It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Old Diesels and engine heaters?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:05 pm 

Another relatively inexpensive item is an insulated blanket as used in construction work to protect fresh concrete from freezing while it sets. Putting the blanket over the hood helps keep the warmth inside. Use bungee cords to secure it in position.

I've also seen a couple of places where they set up a small home-style warm water furnace in a shed and connect it to the locomotive boiler with flexible hoses and quick-connect couplings. One shortline I know of used that type of system to heat the locomotive in an unheated engine shed for more than 30 years with nary a problem.

K4s1361@hotmail.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Old Diesels and engine heaters?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:13 pm 

Thanks everyone for all the great information! I think it may prove very helpful. On using methanol for anitfreeze, how can you tell whether you have an "A", "B", or "C" type engine? Yeh, I know I know very little about diesels. The units that are in question are GP35's. Also where can you buy methanol?

http://www.svry.com
jamesbane@hotmail.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Old Diesels and engine heaters?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:55 am 

A GP-35 has a 567 D block.

You may want to call the EMD District Engineer in your area and ask him as to his thoughts on the use of methanol.

Also, methanol is a poison and is quite flammable in pure (undiluted) form.

> Thanks everyone for all the great
> information! I think it may prove very
> helpful. On using methanol for anitfreeze,
> how can you tell whether you have an
> "A", "B", or
> "C" type engine? Yeh, I know I
> know very little about diesels. The units
> that are in question are GP35's. Also where
> can you buy methanol?


locoeng@verizon.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Old Diesels and engine heaters?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:57 am 

I should have said " A GP-35 has a 567 D block as built." Many have been upgraded to 645 power assemblies during their lifetime, which probably doesn't have any impact on your question.

> Thanks everyone for all the great
> information! I think it may prove very
> helpful. On using methanol for anitfreeze,
> how can you tell whether you have an
> "A", "B", or
> "C" type engine? Yeh, I know I
> know very little about diesels. The units
> that are in question are GP35's. Also where
> can you buy methanol?


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Old Diesels and engine heaters?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:15 pm 

Does any one know if eairler Baldwin Diesels were able to use antifreeze or not??

> I should have said " A GP-35 has a 567
> D block as built." Many have been
> upgraded to 645 power assemblies during
> their lifetime, which probably doesn't have
> any impact on your question.


amartin@wlu.edu


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: