It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: AP: Altoona museum may get restaurant,microbrewery
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:55 am 

Link posted in Flimsies and below:

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/ ... 80798.html

Dan Cupper
Harrisburg, Pa.

RR museum considers microbrewery to boost revenues
cupper@att.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: AP: Altoona museum may get restaurant,microbre
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:29 pm 

> Link posted in Flimsies and below:

>
> http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/ ... 80798.html

> Dan Cupper
> Harrisburg, Pa.

Exactly the type of innovative thinking needed in this arena. Hope the guys in Altoona pull it off.



superheater@rrmail.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: AP: Altoona museum may get restaurant,microbre
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:59 pm 

I second that! I only visited the "new" museum once, but was very, very impressed. Strictly speaking, as an interpretive institution, the exhibits in Altoona surpassed every other museum that I've been too. I always thought if you combined the historic operations at Steamtown, with the exhibits in Altoona, with the collection and management of the RR Museum of PA, you'd have the perfect place.

I hope it all turns out well.

Dave Crosby

bing@epix.net


  
 
 Post subject: sympathetic vibes
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:06 pm 

Great Idea ...would be nice if they could convince
"Anchor Steam Beer" of San Francisco to open an east coast branch!



http://www.anchorbrewing.com/
lamontdc@adelphia.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: AP: Altoona museum may get restaurant,microbre
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:31 pm 

The K4s guy asks, with tongue firmly in cheek, "What about Rule G?"

I recall visiting a steam railway in northern England some 20 years ago at which each train departing the station required the services of a "banker," in this case an 0-6-0T side tanker. After performing its duty, the engine drifted back to the station to await its next call, and the engine crew repaired to the pub across the street. Hmmmmmm....

K4s1361@hotmail.com


  
 
 Post subject: Correction, cheers, and cautions
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:28 am 

"Great Idea ...would be nice if they could convince "Anchor Steam Beer" of San Francisco to open an east coast branch! "

Ahem......... for the umpteen thousandth time in my "career," I must scream:

"Steam Beer" has NOTHING whatsoever to do with railroading. Steam beer is a specific style or recipe type of beer, also referred to as "California common" beer since Anchor trademarked the "steam beer" moniker. It basically involves brewing a lager beer at ale temperatures--a hybrid akin to an oil-fired PRR K4s, a coal-fired SP Cab-Forward, or the like.

Nevertheless, the prospect of a railroad brewpub in Altoona fascinates me, although with a note of concern and hesitation as well. I deal with microbrewing as a hobby almost as passionately as I deal with rail preservation, and could probably tell the operators where every available-for-sale brewery system in the Northeast is, many at fire-sale prices. But it's a restaurant business first and foremost--some of the makers of the world's best beers have failed because of inferior business decisions.

But I'm standing ready to add cases of Altoona-brewed product to my cellars of railroad-themed beers and wines. Bring it on!


LNER4472-NOSPAM-@bcpl.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Correction, cheers, and cautions
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:49 am 

> Ahem......... for the umpteen thousandth
> time in my "career," I must
> scream:

Oh well ...7 hours and thirty some minutes ain't a record ...but I got your attention. One of the most successful micros in our area lets you whip up your own batches according to your whims ...never did get to try their recipe for "old peculier"

http://www.theakstons.co.uk/beer/old_peculier/
lamontdc@adelphia.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Correction, cheers, and cautions
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:03 pm 

The proposed microbrewery at the RRMM would appear to be consistant with the city of Altoona's efforts to revitalize the downtown area and boost tourism, of which the Railroaders Museum is a key element. There are not a lot of good eating establishments in the immediate vicinity, which either signals opportunity or caution, depending on your point of view.

There is already new brew-pub under construction in nearby Duncansville, close to Hollidaysburg, being built by an established restaurant company in a high traffic location with favorable demographics.

Alan Maples

AMaples@aol.com


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: