It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: STRATEGIC STEAM SURVIVAL
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:45 am 

Recently, a 45-year-old restaurant in my old hometown (Knoxville) closed. Seems the grandchildren of Harold Swerski had become a medical doctor, landscape business owner, and stay-at-home mother. None were interested in keeping open the town's only real Kosher deli. That turn of events brought to mind the recent thoughful discussion of the long term viability of steam and who is going to keep these national treasures alive in 20 - 30 years. Two questions came to mind,

(1.) Does any museum have any current and proven effective program to address concerns about the general "greying" of rail museum membership?

(2.) Does the federal tax law concerning bequests and endowments need retooling to allow those fortunate enough to have something left "when the roll is called up yonder" to be able to properly endow a locomotive and the organization that owns and maintains it?

As always, I find the RYPN discussions of these matters enlightening and valuable.

amiller@rtms-movietrains.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: STRATEGIC STEAM SURVIVAL
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:05 am 

> (1.) Does any museum have any current and
> proven effective program to address concerns
> about the general "greying" of
> rail museum membership?

I don't know of any program specifically designed to address this other than NRHS' and Steamtown's RailCamp. I'd be very interested to learn of any other programs specifically targeted at younger volunteers.

> (2.) Does the federal tax law concerning
> bequests and endowments need retooling to
> allow those fortunate enough to have
> something left "when the roll is called
> up yonder" to be able to properly endow
> a locomotive and the organization that owns
> and maintains it?

I guess the answer to this will differ according to the political views of the answerer. From where I sit, it seems current law offers plenty of freedom for endowing any nonprofit organization--its easy to do with the help of any competent estate planning attourny and it offers a lot of tax incentives already.


eledbetter@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: Re: STRATEGIC STEAM SURVIVAL
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:46 pm 

There are many people in the business who are ages 15-40. Some of these folks will be around for another 60 or more years.

Another thing to keep in mind is that steam is not brain surgery and any person with a good mechanical background can figure out. A steam locomotive is a collection of components. Each component has similar devices used in the rest of the world. With this in mind most things can be repaired or replaced simply by contacting the right industries. With that being said I am not suggesting that the level of expertise found amongst today's experts not important. These guys are a big reason we have much of what runs today and we need them. More will follow.

Tom Gears


  
 
 Post subject: a few answers, more questions
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:57 pm 

As a member of the under 30 group involved in Rail Preservation in three different venues (Tourist, Museum, and Volunteer Museum) I feel I have some input into the future of the industry and current problems. I also have a strong interest in keeping steam around since I am not interested in seeking out a new career path.

In the volunteer realm many museums inform the volunteers what the museums needs are, but they rarely ask what the volunteers needs are. The volunteer needs should be addressed to keep the volunteer interested and motivated. The volunteer needs should be matched to the needs of the museum. ThatÂ’s where both sides need to compromise. Because every museum has the tasks that not many volunteers care to do but need to be done (i.e. cleaning the bathrooms). I think thatÂ’s where a volunteer survey should be developed to identify the needs of the volunteer in relation to those of the museum.

Patience with the volunteer railroads is also a necessity. Many new volunteers are inexperienced and will need the guidance of the more experienced volunteers. Also due to the part-time availability of the volunteers many projects completed by volunteer organizations will take much longer to complete. I have said recently that the work completed by the Huckleberry Railroad (paid employment) in a week would take the Michigan Transit Museum (volunteer organization) months to complete. The reasoning is the Huckleberry has people working everyday. While the Michigan Transit Museum is generally weekend work. This adds exponentially to the overall time it takes to complete a project. It also gives reason why it takes the Timbuktu Region Volunteer Railway Museum 25 years to complete the overhaul of old #00, which had just been through the shops 3 months before it was taken out of service. The key word is PATIENCE on all sides: volunteers (both new and long term), the board of directors, and the general public.

In a tourist and museum setting the lack of people coming into the industry could be attributed to a lack of advertising the availability and existence of such careers. How many people working in the industry have said, “I didn’t even know jobs like this existed until I was????” Do any tourist railways or railway museums actively recruit summer help at high school/college job fairs? Any presentations made by these groups at events like railcamp? Any organizations advertise for employment as they advertise for customers? Are there any organizations, which sponsor scholarships to trade schools, which would support the organization?

Such methods for recruiting paid employees could also be aimed to volunteers. The benefits offered to volunteers and paid employees should also be examined. What do you offer to the paid employees in addition to a paycheck? Do they get insurance or retirement benefits? Are they offered free passes to visit with friends and family? What is offered to volunteers? What is the organization able to legally and financially offer to the volunteers? Is there an appreciation dinner? An awards program? What else can be offered?

I am in my twenties and wish I had known such paid opportunities existed many years earlier so I could have gotten started sooner. I could go on and on about individuals who tried to stop me from volunteering as a teen but I donÂ’t like to dwell on negativity. The negativity does exist but it doesnÂ’t have to. There have been many individuals who welcomed me, taught me, and made sure I did things safely. I am at the point now where the more I learn the more I want to learn. I still have a lot to learn and a long ways to go. I have a lot of people to thank for giving me the opportunity and look forward to learning more from them. I am also thankful for venues such as RYPN where jobs can be posted, individuals to contact, and the resources to learn from.


sutterd@hotmail.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: a few answers, more questions
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:31 pm 

> As a member of the under 30 group involved
> in Rail Preservation in three different
> venues (Tourist, Museum, and Volunteer
> Museum) I feel I have some input into the
> future of the industry and current problems.
> I also have a strong interest in keeping
> steam around since I am not interested in
> seeking out a new career path.

> In the volunteer realm many museums inform
> the volunteers what the museums needs are,
> but they rarely ask what the volunteers
> needs are. The volunteer needs should be
> addressed to keep the volunteer interested
> and motivated. The volunteer needs should be
> matched to the needs of the museum. ThatÂ’s
> where both sides need to compromise. Because
> every museum has the tasks that not many
> volunteers care to do but need to be done
> (i.e. cleaning the bathrooms). I think
> thatÂ’s where a volunteer survey should be
> developed to identify the needs of the
> volunteer in relation to those of the
> museum.

> Patience with the volunteer railroads is
> also a necessity. Many new volunteers are
> inexperienced and will need the guidance of
> the more experienced volunteers. Also due to
> the part-time availability of the volunteers
> many projects completed by volunteer
> organizations will take much longer to
> complete. I have said recently that the work
> completed by the Huckleberry Railroad (paid
> employment) in a week would take the
> Michigan Transit Museum (volunteer
> organization) months to complete. The
> reasoning is the Huckleberry has people
> working everyday. While the Michigan Transit
> Museum is generally weekend work. This adds
> exponentially to the overall time it takes
> to complete a project. It also gives reason
> why it takes the Timbuktu Region Volunteer
> Railway Museum 25 years to complete the
> overhaul of old #00, which had just been
> through the shops 3 months before it was
> taken out of service. The key word is
> PATIENCE on all sides: volunteers (both new
> and long term), the board of directors, and
> the general public.

> In a tourist and museum setting the lack of
> people coming into the industry could be
> attributed to a lack of advertising the
> availability and existence of such careers.
> How many people working in the industry have
> said, “I didn’t even know jobs like this
> existed until I was????” Do any tourist
> railways or railway museums actively recruit
> summer help at high school/college job
> fairs? Any presentations made by these
> groups at events like railcamp? Any
> organizations advertise for employment as
> they advertise for customers? Are there any
> organizations, which sponsor scholarships to
> trade schools, which would support the
> organization?

> Such methods for recruiting paid employees
> could also be aimed to volunteers. The
> benefits offered to volunteers and paid
> employees should also be examined. What do
> you offer to the paid employees in addition
> to a paycheck? Do they get insurance or
> retirement benefits? Are they offered free
> passes to visit with friends and family?
> What is offered to volunteers? What is the
> organization able to legally and financially
> offer to the volunteers? Is there an
> appreciation dinner? An awards program? What
> else can be offered?

> I am in my twenties and wish I had known
> such paid opportunities existed many years
> earlier so I could have gotten started
> sooner. I could go on and on about
> individuals who tried to stop me from
> volunteering as a teen but I donÂ’t like to
> dwell on negativity. The negativity does
> exist but it doesnÂ’t have to. There have
> been many individuals who welcomed me,
> taught me, and made sure I did things
> safely. I am at the point now where the more
> I learn the more I want to learn. I still
> have a lot to learn and a long ways to go. I
> have a lot of people to thank for giving me
> the opportunity and look forward to learning
> more from them. I am also thankful for
> venues such as RYPN where jobs can be
> posted, individuals to contact, and the
> resources to learn from.
One thing I have found in a lot of muse, groups etc. but not at all. Is something that turns off new people. The people in control run it like a good old boys club. Any new menber is looked at as a threat to who is in charge or they have to share there turf with one person and the don't want to do that. Also mr. control freak won't admit he's not the only one that may know something. You can call me tired of all the head games. bb


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rail preservations future is RYPN.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm 

> One thing I have found in a lot of muse,
> groups etc. but not at all. Is something
> that turns off new people. The people in
> control run it like a good old boys club.
> Any new menber is looked at as a threat to
> who is in charge or they have to share there
> turf with one person and the don't want to
> do that. Also mr. control freak won't admit
> he's not the only one that may know
> something. You can call me tired of all the
> head games. bb

Again, great topic. We have had some doozy's lately. Some of my own comments if I may:

I've gotten to know Dave pretty well over the past couple of years, and although he does point to the fact you can dwell on the past or the negative, I should note how much it surprised and saddened me when I first met him to hear that he had experienced many of the negative things I had experienced, both in the same organization and in others very similar to it. There is no question it is a different world from when even he and I (a difference of only a couple of years) were teenagers: the insurance/ liability was much less, but the writing was already on the wall.
Its tough trying to both explain you have some knowledge and yet not seem pompous; god forbid if you correct an older member on an engine number, wheel arrangement, etc. Youth doesn't always have to equal ignorance, as long as that youth is willing to LISTEN as well as speak.

Both Dave and I experienced the fact that rather than deal with the issue of getting younger people involved head-on, the organizations backed away, just about denying anyone under the age of 18 ANY opportunity to work there. I was fortunate enough to have had some members of a certain local NRHS chapter take me under there wing at the age of 9; I was "working" trips (helping to get things, sweeping cars, wokring as a an apprentice chef, etc.) under their close observation and tutelage, and although I know many of you would scough at the age I just stated, they saw something in me that they wished to both foster and expand: a love of steam, railroad in general, and the will to volunteer. Sadly, after five solid years of working these trips, it was decided by a newer group of individuals that anyone under 18 wasn't worth the effort, and although I later received apologies, I and two others were dropped like a hot potato, and told to come back at 18. By then, my attitude was, well, I think you can guess.

I did move on to other groups, but I've never forgotten what it feels like to be treated that way, and for no good reason. I would have been happy sweeping cars; (and was) they wanted a "good-ole-boy" club, and now I see sadly notice that this groups 2004 trips may be their last.

Having said this, members of that same group worked very hard to find me other avenues and other groups to help, and for that I'm forever grateful. I've tried to help other young people interested in rail opportunites when I can, especially if they show a real interest. I think that the attitude is really beginning to change within the community towards bringing ALL AGES on board; and there are significant milestones. I would have loved to have the opportunity of rail camp; to meet the "names" that I heard in TRAINS magazine, RAILWAY PRESERVATION NEWS, and others. Maybe I wouldn't have been so awestruck when I finally did meet some of these individuals back at ARM/TRAIN in 2001 ;-) Guys who, well, post here on a regular basis.

I guess my long-windedness is saying that the survival of rail preservation begins with what we are doing here; getting serious about the issues that re facing the community in both the present and the future. There is no discrimination of thought here: many of us may think that and idea is pretty nutty, but we are still allowed to voice it and add our own two cents to the opinions being weighed. I'm honored (and I realize that sounds cheesy, but I'm a chessy guy at times) to be able to speak my view on such a wonderful forum as this, with gentlemen and women who both influenced and sahped my career path, even though they might not know they did. Thank you to Erik, Bob, and the countless other who literarily give us the opportunity to do that every single hour of every single day if we so choose.

T.J.


tjgaffney@phmuseum.org


  
 
 Post subject: Young Volunteer Development Programs
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:58 pm 

> I don't know of any program specifically
> designed to address this other than NRHS'
> and Steamtown's RailCamp. I'd be very
> interested to learn of any other programs
> specifically targeted at younger volunteers.

> I guess the answer to this will differ
> according to the political views of the
> answerer. From where I sit, it seems current
> law offers plenty of freedom for endowing
> any nonprofit organization--its easy to do
> with the help of any competent estate
> planning attourny and it offers a lot of tax
> incentives already.

A young volunteer development program that has really worked would be wonderful information to have. Keeps every organization from having to reinvent the wheel. While "one size fits all" approach may not work, each organization has a lot of smart people who would know how to tailor the basic program to their group's specific needs.


amiller@rtms-movietrains.com


  
 
 Post subject: Excellent Thoughts
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:03 pm 

> Again, great topic. We have had some doozy's
> lately. Some of my own comments if I may:

> I've gotten to know Dave pretty well over
> the past couple of years, and although he
> does point to the fact you can dwell on the
> past or the negative, I should note how much
> it surprised and saddened me when I first
> met him to hear that he had experienced many
> of the negative things I had experienced,
> both in the same organization and in others
> very similar to it. There is no question it
> is a different world from when even he and I
> (a difference of only a couple of years)
> were teenagers: the insurance/ liability was
> much less, but the writing was already on
> the wall.
> Its tough trying to both explain you have
> some knowledge and yet not seem pompous; god
> forbid if you correct an older member on an
> engine number, wheel arrangement, etc. Youth
> doesn't always have to equal ignorance, as
> long as that youth is willing to LISTEN as
> well as speak.

> Both Dave and I experienced the fact that
> rather than deal with the issue of getting
> younger people involved head-on, the
> organizations backed away, just about
> denying anyone under the age of 18 ANY
> opportunity to work there. I was fortunate
> enough to have had some members of a certain
> local NRHS chapter take me under there wing
> at the age of 9; I was "working"
> trips (helping to get things, sweeping cars,
> wokring as a an apprentice chef, etc.) under
> their close observation and tutelage, and
> although I know many of you would scough at
> the age I just stated, they saw something in
> me that they wished to both foster and
> expand: a love of steam, railroad in
> general, and the will to volunteer. Sadly,
> after five solid years of working these
> trips, it was decided by a newer group of
> individuals that anyone under 18 wasn't
> worth the effort, and although I later
> received apologies, I and two others were
> dropped like a hot potato, and told to come
> back at 18. By then, my attitude was, well,
> I think you can guess.

> I did move on to other groups, but I've
> never forgotten what it feels like to be
> treated that way, and for no good reason. I
> would have been happy sweeping cars; (and
> was) they wanted a "good-ole-boy"
> club, and now I see sadly notice that this
> groups 2004 trips may be their last.

> Having said this, members of that same group
> worked very hard to find me other avenues
> and other groups to help, and for that I'm
> forever grateful. I've tried to help other
> young people interested in rail opportunites
> when I can, especially if they show a real
> interest. I think that the attitude is
> really beginning to change within the
> community towards bringing ALL AGES on
> board; and there are significant milestones.
> I would have loved to have the opportunity
> of rail camp; to meet the "names"
> that I heard in TRAINS magazine, RAILWAY
> PRESERVATION NEWS, and others. Maybe I
> wouldn't have been so awestruck when I
> finally did meet some of these individuals
> back at ARM/TRAIN in 2001 ;-) Guys who,
> well, post here on a regular basis.

> I guess my long-windedness is saying that
> the survival of rail preservation begins
> with what we are doing here; getting serious
> about the issues that re facing the
> community in both the present and the
> future. There is no discrimination of
> thought here: many of us may think that and
> idea is pretty nutty, but we are still
> allowed to voice it and add our own two
> cents to the opinions being weighed. I'm
> honored (and I realize that sounds cheesy,
> but I'm a chessy guy at times) to be able to
> speak my view on such a wonderful forum as
> this, with gentlemen and women who both
> influenced and sahped my career path, even
> though they might not know they did. Thank
> you to Erik, Bob, and the countless other
> who literarily give us the opportunity to do
> that every single hour of every single day
> if we so choose.

> T.J.

Excellent thoughts. Thanks for sharing your experiences. All who read this will benefit.


amiller@rtms-movietrains.com


  
 
 Post subject: Rail preservation's future: young people!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 6:41 pm 

TJ:

I commend you! Thank you for your most excellent post! I myself am an active volunteer (more than 24 years) with a local railroad museum. We would LOVE to have volunteers younger than 18 years old help us, but: there is a FRA rule that prohibits ANYONE under the age of 18 from doing ANY work at all in a railroad museum or group.

I myself think the FRA is dead WRONG on this. Why? Young people are our future!!

I remember a sermon from a long time ago in which the priest pointed out that if the Church did not pass on its message to young people, it would be dead in one generation. This also applies to EVERY organization in the world. We have GOT to get the FRA (and all other similar organizations) to rescind all such rules.

This WILL be difficult, but is NOT impossible. The Dutch have a saying: "That is difficult? That will take a while. Something else is impossible? That will take a bit longer." :)

Please remember A. Philip Randolph: he is the man who - with others - founded the Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters in 1937. It took Randolph 12 long years to get that union off the ground, but he prevailed - because he refused to GIVE UP.

Giving up is not an option for any of us if we really CARE about what we are doing.

I truly regret that all too many people did not treat you with respect - just because you are young. They do not realize that young people are our future. (Our egos often make us do things that are not in our - or others' - best interests.) Also remember: an unexamined life is not much worth living. In other words: we ALL need to try to uncover our true motives for doing things.

I also like some other sayings: "Age is not where it's at.", "Lift as you climb.", and "Each one teach one."

Please keep up the good work. I think any organization you work for is very fortunate to have you as a member.

Margaret M.
(SP fan)

> Both Dave and I experienced the fact that
> rather than deal with the issue of getting
> younger people involved head-on, the
> organizations backed away, just about
> denying anyone under the age of 18 ANY
> opportunity to work there. I was fortunate
> enough to have had some members of a certain
> local NRHS chapter take me under their wing
> at the age of 9; I was "working"
> trips (helping to get things, sweeping cars,
> wokring as a an apprentice chef, etc.) under
> their close observation and tutelage, and
> although I know many of you would scough at
> the age I just stated, they saw something in
> me that they wished to both foster and
> expand: a love of steam, railroad in
> general, and the will to volunteer. Sadly,
> after five solid years of working these
> trips, it was decided by a newer group of
> individuals that anyone under 18 wasn't
> worth the effort, and although I later
> received apologies, I and two others were
> dropped like a hot potato, and told to come
> back at 18. By then, my attitude was, well,
> I think you can guess.

> I did move on to other groups, but I've
> never forgotten what it feels like to be
> treated that way, and for no good reason. I
> would have been happy sweeping cars; (and
> was) they wanted a "good-ole-boy"
> club, and now I see sadly notice that this
> groups 2004 trips may be their last.

> Having said this, members of that same group
> worked very hard to find me other avenues
> and other groups to help, and for that I'm
> forever grateful. I've tried to help other
> young people interested in rail opportunites
> when I can, especially if they show a real
> interest. I think that the attitude is
> really beginning to change within the
> community towards bringing ALL AGES on
> board; and there are significant milestones.
> I would have loved to have the opportunity
> of rail camp; to meet the "names"
> that I heard in TRAINS magazine, RAILWAY
> PRESERVATION NEWS, and others. Maybe I
> wouldn't have been so awestruck when I
> finally did meet some of these individuals
> back at ARM/TRAIN in 2001 ;-) Guys who,
> well, post here on a regular basis.

> I guess my long-windedness is saying that
> the survival of rail preservation begins
> with what we are doing here; getting serious
> about the issues that re facing the
> community in both the present and the
> future. There is no discrimination of
> thought here: many of us may think that and
> idea is pretty nutty, but we are still
> allowed to voice it and add our own two
> cents to the opinions being weighed. I'm
> honored (and I realize that sounds cheesy,
> but I'm a chessy guy at times) to be able to
> speak my view on such a wonderful forum as
> this, with gentlemen and women who both
> influenced and sahped my career path, even
> though they might not know they did. Thank
> you to Erik, Bob, and the countless other
> who literarily give us the opportunity to do
> that every single hour of every single day
> if we so choose.

> T.J.


Short article: Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters


  
 
 Post subject: Re: HUH!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:20 pm 

> TJ:

> I commend you! Thank you for your most
> excellent post! I myself am an active
> volunteer (more than 24 years) with a local
> railroad museum. We would LOVE to have
> volunteers younger than 18 years old help
> us, but: there is a FRA rule that prohibits
> ANYONE under the age of 18 from doing ANY
> work at all in a railroad museum or group.

I knew you had to be 18 to be a member of a train crew ... I find it hard to believe absolutes anyhow ... but ANYONE ... ANY ... camon, seriously.. and the next thing you tell me is that the big bad FRA man comes along and shuts you down with big heavy fines ... stamp collecting is looking better all the time!!!!!!!!!!!!

lamontdc@adelphia.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: STRATEGIC STEAM SURVIVAL
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:00 pm 

> Recently, a 45-year-old restaurant in my old
> hometown (Knoxville) closed. Seems the
> grandchildren of Harold Swerski had become a
> medical doctor, landscape business owner,
> and stay-at-home mother. None were
> interested in keeping open the town's only
> real Kosher deli. That turn of events
> brought to mind the recent thoughful
> discussion of the long term viability of
> steam and who is going to keep these
> national treasures alive in 20 - 30 years.
> Two questions came to mind,

> (1.) Does any museum have any current and
> proven effective program to address concerns
> about the general "greying" of
> rail museum membership?

> (2.) Does the federal tax law concerning
> bequests and endowments need retooling to
> allow those fortunate enough to have
> something left "when the roll is called
> up yonder" to be able to properly endow
> a locomotive and the organization that owns
> and maintains it?

A GOOD estate planner can provide info on how to fund endowments or trusts to accomplish just about any purpose. Life insurance owned by the charity is another favorite tool.


colfaxrr@wwt.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rail preservations future is RYPN.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:09 pm 

Very well put, T.J. I know exactly where you're coming from. Even though I'm 31, I still experience the funny age treatment thing sometimes. In virtually all of the rail preservation groups I've ever been affiliated with (with the exception of one or two), young folks were frowned upon or not taken seriously by some of the older folks. But among the kids there have been some shining stars. I once saw a 5 year old railfan talk turkey about a UP Big Boy and left the museum docent speechless! So never assume young people are clueless--they lack real life experience, yes, but they are looking for validation in older members and wish to cultivate a shared interest in the stewardship of history. I first started as a volunteer at age 15 restoring a narrow gauge wooden combine, and have since worked my way up to being Archivist at a major state-run railroad museum. There are opportunities in the field for young folks to pursue. But you touch on a very alarming trend--not many young people are coming up the ranks. We are struggling with this issue at RRMPA all the time.

As someone actively working in the railway museum trenches everyday and wrestling with some real challenges that museums face, in my opinion, I have observed that the BIGGEST threats facing rail preservation (in the broader context) are the following:

1. No money (or lack of professional staff in place to do fundraising to make programs at all levels possible)
2. Mother Nature (all of our iron and steel is slowly rusting away to pieces without cover or proper climate control)
3. Lots of greying heads and few youth coming up the ranks. (Today's "Thomas" fans have at least ten more years before "coming of age" to volunteer!)

It's that simple, really.> Again, great topic. We have had some doozy's
> lately. Some of my own comments if I may:

> I've gotten to know Dave pretty well over
> the past couple of years, and although he
> does point to the fact you can dwell on the
> past or the negative, I should note how much
> it surprised and saddened me when I first
> met him to hear that he had experienced many
> of the negative things I had experienced,
> both in the same organization and in others
> very similar to it. There is no question it
> is a different world from when even he and I
> (a difference of only a couple of years)
> were teenagers: the insurance/ liability was
> much less, but the writing was already on
> the wall.
> Its tough trying to both explain you have
> some knowledge and yet not seem pompous; god
> forbid if you correct an older member on an
> engine number, wheel arrangement, etc. Youth
> doesn't always have to equal ignorance, as
> long as that youth is willing to LISTEN as
> well as speak.

> Both Dave and I experienced the fact that
> rather than deal with the issue of getting
> younger people involved head-on, the
> organizations backed away, just about
> denying anyone under the age of 18 ANY
> opportunity to work there. I was fortunate
> enough to have had some members of a certain
> local NRHS chapter take me under there wing
> at the age of 9; I was "working"
> trips (helping to get things, sweeping cars,
> wokring as a an apprentice chef, etc.) under
> their close observation and tutelage, and
> although I know many of you would scough at
> the age I just stated, they saw something in
> me that they wished to both foster and
> expand: a love of steam, railroad in
> general, and the will to volunteer. Sadly,
> after five solid years of working these
> trips, it was decided by a newer group of
> individuals that anyone under 18 wasn't
> worth the effort, and although I later
> received apologies, I and two others were
> dropped like a hot potato, and told to come
> back at 18. By then, my attitude was, well,
> I think you can guess.

> I did move on to other groups, but I've
> never forgotten what it feels like to be
> treated that way, and for no good reason. I
> would have been happy sweeping cars; (and
> was) they wanted a "good-ole-boy"
> club, and now I see sadly notice that this
> groups 2004 trips may be their last.

> Having said this, members of that same group
> worked very hard to find me other avenues
> and other groups to help, and for that I'm
> forever grateful. I've tried to help other
> young people interested in rail opportunites
> when I can, especially if they show a real
> interest. I think that the attitude is
> really beginning to change within the
> community towards bringing ALL AGES on
> board; and there are significant milestones.
> I would have loved to have the opportunity
> of rail camp; to meet the "names"
> that I heard in TRAINS magazine, RAILWAY
> PRESERVATION NEWS, and others. Maybe I
> wouldn't have been so awestruck when I
> finally did meet some of these individuals
> back at ARM/TRAIN in 2001 ;-) Guys who,
> well, post here on a regular basis.

> I guess my long-windedness is saying that
> the survival of rail preservation begins
> with what we are doing here; getting serious
> about the issues that re facing the
> community in both the present and the
> future. There is no discrimination of
> thought here: many of us may think that and
> idea is pretty nutty, but we are still
> allowed to voice it and add our own two
> cents to the opinions being weighed. I'm
> honored (and I realize that sounds cheesy,
> but I'm a chessy guy at times) to be able to
> speak my view on such a wonderful forum as
> this, with gentlemen and women who both
> influenced and sahped my career path, even
> though they might not know they did. Thank
> you to Erik, Bob, and the countless other
> who literarily give us the opportunity to do
> that every single hour of every single day
> if we so choose.

> T.J.


  
 
 Post subject: Younger Preservationists
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:32 pm 

Railcamp does a darn good job at making sure there are future preservationists and railroaders. Also, the Railroad Museum of New England is always VERY welcoming to new and younger preservationists.

Regarding the ability of kids under 18 being able to work with railroad equipment in preservation, young folks need to check with their state's Department of Labor. For instance, working with "hand tools" is allowed. However, working with power tools isn't.
There are plenty of things to be done by younger people that don't require them to operate machinery. Trackwork, and limited mechanical work, as well as being a car host or "tour guide" are some of them.
Mike LaBouliere
A younger preservationist and railroader


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rail preservations future is RYPN. *PIC*
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:00 am 

Thank
> you to Erik, Bob, and the countless other
> who literarily give us the opportunity to do
> that every single hour of every single day
> if we so choose.

Thanks for the compliment, T.J.--Hume, Bob, Rob, Boyd and I appreciate it. However, I have to qualify the title of your post. This Web site is just a place to exchange views, news and best practices in our field. The future of preservation is where the work is being done--in the museums and tourist lines, on the trains, in the shop, at the gift store counter, at the information booth, and in the development office. RyPN is secondary--the people who do the work are primary.

But back to the main topic--one can always start by trying to bring them up right--here's my son having a close encounter with BC&G 14 in Gaithersburg this past weekend. Of course, he also has Harold the Helicopter in hand, so maybe he'll end up in aviation preservation...

Image
eledbetter@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Younger Preservationists
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:55 am 

Thanks, Mike!

I would love someone who knows the FRA regs that deal with minimum age to post here. I am only repeating what I was told by one of the managers of our RR museum. I hope he was wrong about the inflexibility of the rule about no under-18 persons being allowed to do any work at all. After all, how are we going to pass on our knowledge if we have to discourage young people from helping us??

The FRA has nationwide jurisdiction, so I would think that their rules would overrule those of any state department.

I think that Railcamp is an excellent idea. I ve heard more than one adult say that they wished they could go!

Margaret M.

> Railcamp does a darn good job at making
> sure there are future preservationists and
> railroaders. Also, the Railroad Museum of
> New England is always VERY welcoming to new
> and younger preservationists.

> Regarding the ability of kids under 18 being
> able to work with railroad equipment in
> preservation, young folks need to check with
> their state's Department of Labor. For
> instance, working with "hand
> tools" is allowed. However, working
> with power tools isn't.
> There are plenty of things to be done by
> younger people that don't require them to
> operate machinery. Trackwork, and limited
> mechanical work, as well as being a car host
> or "tour guide" are some of them.
> Mike LaBouliere
> A younger preservationist and railroader


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: