It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Passenger Trains, Grandparents, and Psychiatry
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:04 am 

I have a similar story, yet it doesn't exactly deal with grandparents. When my brothers and I were young in the early 70s, one of our "big trips" was the occasional car ride (my parents didn't own a car until 1976) to Dickson City from Scranton to see my Dad's bachelor uncles. Three of them living in a ramshackle house left by their mother.
The Erie-Lackawanna and Delaware & Hudson ran in the back yard, (along with the O&W in earlier days.) Road crossings at Boulevard and Bowman St. gave plenty of warning that the train was coming, and we'd all race to the wire fence to wave at the train. On Dec, 30, 2003,setting up for a New Years Party on the other side of the tracks, I heard the Delaware-Lackawanna diesel blowing for the crossings. I didn't run, or wave, but still got to see the train pass, much slower than in the 70s.
The kicker to this story is that my parents who encouraged the waving in Dickson, were always cursing the same D&H trains passing through the flats in Scranton .

http://www.nps.gov/stea/


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Photos, video, please
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:35 pm 

The move was done impromptu--originally the engine was to be picked up this coming Monday but since the SRC crew doing the shifting at the museum was on site and available last Tuesday they went ahead and finished the move. As far as I know, nobody got any pictures. Kind of a low key event at the time.

> I think we'd all like to see photos and/or
> video of this move, and those that preceded
> it.


  
 
 Post subject: "Ugly and pretty' steamers
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:56 am 

Found this engine built for the French PLM, it's about as plug ugly as it gets.Any opinons on "prettiest" and "ugliest" engines? By the way, personally I still think the GWR Castle Class are about the best looking engines built.

Link to site with Ugly French engine:
http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/L ... enchHP.htm

Disclaimer: I have no connection with the above site, just found it interesting.


captbuck@comcast.net


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: