It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Good quote.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:08 pm 

This companion story of Smokey Joe is short on accuracy, but I like the quote below:

"You could pick out the future mechanics every time. It was the little boy who lingered beside the engine after the ride, looking it all over, even stooping to peer into the fire box when the engineer fired up. Nothing escaped him. You knew he was thinking how he was going to be an engineer when he grew up and drive a real engine."

As one whose first exposure to steam was an ancient amusement park Cagney, I wonder how many others among us had the same experience, and is it relevant to the "Steam Survival" topic above?



http://www.hampton.lib.nh.us/hampton/history/holman/smokeyjoe.htm
ryarger@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: Young Volunteer Development Programs
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:58 pm 

> I don't know of any program specifically
> designed to address this other than NRHS'
> and Steamtown's RailCamp. I'd be very
> interested to learn of any other programs
> specifically targeted at younger volunteers.

> I guess the answer to this will differ
> according to the political views of the
> answerer. From where I sit, it seems current
> law offers plenty of freedom for endowing
> any nonprofit organization--its easy to do
> with the help of any competent estate
> planning attourny and it offers a lot of tax
> incentives already.

A young volunteer development program that has really worked would be wonderful information to have. Keeps every organization from having to reinvent the wheel. While "one size fits all" approach may not work, each organization has a lot of smart people who would know how to tailor the basic program to their group's specific needs.


amiller@rtms-movietrains.com


  
 
 Post subject: *If you have submitted a Brief....
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:16 pm 

If you have a submitted a Brief to me and haven't seen it published, I have bad news: my Mac is having a tough week and all of my RYPN files are gone, if not permanently then at least for a very long time.

If you still have the files, you can resubmit them. It is probably best to send them to Erik right now, as I have no idea when I am going to be back in action as I should be.

I apologize to Steve, Stephen, Brian and the others whose files I cannot access.

Rob Davis


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: