It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: TEA-21 to end?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:37 pm 

David Wilkins has promised some updates on TEA-21, but in the meantime, I noticed this in Flimsies. How do you read it? Looks like the end to me..

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/200/metro/Cut_could_spell_end_to_rail_trail_projects+.shtml
ryarger@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: Another story
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:40 pm 

A different version, but the same bad news. I know how I voted last election, how about you?

http://www.forbes.com/markets/newswire/2003/07/11/rtr1023282.html
ryarger@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: What I know so far
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:10 pm 

Yes Bob, I know how I voted last election, but I doubt that has all that much to do with it. After all, TEA-21 was approved by a Congress with the same parties controlling both houses back in the late 1990s that control both houses today.

TEA-21 will expire anyway. The new legislation will carry a new name, and thus a new acronym. What is in danger is the enhancement monies that were included as part of the original highway bill. From what I discovered, those supporting the striped down bill are not in favor of including enhancement monies for things such as RR museums, rails to trails, streetcars, etc in a Federal Highway bill.

The story Bob posted confirms what I know. I was going to place some calls tomorrow to see what is up on the Senate side. It appears that some members our the House want to increase the gas tax (which runs the Federal portion of TEA-21) by one cent and then use most of the money on highway funds. The justification is that highways have not been properly funded in the past several years. Of course, the bill has to come out of committee and be approved by the House. Then, the Senate will work on their own version. From what I understand, the House's version of the bill that strips out the enhancement money is not what the Administration proposed. It leads me to believe that either the road paving and trucking lobby has gotten to some in the House, or the committee is recognizing some problems with our highway infrastructure. After all, I live in a state that is currently beset by crumbling roads, rusting bridges, and a metropolitan area that is beset by highway gridlock. There is light rail on the drawing boards, but it won't be a large enough system to start out with. But, enough with the digression.

What is the bottom line? Well, the bill has to attain approval in the Senate. Remember, a one person majority for either party in the House means that you run the entire show, and basically ram legislation down the other party's throat. The Senate, on the other hand, is designed to move along legislation much more slowly. It takes 60 votes to move for Cloture, meaning to end debate and actually vote on a bill in the Senate, thus it is easier for the minority party to express some moderating influence on legislation. More importantly, Amtrak has bipartisan support in the Senate, and even in the House, as well as possibly enhancement monies. In the end, the best thing to do is to call or write your Congressperson/Senator. This is especially important if you are a member of an organization that has benefited from TEA monies in the past. That is the best way to tell you Congressperson/Senator to keep bringing home the bacon (or pork, if you prefer) to the district and state. Either way, it isn't over until the Fat Lady sings. Don't abandon all hope, but still use your power as a citizen. It will certainly be worth watching.


david.wilkins@inisightbb.com


  
 
 Post subject: NOW is the time to write your Congressman
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:54 am 

OK everybody, if you have nay interest in seeing this money remain available NOW is a good time to write your Congressman. If we do not lobby to save the single Federal program which has been most important to us in half a decade, there's no helping us.

I have e-mailed my Congressman today. I attach my letter for others to use as a template if they wish. You can get your representative's address at http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW.html.

____________________________

Dear Congressman Van Hollen--

I learned with great dismay this morning that the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Transportation, Treasury and Independent Agencies under the chairmanship of Rep. Ernest J. Istook (R-OK) has moved to abolish the Transportation Enhancements program from the reauthorization of the Surface Transportation bill.

Though little heralded, the Transportation Enhancements program under ISTEA and TEA-21 has been one of the best Smart Growth investments the U.S. Congress had made in a decade. The program has funded intermodal transfer stations to ease transit-based commuting; bike, hike and Rail Trail commuting and recreational facilities; and investments in our irreplaceable transportation-related heritage and infrastructure. Among the programs very important to me in our own district which have received assistance from this program is the National Capital Trolley Museum. Elsewhere in Maryland the bill has funded valuable programs such as renovating a rail station into a community center in the Eastern Shore town of Snow Hill, MD, and furthering the completion of the Western Maryland rail-trail which links the C&O Canal with Southern Pennsylvania via Frostburg.

Please keep this issue on your radar as the reauthorization bill progresses. I encourage you to collaborate with Republican members of the Maryland delegation whose districts have also benefited extensively from this program to work to reverse this unwise and retrogressive vote.

Many Thanks,
Erik Ledbetter
Address, etc.

eledbetter@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: NY State examples?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:25 am 

Can someone provide some specific examples of TEA-21 funds spent (wisely) in NY State? I think I can name some, but want to be sure the funds came from TEA-21 and not some other source. I'd like to be sure of my facts before writing.. I think our local Saratoga depot project got some, but that has turned out a boondoggle, so other projects might be preferable.

ryarger@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: Re: NY State examples?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:31 am 

Here you go...

http://www.dot.state.ny.us/progs/rd2final80.html

NY State TEA-21 Enhancements Awards
eledbetter@rypn.org


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: