It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: CNJ Business Car Question
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:51 am 

Can anyone tell me what business cars the Central Railroad of New Jersey had from the 1940's until the end? Are any of them still around?

Thanks,
Tim

Erie Lackawanna Dining Car Preservation Society


  
 
 Post subject: Re: CNJ Business Car Question
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:45 pm 

CNJ No. 98 is at the Wanamaker, Kempton & Southern, and was converted by the CNJ from a coach. CNJ No. 97 is still around although I don't know where it resides these days. It was owned by Doug Brown in the early 1970s (who used to own ex-FEC Pacific No. 148). CNJ No. 99 "Belford" was in the possession of the Smithsonian in the early 70s but I believe it was deaccessioned. Perhaps another poster can shed some light on histories and current whereabouts of said cars.

> Can anyone tell me what business cars the
> Central Railroad of New Jersey had from the
> 1940's until the end? Are any of them still
> around?

> Thanks,
> Tim


  
 
 Post subject: Re: CNJ Business Car Question
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:02 pm 

Hi,

This topic comes around quite a bit... I think I have it down now, but let's see... I always get #98 and #97 confused...

As Kurt said, #98 is at Kempton. She's been for sale for awhile, but has a good home and there's no threat to her.

#97 I lost track of, but I believe she was in private service as "Jersey Dawn."

#99 was Perry Shoemaker's car and followed him from the DL&W to the CNJ. It was on display in Pittsburgh for many years at the P&LE depot. She was last reported in the yard at Newport, VT awaiting restoration work.

Of course, the three Blue Comet obs remain... Tempel is now down in South Jersey and privately owned, Biela is still a restaurant in Clinton, NJ -- recently sold and having work done on her, and DeVico is part of the Tri-State NRHS collection.

Rob

> CNJ No. 98 is at the Wanamaker, Kempton
> & Southern, and was converted by the CNJ
> from a coach. CNJ No. 97 is still around
> although I don't know where it resides these
> days. It was owned by Doug Brown in the
> early 1970s (who used to own ex-FEC Pacific
> No. 148). CNJ No. 99 "Belford" was
> in the possession of the Smithsonian in the
> early 70s but I believe it was
> deaccessioned. Perhaps another poster can
> shed some light on histories and current
> whereabouts of said cars.


  
 
 Post subject: Re: CNJ Business Car Question
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:17 pm 

Thanks for the info. Recently the ELDCPS picked up a lot of DL&W and other napkins. We have 8 napkins that measure about 13"x 13" and each marked "Car 98". We would like to sell them to anyone who is interested.

Erie Lackawanna Dining Car Preservation Society


  
 
 Post subject: Re: CNJ Business Car Question
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:33 pm 

CNJ No. 99 "Belford" was
> in the possession of the Smithsonian in the
> early 70s but I believe it was
> deaccessioned. Perhaps another poster can
> shed some light on histories and current
> whereabouts of said cars.

Kurt

To the best of my knowledge and shown in some pictures I took of the car when it was at station square, the 99 is not CNJ but DL&W

it was moved a few years ago to Vermont or some where in NE , I tried to get my hands on it but there were some untruths being done to the owner at the time...anyway that is all I know and was informed of


Highiron@aol.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: CNJ Business Car Question
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:09 am 

Car 99, Belford, as I understood it, was Perry Shoemaker's car and might just as well have beceame a CNJ car when Mr. Shoemaker moved from DL&W to CNJ.

Joshua


  
 
 Post subject: Re: CNJ Business Car Question
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:20 am 

Car 99 was Perry Shoemaker's car. It was sold to the CNJ from the EL after Shoemaker's ouster from the EL and becoming the president of the CNJ.

The 99 was kind of unique. Shoemaker had the DL&W shop forces raise the height of the windows in the dining room becuase he didn't want people to be able to see who he was meeting and dining with!

Tim

Erie Lackawanna Dining Car Preservation Society


  
 
 Post subject: Re: CNJ Business Car Question
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:41 pm 

> Of course, the three Blue Comet obs
> remain...

Which was the coach obs used on the Phillipsburg trains in the 1970s, which I heard NJ Transit turned into their Business Car, NJT 1?

TyburnRR@cs.com


  
 
 Post subject: NJT #1
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:06 pm 

> Which was the coach obs used on the
> Phillipsburg trains in the 1970s, which I
> heard NJ Transit turned into their Business
> Car, NJT 1?

That car is now in the Tri-State NRHS collection.


  
 
 Post subject: Re: NJT #1
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:27 pm 

> NJT-1 is the former De Vico. The Biela is the car seen along rt 78. The Temple has once again been saved and is currently located Cape May? to be evaluated for a possilble return to service


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: