It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Teens and Railroading
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:35 am 

I am 16 years old and ever since the first time i laid eyes on a steamer ive been hooked ever since. Yet i am in a little bit of a dilemma, I want to get involved with steam locos more seriously but i dont have a railroad within at least 70 miles of me that has anything to do with steam. What should i try to do?


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Teens and Railroading
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:29 am 

> I am 16 years old and ever since the first
> time i laid eyes on a steamer ive been
> hooked ever since. Yet i am in a little bit
> of a dilemma, I want to get involved with
> steam locos more seriously but i dont have a
> railroad within at least 70 miles of me that
> has anything to do with steam. What should i
> try to do?

1. Don't be discouraged by us grumpy old men on this board.

2. If you attend one of the few remaining enlightened high schools with a shop course, take it and learn all you can about metalworking and mechanics. If not, there may be night classes at a local community college. Get your hands dirty.

3. Start building a small live steam model - FALK is a good beginning. Make it the project for the classes mentioned above. BTW, the few women you meet in mechanics and machining are well worth knowing (nudge wink).

4. Look for a college that is near an operating steam railroad and offers some HP programming. If college isn't in your future, apply for jobs on a steam railroad. If that doesn't pan out, apply for jobs near a steam railroad and volunteer.

5. BRING YOUR FRIENDS!

dave



irondave@bellsouth.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Teens and Railroading
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:27 am 

> I am 16 years old and but i dont have a
> railroad within at least 70 miles of me that
> has anything to do with steam. What should i
> try to do?

Tell us where you are and maybe someone on this board can direct you to an operation.


mont3682@bellsouth.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Teens and Railroading
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:40 am 

>
I am 16 years old and ever since the first
> time i laid eyes on a steamer ive been
> hooked ever since. Yet i am in a little bit
> of a dilemma, I want to get involved with
> steam locos more seriously but i dont have a
> railroad within at least 70 miles of me that
> has anything to do with steam. What should i
> try to do?

Both the states of Ohio and Pennsylvania ( in addition to other states) have strong steam locomotive programs and operations. Surf the net for steam sites, study on the internet and then visit a steam site(s).
Ohio will have the largest steam event in the US this July at Dennison. Multiple steam engines in operation and a lot more.
Check out the internet sites.

Happy Steaming,

RW in Columbus, Ohio

www.ohiocentral.com
lineswest@columbus.rr.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Teens and Railroading
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:38 pm 

> I am 16 years old and ever since the first

> Both the states of Ohio and Pennsylvania (
> in addition to other states) have strong
> steam locomotive programs and operations.
> Surf the net for steam sites, study on the
> internet and then visit a steam site(s).
> Ohio will have the largest steam event in
> the US this July at Dennison. Multiple steam
> engines in operation and a lot more.
> Check out the internet sites.

> Happy Steaming,

> RW in Columbus, Ohio

First of all --- WELCOME TO RYPN! Glad to have your input.

Contrary to popular belief (as well as my own), there is actually a core group of guys just above you in their 20's and 30's who might be able to lend you a hand as well into getting into one of the programs that operates steam. All of us (even old guys like Dave) have been there, and know what its like to have the yearning to work and be around steam. You'll find a lot of people out there of ALL age ranges who appreciate your situation, and are willing to help.

Dave has it right, though, with one exception --- I add some woodshop experience too, as their as just as many wood cars out there needing resto as the steamers, and even many steamers have wood-lined cabs. A guy who can do a bunch of different jobs help speed up a work session --- I saw graphic examples of that this past weekend!

Much to my surprise, we had a great number of guys working on ex-LS&I #33 last weekend at Ohio Central of ALL age groups, but a core were under 40 or so. A couple of us stood back and realized it was kind of nice --- the whole "common goal for a common good" kind of feeling.

The key is to get involved in a program where people are willing to have the pateince to teach you what you don't know, enhance what you do, and help you AND your skills grow. On your end, LISTENING and LEARNING is the key: a skill few have and even fewer learn. Those who are greatest teachers I've found are the greatest listeners --- and no, I fully admit I'm not always among them ;-) You'll find just reading comments on this board can teach you a lot, but there is nothing like the marriage of "book learnin'" with "hands-on exeperience".

In short, (too late) I think many of us envy you, in that at your fingertips and before your eyes are some of the most knowledgable people on rail preservation in the WORLD, let alone this country. We all wish to see it continue after we go, and you'll find lengthy time is given to discussions of just how to do that. Your input can be very valuable, and hopefully you channel that enthusiasm for steam into a life-long interest and development of skills that will help us take rail preservation into the future!

Sincerely,

TJ Gaffney


tjgaffney@phmuseum.org


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Teens and Railroading
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:57 pm 

Dave and TJ,

Brian was at Railcamp 2002 during the same week that I was (in the room right beside me actually). Over that time period, Brian, a fellow named Dave Harring (I believe he wrote an article in Railfan), Todd Brewer (who is involved with the CP Huntington Chapter)and I became like the resident steam freaks at Railcamp. We had a great time talkin steam with Josh Blay (also a regular reader and contributer to this board) who was in the midst of an internship at Steamtown. It was quite an experiance. Anyhow, back to Brian, I dont know anyone our age who can quote offhand most specifications of Pennsylvania Railroad Steam Locomotives. He has gotten in pretty good with many of the Strasburg guys, so he tells me.
He's a pretty cool guy and has a great passion for rail preservation.

Hayes S.

crzhaze@rrmail.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Teens and Railroading
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:10 pm 

I'm sorta in the same boat, yet there are some two foot gauge railroads in my area so i try to help when i can. I'm 15 years old and have been a railfan/Steam fan for just about my whole life. What I would really love to do is to be at the throttle of a big 4-8-4 at track speed :-). The long hours of running would'nt bother me. What really got me going was the article in the March 1993 issue of Railfan about running main line steam today. This summer though i'll be able to get my chance to work on a steam engine when i go to Railcamp.
-Justin Franz

qcmrs18@yahoo.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Teens and Railroading
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:02 pm 

> I am 16 years old and ever since the first
> time i laid eyes on a steamer ive been
> hooked ever since. Yet i am in a little bit
> of a dilemma, I want to get involved with
> steam locos more seriously but i dont have a
> railroad within at least 70 miles of me that
> has anything to do with steam. What should i
> try to do?

If all else fails, when you reach an age where you are looking for a career, try applying online at one of the major carriers. I work for Union Pacific and we are currently hiring for train service around the country. You could, at least, get some practical railroad experience if hired.


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Teens and Railroading
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:33 pm 

> I am 16 years old and ever since the first
> time i laid eyes on a steamer ive been
> hooked ever since. Yet i am in a little bit
> of a dilemma, I want to get involved with
> steam locos more seriously but i dont have a
> railroad within at least 70 miles of me that
> has anything to do with steam. What should i
> try to do?

Brian,

The advice on metal and wood shop is very good. Some other advice would be to start getting (and reading) some old RR books. I would suggest Basic Steam Locomotive Maintenance by D. C. Buell, by Rail Heritage Publications in Omaha, NE. A copy of the Mcshane's The Locomotive Up To Date and an Engineman's Manual - all are great places to start.

As you know there is always two ends of every scenario - the good side and the bad side. This isn't meant as discouragment as much as it is laying it out for you and preparing you for what you may encounter.

First of all remember, the Good Lord gave us two eyes and two ears but only one mouth. Watch and listen twice as much as you talk - but don't be afraid to ask questions.

Everyone is familiar with the parts of steam operation like, oiling around, greasing the rods, shoveling the coal and such, but the true locomotive experience comes from the most mundane of jobs. Many times I've arrived at the shops and see a particular job I thought would be really cool to do but found myself doing some really obscure thing like sorting old rusty boiler jacketing and measuring it for making the new. But let me tell you - I have learned more from jobs that at first impression looked dull than many I thought seemed more exciting at first. Some of the jobs you'll probably encounter are needle scaling, wire brushing, painting with a 2" brush. Scraping grease, cleaning rods with kerosene and polishing brass guages. AND then there's lapping - boy, talk about a dull and boring job but it's something that needs to be done. Someone has to do it but when you see that locomotive (or any other locomotive) under steam you'll have more of an appreciation for what it takes than most so-called rivet counting railfans.

Approach EVERY job as a privelege because there are many who would love the opportunity to work on locomotives and can't.

You're young and I know many places won't allow you to participate until you're at least 18 - use this time to read and study so when you get started you'll be quicker to comprehend what you are learning. Youth is a two-edged sword - you have the agility and stamina to keep up but lack the experience. You'll probably encounter the old "he's too young to do this" or "He's too inexperienced to do that" and the dreaded "He hasn't paid his dues yet". We've all encountered that in one form or another ourselves, but eventually you'll find your hand on that throttle.

My best advise though is to be patient, learn all you can and appreciate all you do and when that day does finally arrive to pull that throttle, you'll have much more appreciation for it.

Best of luck and keep us updated.

G

greg@skittercreek.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Teens and Railroading
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:43 am 

I would agree with Greg. There is a very large amount of stuff that must be done to get a steam engine ready for the road. Much more than I ever thought. I have been a railfan all my life but at 21 years of age it is hard to walk into a steam program and be welcomed. I feel very lucky that I have had the chance to do just that. I've learned a lot from doing jobs that seem small, and dull and they all are building blocks to the final goal: seeing an engine run so other people can enjoy it. I used to do a lot of chasing and I still love to when I can but after working on the engine that is running I have a greater respect for what went into getting the engine on the road.

I hope that there are other steam programs out there that willingly allow younger people to join in and help out. Steam engines that are taken care of will outlast many of the people that are working on them but if none of the young people know what to do there will be no one to run them. Get involved in a program in any way possible. Listen to what the experienced people have to say and don't avoid a job because it appears dull. It all needs to be done to get an engine running. It is good to see there are other people my age helping to keep steam going through the 21st century.
Greg

gregudolph@yahoo.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Teens and Railroading
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:16 pm 

Brian, try out the Teen Forum on railroad.net there are a bunch of us fellow teens over there that are volunteers/employees, maybe someone can help you out.


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Teens and Railroading
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:15 pm 

Hayes,

I've heard Railcamp mentioned a lot, but am still a little confused as to what the program actually is. Is it a regional thing, and a bunch of the younger folks just get together and have fun screwing around with trains, or is it an actual set of courses? I doubt I'd have enough time to attend one, but I'd like to learn more if you could fill me in a bit.

Thanks in Advance, Taylor


thrush@smt-net.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Teens and Railroading
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:47 pm 

Taylor,

I'm not Hayes, but check out the link below for Railcamp info.

Boyd



Railcamp
bowens@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Teens and Railroading
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:29 pm 

Only very recently did I start doing volunteer work at the North Carolina Transportation Museum in Spencer, NC. This will sound like foamer-talk, but I'm still delighted-no, pumped-about this opportunity. There are many folks there with an incredible array of skills, and they are GREAT to work with. While the minimum age for volunteers there is 18, 16-and 17-year-olds can work there with a signed permission form from their parent(s/guardian, I believe.

There is the opportunity to see techniques both old and new being performed on steam, and working alongside enthusiastic and knowledgeable folks is terrific.

I was in the Navy for a number of years, and each time I was stationed somewhere I volunteered for a railroad museum entity which had teenage volunteers of various ages. As you select a volunteer (or professional) outfit to work with, I hope that it will be a friendly and safe organization. When in doubt, people here are a good source of info for that.

Best wishes to you and your peers, who will carry the torch. This forum is phenomenal for sharing information, by the way.


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Teens and Railroading
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:30 pm 

To repond to Rays question i live in westchester county new york and as far as i know there isnt any steam programs around. I think the closest is the Valley RR Co. in essex conn. but still thats pretty far away.

P.S
Hayes! good to hear from ya!


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: