. A drive by might be in order one of these days.... There is also the D&H Stourbridge Lion Replica in the Wayne County Historical Society Museum in downtown Honesdale.

Knoebels is a great place for a park Train aficionado like myself. They have a small Crown live steamer on a short dog-bone shaped loop and a longer run with gas powered equipment that is about a mile and a half long. The gas-powered stuff is great in its own right, there are steam outline engines and very credible F-3 replica's manufactured by the "Miniature Train Company" decades ago. Last I counted 6 different units on the longer loop.

Knoebels is something of a throwback, old fashioned family park. There is a wood splitting operation with a real wood burning steam tractor and there is even a trolley car off-trucks near the live steam run. There is an 0-4-0 with saddle tank removed as well as a few mining relics at the "Anthracite Museum" on the property. All in all, itÂ’s worth the visit. In the nearby town of Catawissa there is an 0-6-0 at the caboose/station hotel there.

Somewhat near Knoebels is the Pioneer Tunnel and Steam Train with an operating 0-4-0T in Ashland. Can't forget the Wanamaker Kempton and Southern, New Hope and Ivyland and Steamtown...

God I love Pennsylvania.

Dave Crosby


bing@epix.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: steam in pennsylvania
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:40 am 

If you're looking for steam...

The Wannamaker Kempton & Southern Railroad (www.kemptontrain.com) is about an hour's drive north of Strasburg/Kinzers. They should running their Porter 0-6-0T on the 16-17.

The New Hope & Ivyland Railroad (www.newhoperailroad.com) is about an hour and half to the east. They should be running their Baldwin 2-8-0. Cab rides are available if you like your steam up close and personal.

Steamtown (www.nps.gov/stea/home.htm) has its regular excursions to Moscow on the 14-15, plus trips to Carbondale on the 16 and Tobyhanna on the 17.

Although the Wilmington & Western Railroad (www.wwrr.com) doesn't have any steam operation scheduled during the time of your visit, their operation is still worth a visit. They're within an hour's drive south of Strasburg via Route 41 from Gap, Pa.

When thinking of steam, lot of folks forget about the Pioneer Coal Mine Tunnel Railroad (www.pioneertunnel.com) up in Ashland, Pa. (about two hours to the north). The train ride is short, but hey steam is steam! They run an authentic 42-inch Vulcan 0-4-0T coal mine lokie. Plus the coal mine tour (via electric mine train) is interesting and a good way to cool off on a hot day!

Of course EBT (www.ebtrr.com) is ALWAYS worth a visit if you can fit in your travel schedule.

Besure to leave plenty of time for the Rough & Tumble Old Threshermens Reunion (www.roughandtumble.org)--I now go 2 of the 4 days to see everything! Thursday and Friday seem to be the best days to attend this show (things are still getting set up on Wed. and some exhibitors leave before end on Sat.). R&T's two steam trains (homemade 30-inch gauge Shay and 15-inch gauge Crown 4-4-0) should be running.

As for the Andy Burr's BIG BEAR FARM, I'm not sure if he is still open for business. Last time I was up there was around 1995. Andy is an interesting fellow and has (had?) a neat two-foot gauge railroad that runs (ran) about a half mile along the top of the hill overlooking his game park. He was running a funky little cabless Whitcomb gas "critter" on his line. He also has a Krauss (German) 0-4-0 "well tank" steam engine (think LGB trains), which he used to operate from time to time. The Krauss has the really-cool-to-watch Stephenson "outside frame" valve gear.

Regards,
Jim Robinson


  
 
 Post subject: Re: steam in pennsylvania
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:48 am 

Matt,

Depending on how things go, we may be ready with the 91 on the Middletown and Hummelstown Railroad (I can't promise that), and we're only about an hour from Strasburg. If she's not finished by that time, the 16th is a regular steam work day, so you may at least get a look at her in the shop getting her finishing touches in preparation for operation. And in that case, the train will be pulled by a vintage GE 65 tonner.

Hershey Park is less than a half-hour away from Middletown, and they have two nice Crown park engines, which you can spot crossing a wooden trestle on Park Avenue near the Parkside Cafe just off Hershey Park Drive, if you'd rather not pay park admission just to see the the train.

Harrisburg's City Island also has a Crown park engine that runs around the island. I don't know when exactly it operates.

Knoebels is about an hour and a half from Harrisburg-Middletown area, and they have a coal-fired Crown park engine that runs through the park, and another gasoline engine powered train that runs through the woods. Admission to the park is free, and it's a very nice, old-fashioned amusement park generally.

Pioneer Tunnel in Ashland is fairly close to Knoebels. And I recommend the mine tour, especially on a hotter-than-hell day, as a great way to cool off.

The Yuengling Brewery is also not too far away. That's another good tour and another good way to cool off ;) .

Steve Zarick


smzarick@hotmail.com


  
 
 Post subject: Don't forget the Dorney Park Zephyr
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:30 pm 

This miniature train takes riders on a scenic trip that ends where it begins. Added to the Park in 1935, the Zephyr helped Dorney Park survive the Great Depression. It is a one-of-a- kind train designed after the Burlington Zephyr--the first streamline train. This ride is themed with scare-free fun for all ages during HalloWeekends.

Electric City Trolley Museum Association


  
 
 Post subject: Re: steam in pennsylvania
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:33 pm 

FWIW The weekend before (Aug 9,10) will be the first try for a summer model engineering expo held at the York, Pa fairgrounds (not too far away) They are expecing vendors and exhibitors from all over the country, and even a few international ones.

Then of course there's always Gettysburg, no trains but still worth the visit.


Iron Fever Expo


  
 
 Post subject: Re: steam in pennsylvania
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:41 pm 

> Not sure about the German 2' engine at Big
> BEar Farm.

I spend alot of time in Honesdale and I cant find the place only rumors and also I heard that the engine now know longer in operation.


  
 
 Post subject: Hit EBT and Steamtown
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:07 pm 

My don't miss suggestions would be EBT and Steamtown. The EBT is one-of-a-kind --- something you will never forget. Truly a time capsule that may not be around much longer. And Steamtown is the only place in eastern PA were you can really get some steam railroading (right now) --- a heavy weight pacific working its butt off to climp 800 feet in 13 miles and at a nice clip too. If you want to hear the sounds of steam it's the place to go --- be sure to sit in the front car and open all the windows. The Strasburg and NH&I are okay, but you won't even hear the engine working.


  
 
 Post subject: Re: steam in pennsylvania
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:15 am 

> Then of course there's always Gettysburg, no
> trains but still worth the visit.

That will be QUITE a surprise to the several busloads of NRHS Convention participants that just rode up to Gettysburg to ride the Gettysburg Scenic Railway. Or the guys who work the CSX local through town.

Agreed, it isn't steam (the whole point of this thread), but it IS railroading that you can ride--and even THAT can't be taken for granted anymore.


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hit EBT and Steamtown
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:41 am 

> The
> Strasburg and NH&I are okay, but you
> won't even hear the engine working.

I beg to differ. Strasburg has a bit of a hill coming west out of Groff's Grove. I got a good sound tape at the Cherry Hill crossing a few years ago. Even #90 worked a bit starting her train after the station stop and meet at Groff's. I'll admit that it was nothing to compare with the 611 starting a 20-car train just below Melrose, NC in 1994 (first time I ever felt the earth shake from a steam engine). But the SRR *can* put on a pretty good show.

The Parktrains Website
mconrad@compuzone.net


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: