It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Reader 11
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:17 am 

Unknown date, but when they were still hauling freight, probably late 1950s, early '60s.

http://www.railroadforums.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2560&papass=&sort=1&thecat=571
ryarger@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reader 11
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:05 pm 

> Unknown date, but when they were still
> hauling freight, probably late 1950s, early
> '60s.

I may be wrong (I wasn't there), but I think no. 11 got the large tender rather late in its (Reader) life.

Alan Maples

AMaples@aol.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reader 11
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:05 pm 

The date was February 5, 1964. I was the only passenger that day.

gbrewer@yahoo.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reader 11
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:03 pm 

> The date was February 5, 1964. I was the
> only passenger that day.

Thanks for clarifying. It's a neat photo of a railroad I wish I had seen.


AMaples@aol.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reader 11
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:23 pm 

Thanks, Alan. I rode it many times and even managed a cab ride in all three engines. All you had to do was sign a waiver and you could ride the locomotive.


gbrewer@yahoo.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reader 11
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:29 am 

> Unknown date, but when they were still
> hauling freight, probably late 1950s, early
> '60s.

Whats the story on the 11 right now? Is she still in storage somewhere in Kentucky?


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reader 11
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:27 am 

> Whats the story on the 11 right now? Is she
> still in storage somewhere in Kentucky?

She's been idle at the TTI yard in Paris, KY, since the $200 Million insurance requirement was imposed in 1994. I seem to recall there was an effort to move the engine to the Kentucky Railway Museum a couple of years ago, but I'm not sure if there's still interest.

JAC


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reader 11 *PIC*
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:25 pm 

> Whats the story on the 11 right now? Is she
> still in storage somewhere in Kentucky?

Still in Paris, Ky from what I know. I had the pleasure of riding this line in the summer of 1963 behind #11, en route to Mexico. Seeing it from 1989-93 in service between Paris and Maysville was an added treat. I think she last ran in the fall of 1993, on one of the same weekends the 765(2765) was running on the C&O.

Image below is #11 on its first Santa Train in 1989.
Greg Scholl

Videos
Image
sales@gregschollvideo.com


  
 
 Post subject: Reader 11 tender
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:13 pm 

> I may be wrong (I wasn't there), but I think
> no. 11 got the large tender rather late in
> its (Reader) life.

I think 11's larger tender came after her original one got wacked by a truck in a bad grade crossing accident.

Regards,
Jim Robinson


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: