It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Is this "the" Strasburg Railroad? *PIC*
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:40 pm 

Hello All

I'm not one for putting things I find on ebay up here, but I saw this and thought some might be interested. It says "Locomotive Strasburg, RR". Can't quite place it (although the building in the back looks like the Espenshade Turkey Farm) and can't read the lettering on the engine either. Given the rarity of pre-preservation photos of the Strasburg, I thought it might be of interest.

Dave Crosby

P.S. I'm not the one selling it....


Strasburg RR?
Image
bing@epix.net


  
 
 Post subject: Yep..........
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:25 pm 

.... according to Tom Taber and Benjamin F.G. Kline Jr. Taber reproduces this image in his "Railroads of Pennsylvania Encyclopedia & Atlas" from the Ben Kline collection. The card supposedly shows #935, a former PRR D5 4-4-0 built by Altoona in 1873 and acquired by the Strasburg in October 1892.

LNER4472-NOSPAM-@bcpl.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is this "the" Strasburg Railroad?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:20 pm 

This postcard was one of a series published by Donald E.L. Hallock in 1961 for sale at the Strasburg RR's first souvenir stand and counter on coach "Cherry Hill." They are somewhat scarce and occasionally pop up at flea markets and at post card shows. The image is also featured in the Strasburg RR history exhibition, slated to close December 7. Incidentally this image of the ex-PRR 4-4-0 is the oldest known photograph of the Strasburg RR to have survived.

> Hello All

> I'm not one for putting things I find on
> ebay up here, but I saw this and thought
> some might be interested. It says
> "Locomotive Strasburg, RR". Can't
> quite place it (although the building in the
> back looks like the Espenshade Turkey Farm)
> and can't read the lettering on the engine
> either. Given the rarity of pre-preservation
> photos of the Strasburg, I thought it might
> be of interest.

> Dave Crosby

> P.S. I'm not the one selling it....


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is this "the" Strasburg Railroad?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:19 am 

The picture was taken on the coal trestle at the feed mill in Strasburg. The photographer is standing on what is now the driveway to the antique store (the eastern building, not the wedge shaped brick tobacco warehouse) and is more or less facing east toward the ranch style house that is built on the foundation of the old lumber shed. Directly behind the cars would be the present telephone building.

Strasburg Rail Road
linnwm@supernet.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is this "the" Strasburg Railroad?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:49 pm 

Hello All

Thanks for the info. I definitly have to check out that Strasburg History Exhibit before it closes.

Dave Crosby

bing@epix.net


  
 
 Post subject: Then-now photo
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:30 pm 

It would be interesting to see a then and now comparison of photos, taken from the same spot, even if it just shows modern buildings where the track once was. I hope more of these original Strasburg photos can make it to the net when the exhibit closes, for those of us who can't come down to see them.

ryarger@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Then-now photo *PIC*
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:17 pm 

While not quite as old a view of the Strasburg, I came across this picture of my dad's from 1961. The landscape may have changed, but I'm guessing most of the equipment in the photo is still with us(?)

Image
SJHussar@aol.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Then-now photo
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:57 pm 

That's a cool photo. Brings back memories. The Plymouth is still around. It was just rebuilt last year and is used with some frequency. The gondola is devoid of its wood and there are plans (as well as wood) to restore it someday. It is ex-PRR #335287, class Gra. The near coach is the Cherry Hill, ex-Reading #1089. The far coach is probably the Grasshopper Level which is ex-B&M #1182. The caboose is one of two bobbers we had. I think it is PRR #476087 that we have open for display along with the snowplow. If not, it is the caboose that now resides in New Oxford, which belonged to Check Caldwell, one of our founders.

The peak of a roof to the right of the station and above the train is an open structure that was built to house the John Stevens locomotive which was on loan to SRC from the PRR. It is now at the RRMPA across the street. The building formed the basis for our track car shed which now resides at the east end of the Strasburg terminal area.

Strasburg Rail Road
linnwm@supernet.com


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: