It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Steamtown 2004 - Moscow Trip Eliminated
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:59 am 

Train and engine service volunteers were informed yesterday that the regular Moscow excursion will be cancelled for 2004.

As of now, the 100+ trips run during the operating season will scaled back to 30 trips. Reasons cited were a multi-year decrease in ridership and increasing insurance costs.

The trips that will be run will be to destinations like Carbondale, Tobyhanna and East Strudsburg. Their will also be considerations of "sponsored" trips.



Superheater@rrmail.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steamtown 2004 - Moscow Trip Eliminated
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:09 am 

How far east from Scranton toward the Delaware Water Gap does ex-DL&W track exist?
How far east do Steamtown trains actually run? I see the station names like Moscow, Tobyhanna, etc., but never know which is the longest trip.

> Train and engine service volunteers were
> informed yesterday that the regular Moscow
> excursion will be cancelled for 2004.

> As of now, the 100+ trips run during the
> operating season will scaled back to 30
> trips. Reasons cited were a multi-year
> decrease in ridership and increasing
> insurance costs.

> The trips that will be run will be to
> destinations like Carbondale, Tobyhanna and
> East Strudsburg. Their will also be
> considerations of "sponsored"
> trips.


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steamtown 2004 - Moscow Trip Eliminated
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:22 am 

> How far east from Scranton toward the
> Delaware Water Gap does ex-DL&W track
> exist?
> How far east do Steamtown trains actually
> run? I see the station names like Moscow,
> Tobyhanna, etc., but never know which is the
> longest trip.

There is track in place all the way to the Gap, as I recall--but exactly how much of the last lap is actually safe for pasenger trains I do not know. Moscow is the first station out of Scranton, about 13 miles distant (26-mile RT at decent mainline speeds); Tobyhanna is perhaps another 20 miles; then Pocono Summit, then Cresco and down to the River.


lner4472@bcpl.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steamtown 2004 - Moscow Trip Eliminated
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:31 pm 

Hey All

Let me get into the office tomorrow afternoon I'll have some milage figures and more for you.

Take Care...

Dave Crosby

bing@epix.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steamtown 2004 - Moscow Trip Eliminated
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:12 pm 

> Hey All

> Let me get into the office tomorrow
> afternoon I'll have some milage figures and
> more for you.

> Take Care...

> Dave Crosby

In the meantime, here are the towns, working from Scranton east:
Scranton
Gouldsboro
Tobyhanna
Pocono Summit
Mt. Pocono
Cresco
Analomink
East Stroudsburg
Delaware Water Gap
Slateford Jct.

Slateford Jct. was where the Lackawanna Cutoff left the "Old Road" and crossed the Delaware River. Today it is the interchange point between the Delaware-Lackawanna and Norfolk Southern


Erie Lackawanna Dining Car Preservation Society


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steamtown 2004 - Moscow Trip Eliminated
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:54 pm 

My family and I had the distinct pleasure of visiting Steamtown and riding the train to Moscow on the 4th of July. I must state that it was great to spend a national holiday at a National Historic Site. The museum is fabulous and I was able to reacquaint myself with the treasures of the collection that I last saw in VT in 1984-85. My visit was long overdue. My last ride behind Steamtown steam was on July 15 1972 in Vermont. I still have my ticket stub. Does anybody out there know what steamer was on duty? 1246, 1278, 1293, or 15? My kids were asking but I was too young to recall.

It a treat to speak with many of the park service rangers and the volunteers-all well versed and real pros in their roles at the site. I am 5 hours away and am quite envious of those who are close enough to visit more often than I! The roundhouse tour, restoration shop tour, freight train demo, and steam engine prep at 9:30 AM was a real moving experience for me and the whole family. Where else does all this take place for a very reasonable fee, historic surroundings and a fantastic ride behind a good-sized Pacific?
If 2816 is the Empress, I think 2317 is the Princess!
It is unfortunate that more folks do not get to the site and at least ride the train. On the 4th, there was what seemed good size patronage on the train, but the site was pretty much devoid of visitors.
The mission of the site is significant and correct. Preserve and keep for future generations, but somehow, a message needs to get to a broader audience, otherwise, this too will pass.
The premise of the move to an area (Scranton) was that there is literally millions of people within a two hour drive (Metropolis). They were supposed to make the turnstiles need new bearings! Is is a case of "if you rebuild it, thaey will come"?
I am cognicent that tourism is way down all over; even here in New England and I hope and pray that all the good work and money invested in the site will continue to happen so that the mission of the site will be accomplished and my children's kids will get to experience a trip to Steamtown.
Personally, I spend two full days and didn't see enough. Gotta go back.



bigboy4884@charter.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steamtown 2004 - Moscow Trip Eliminated
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:45 am 

If you are taking my tax money for Steam, I want steam when I go. Did anybody study to see how much park attendance will fall when steam is not operated?

jeff@compucomis.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steamtown 2004 - Moscow Trip Eliminated
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:12 am 

> If you are taking my tax money for Steam, I
> want steam when I go. Did anybody study to
> see how much park attendance will fall when
> steam is not operated?
I tend to agree. Just remember to put the blame where it lies. In Washington and with the bureaucracy; not with the nuts and bolts folks that keep the trains running.


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steamtown 2004 - Moscow Trip Eliminated
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:54 am 

What's sad is there is nothing more American then trains --- railroading is Americana at its best and worst. I guess most people would rather spend their money buying stuff made in China at Walmart.


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steamtown 2004 - Moscow Trip Eliminated
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:46 pm 

They have probably been hit with lower visitation and possibly higher insurance rates as a lot of the organizations have.

Dale

> What's sad is there is nothing more American
> then trains --- railroading is Americana at
> its best and worst. I guess most people
> would rather spend their money buying stuff
> made in China at Walmart.


dgrice@motorola.com


  
 
 Post subject: What are the full 2004 plans?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:28 am 

Hi friends,

I am trying to see if there is still water in glass in Scranton. I get back from vacatation and find all sorts of bad news.

On the Steamtown front, I understand no Moscow trips in 2004. I hate to say it, but in some ways I am suprised they lasted this long. In stead, there will be 30 more "special" trips. OK. So there will be mainline steam, at least.

Now, I am assuming that there will also be steam shuttles, yard demos and the like, so that visitors to the park will still see operating steam. Is that a correct assumption?

Rob


  
 
 Post subject: FYI: Above question about Steamtown n/m *NM*
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:29 am 

No Message


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: