It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Smokey Joe
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:51 pm 

Webpage for a minature Herschell Spillman minature 4-4-0 that ran in New Hampshire for many years. It still exists, in storage.

http://www.hampton.lib.nh.us/hampton/history/holman/smokeyjoe_1.htm
ryarger@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: Venice Railway
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:17 pm 

Story of the Venice Railway, a minature line in that California seaside city, utilized for both transportation and amusement.

http://www.discoverlivesteam.com/ontrack/Venice_Railway.htm
ryarger@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Smokey Joe
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:13 pm 

And I thought "Smokey Joe" was the PRR's Baltimore & Eastern RR Love Point Ferry! (Schedule subject to wind and tide.)

TyburnRR@cs.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Smokey Joe
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:59 am 

> Webpage for a minature Herschell Spillman
> minature 4-4-0 that ran in New Hampshire for
> many years. It still exists, in storage.

Well, live and learn. I knew that Herschell Spillman was a famous builder of carousels, but didn't know that they built railroad locomotives too.


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Smokey Joe
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:55 am 

Hmm, 12 tons of drawbar pull from and engine that likely weighed no more than 8 tons? Boy I bet the folks that built geared logging engines would love to know their secret!


  
 
 Post subject: Good quote.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:08 pm 

This companion story of Smokey Joe is short on accuracy, but I like the quote below:

"You could pick out the future mechanics every time. It was the little boy who lingered beside the engine after the ride, looking it all over, even stooping to peer into the fire box when the engineer fired up. Nothing escaped him. You knew he was thinking how he was going to be an engineer when he grew up and drive a real engine."

As one whose first exposure to steam was an ancient amusement park Cagney, I wonder how many others among us had the same experience, and is it relevant to the "Steam Survival" topic above?



http://www.hampton.lib.nh.us/hampton/history/holman/smokeyjoe.htm
ryarger@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: first exposures *PIC*
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:52 pm 

While I know there were other events that predated early memory, one of my earliest recollections is riding and admiring the 15" gauge Sandley 4-4-0 and train at the Hoot Toot and Whistle. I believe at age 3 1/2.

The Sandley Story
Image


  
 
 Post subject: Re: first exposures *PIC*
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:03 pm 

> While I know there were other events that
> predated early memory, one of my earliest
> recollections is riding and admiring the
> 15" gauge Sandley 4-4-0 and train at
> the Hoot Toot and Whistle. I believe at age
> 3 1/2.

I spent many happy hours at the throttle of #98 when she was at Wakaursa. After the owner died she was sold and went back to the Riverside & Great Northern at the old Sandly shop. Here is a picture taken of her by Tim Bainter at the R&GN 50th anniversary last year.

Home page
Image
timsb@goshen.edu


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: