It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Milan replacements
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:52 pm 

It seems every trolley operation in the US has Peter Witt cars from Milan, Italy. Found some photos of what apparently replaced them over there. What a contrast..

http://abpr.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?december02/12-24-02/milan-7022b_Rt.14_Piazza_Cordusio_DavidPirmannPhoto_9-27-2002.jpg
ryarger@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Milan replacements
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:22 am 

> It seems every trolley operation in the US
> has Peter Witt cars from Milan, Italy. Found
> some photos of what apparently replaced them
> over there. What a contrast..

Well we could sure use a few more over here. What is the current status of these cars, and who has been involved in importing them in the past?

janklorenzen@msn.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Milan replacements
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:42 am 

The San Francisco MUNI has a bunch of them running every day on the F Line. I don't know just who but the Planning Dept can most likely tell you something.

Further on MUNI, they just bought 3 cars back from the Orange empire Railway Museum. A heavy weight and two PCCs. I believe that are now on MUNI property. But it will be a while before they are running, as all need a lot of work. The transfer took a long time because too many lawyers, from both sides, got into the act.

MUNI also bought three PCCs from a person in Lake Tahoe who is trying to start an operation. That F Line is really packing them in. Both tourists and regular locals like me ride it every chance we go.
Not many transit agencys are replaceing Diesel buses with street cars!

ted_miles@nps.gov


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Milan replacements
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:34 pm 

> Well we could sure use a few more over here.
> What is the current status of these cars,
> and who has been involved in importing them
> in the past?

I think the big dealer of Milan cars in the U.S. is Gomaco, which (according to their website) imported 71 of these cars. I bet they still have most of them, although some have been stripped for parts to supply the Tampa and Little Rock replicas.

Frank Hicks

Gomaco Milan cars
fullparallel@wideopenwest.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Milan replacements
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:32 pm 

> The San Francisco MUNI has a bunch of them
> running every day on the F Line. I don't
> know just who but the Planning Dept can most
> likely tell you something.

> Further on MUNI, they just bought 3 cars
> back from the Orange empire Railway Museum.
> A heavy weight and two PCCs. I believe that
> are now on MUNI property. But it will be a
> while before they are running, as all need a
> lot of work. The transfer took a long time
> because too many lawyers, from both sides,
> got into the act.

> MUNI also bought three PCCs from a person in
> Lake Tahoe who is trying to start an
> operation. That F Line is really packing
> them in. Both tourists and regular locals
> like me ride it every chance we go.
> Not many transit agencys are replaceing
> Diesel buses with street cars!

Add LACMTA to the list. This morning my wife and I left home at 4am to ride the first Gold Line train (247 and 232 for the trivia fans) from East Pasadena to LAUPT (following the former ATSF 2nd District) and back. Yesterday I took photos of buses on the 401 line, which has now joined the SF Muni 32 Embarcadero bus line in transit history!
Regarding the streetcar sale to Muni, as a member of both OERM and Market Street Ry., I'm happy to see the 162, 1033 and 1039 go back home. OERM still has Muni 171, but it looks a bit out of place on our more "interurbanly" main line. Not that I want to see it go north, it's the first car I ever operated, and we have allowed VIP's to run it (with supervision) because old Muni cars are fairly easy to operate.
Bob Davis


brunettedavis@aol.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Milan replacements
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:35 pm 

> I think the big dealer of Milan cars in the
> U.S. is Gomaco, which (according to their
> website) imported 71 of these cars. I bet
> they still have most of them, although some
> have been stripped for parts to supply the
> Tampa and Little Rock replicas.

> Frank Hicks
Hi Frank - Great to see you on the Trolleyville trip this past weekend.
I talked to Gomaco a couple of years ago about the Milan cars, but the asking price for them was way out of sight even back then. I have talked to people who had been in contact with the Milan transit authority and had a whole import project ready to go, but nothing had come of it. Anybody know what happened??

janklorenzen@msn.com


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: