It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Vintage Electrical Schematics
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:40 pm 

Hello All,

Do any of you guys know of a source for locomotive electrical prints? Right now I am looking for a schematic on a B&O E8. Maybe there is someone I can contact that specializes in such material. Wire Running lists are also very helpful.

Thanks....Mike

mk74volts@yahoo.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vintage Electrical Schematics
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 6:26 pm 

You might try contacting the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum. One of the members there tacing out the wiring on a Southern E-8, and has come up with some prints. Similar units may have different wiring schematics depending what upgrades a locomotive had in its life, but TVRM might be able to help.

Alan Maples

AMaples@aol.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vintage Electrical Schematics
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:16 pm 

> You might try contacting the Tennessee
> Valley Railroad Museum. One of the members
> there tacing out the wiring on a Southern
> E-8, and has come up with some prints.
> Similar units may have different wiring
> schematics depending what upgrades a
> locomotive had in its life, but TVRM might
> be able to help.

> Alan Maples

Thank you Alan...that is a good idea to contact the owner/operator of a similiar unit. I think if I could find the prints to a similiar unit I could figure out the differences. I know first hand how two of the same units can have different wiring. EMDs at least, tend to follow a certain pattern in their indivdual circuits. Many times on the job we get lease units in without a matching print. We best deal with it by getting a close match and then sorta just "go with it!"

Mike


mkvolts@74.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vintage Electrical Schematics
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:18 am 

> Hello All,

> Do any of you guys know of a source for
> locomotive electrical prints? Right now I am
> looking for a schematic on a B&O E8.
> Maybe there is someone I can contact that
> specializes in such material. Wire Running
> lists are also very helpful.

I have the 1945 EMD operating manual for the PRR 5900-5901 (manual No. 2300) which has a section of the wiring and a big pull-out "Typical Passenger Locomotive Wiring Diagram". But, the 5800 is an E7, not an E8.

But, if you want me to, I can scan in the chapter and the associated pull-out wiring diagram.

> Thanks....Mike

Jim Evans


Jim's train pages
jrevans@accuREMOVEsort.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vintage Electrical Schematics
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:31 am 

Hi Jim,

I would be happy to see what you have. Is it much trouble for you to scan the diagrams?

Mike

> I have the 1945 EMD operating manual for the
> PRR 5900-5901 (manual No. 2300) which has a
> section of the wiring and a big pull-out
> "Typical Passenger Locomotive Wiring
> Diagram". But, the 5800 is an E7, not
> an E8.

> But, if you want me to, I can scan in the
> chapter and the associated pull-out wiring
> diagram.

> Jim Evans


mkvolts@74.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vintage Electrical Schematics
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:38 am 

> Hi Jim,

> I would be happy to see what you have. Is it
> much trouble for you to scan the diagrams?

It shouldn't be too bad. I will have to splice some of the images together to get the length of the pullout, but that's not a problem. It'll probably be a few days before I can get to it though.

I wanted to scan this whole thing in anyways, so this would be a good start. :-)

> Mike

JimE

Jim's train pages
jrevans@accuREMOVEsort.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vintage Electrical Schematics
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:30 am 

Jim,

There is no big hurry, take your time. I am only now starting my research on this upcoming project. The loco is not due to be at the museum until April. Thank you again ;0)

Mike

It shouldn't be too bad. I will have to
> splice some of the images together to get
> the length of the pullout, but that's not a
> problem. It'll probably be a few days before
> I can get to it though.

> I wanted to scan this whole thing in
> anyways, so this would be a good start. :-)

> JimE


mk74volts@yahoo.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vintage Electrical Schematics
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:46 pm 

Look up RSI (EMD's shortline parts distributor) and give them a call. While I don't think they have the item in question, they may be able to direct you to an outfit that does. I seem to recall that there was a small start-up company (former EMD technical people) that may have acquired much of the earlier schematic library from EMD.

To be fair, one should realize that in many cases, locomotive wiring tends to be modified over time-such that the as-built prints may be of little use.

> Jim,

> There is no big hurry, take your time. I am
> only now starting my research on this
> upcoming project. The loco is not due to be
> at the museum until April. Thank you again
> ;0)

> Mike

> It shouldn't be too bad. I will have to


newhaven0401-NOSPAM-@verizon.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vintage Electrical Schematics
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:40 pm 

Thanks for advice on RSI. I will give them a call. As far as wiring modifications....I have to tell ya....I work at CSX, as a locomotive electrician...and they even modify the modification! Many times the changes are not documented. I guess it keeps it interesting :)

later...Mike

Look up RSI (EMD's shortline parts
> distributor) and give them a call. While I
> don't think they have the item in question,
> they may be able to direct you to an outfit
> that does. I seem to recall that there was a
> small start-up company (former EMD technical
> people) that may have acquired much of the
> earlier schematic library from EMD.

> To be fair, one should realize that in many
> cases, locomotive wiring tends to be
> modified over time-such that the as-built
> prints may be of little use.


mk74volts@yahoo.com


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: