It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: LVRR GP38AC's retired..canidates for preservat
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:32 pm 

> Two years ago we did exactly this. We wanted the ex-TAG 80 (NS 2879). We knew it had been out of service for a while and negotiated a price based on what they were getting at auction at the same time. Yes, the engine had some serious issues (like a bad prime mover) but I think that helped get us a reasonable price. We hope to rebuild it for operation at some time in the future.

Tim Andrews
TVRM

tandrews@researchcouncil.net


  
 
 Post subject: Wabash 132 (aka Lackawanna 500)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:31 pm 

> Fair enough Dave, and all. As for potential
> places for a Lehigh GP how about URHS, ARHS,
> RMNE, or the museum in Rush, NY?

> I don't think the SW-8 at SNHS runs anymore
> though.

Joshua, you are correct-needs a power assembly and a few other items.


superheater@rrmail.com


  
 
 Post subject: BLW 26 out of service?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:15 pm 

Wait a second, I heard in one of the above threads that shes out of service. Now is this routine maintenece/inspection or is it more serious that than.


  
 
 Post subject: Re: BLW 26 out of service?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:57 pm 

Yes indeed

BLW 26 has been out of service since DEC 99 when we parked her in the roundhouse (I was the fireman that day). At the time a 5 year was on the order, as well as replacement of a thinning crown sheet. Its been an on again-off again project for some time. I'm not sure if any other ailments have been found since then.

Dave Crosby

bing@epix.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: One of the Great Issues @ Steamtown-Who decide
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:11 pm 

I work for the NPS and I can take a guess at this.

In my Park we have an Acquissions Committed composed of historical and curatorical staff who know the Scope of Collections, General Management Plan and other such documents.

If it is an Anthracite Railroad; I bet they take one of them.

Ted Miles


ted_miles@nps.gov


  
 
 Post subject: Re: One of the Great Issues @ Steamtown-Who decide
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:41 pm 

"Scope of Collections, General Management Plan"

Thanks! That's what I was trying to get at earlier. 2nd generation, or even 1st generation diesels aren't part of STEA's Scope of Collections. When a surviving DL&W HH Alco came up for sale STEA was not interested.

Joshua


  
 
 Post subject: Re: One of the Great Issues @ Steamtown-Who decide
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:22 pm 

That's what I was trying to get at
> earlier. 2nd generation, or even 1st
> generation diesels aren't part of STEA's
> Scope of Collections. When a surviving
> DL&W HH Alco came up for sale STEA was
> not interested.

That may be where we'e all getting tangled.

I have no idea whether or not Steamtown follows ARM's Recommended Practices in their collections policy, but the ARM document makes room for multiple types of acquisitions for different purposes:

"Artifact and equipment categories by use may also be developed to reflect the museum's operational needs and the responsibility to preserve the collections for the public and for future generations. For example, as operation of historic rail vehicles is a primary interpretive experience at many railway museums, vehicles are often categorized in terms of their intended use, such as:
a. Accepted for display in the permanent collection
b. Accepted for operation/use in the permanent collection
c. Accepted for trade
d. Kept for consumption/disposal
e. On short- or long-term loan or lease
f. Kept in storage and/or for study"

Certainly Steamtown wouldn't acquire a GP-38AC under a.; it would indeed be out of scope. But the same equipment might be in scope under d--a utility item for use and consumption.



eledbetter@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: Re: BLW 26 out of service?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:18 pm 

> Yes indeed

> BLW 26 has been out of service since DEC 99
> when we parked her in the roundhouse (I was
> the fireman that day). At the time a 5 year
> was on the order, as well as replacement of
> a thinning crown sheet. Its been an on
> again-off again project for some time. I'm
> not sure if any other ailments have been
> found since then.

> Dave Crosby

This past Friday, I noted a fresh out of the McCabe flanger flue sheet for 26 at Steamtown, and one of the shopmen said the rear flue sheet would pose more of a challenge than the front one. It also appears they plan to replace the inside door sheet. Don't look for 26 under steam any time soon!


K4s1361@hotmail.com


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: