It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: No Guessing. Hello Kurt.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:53 pm 

I wasn't involved in the repainting, and I'm not a mechanical type, so I just made a general statement to avoid being in error--I believe it was a rust-inhibitive type of paint. I won't speculate further. If you really want to know, contact our Restoration Manager, Allan Martin, at RRMPA.

> I know what Imron is.

> My question is: what did they use ?


  
 
 Post subject: O. Winston Link steam recordings
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:22 pm 

I got my 5 CD set from the N&W Historical Society today.

What interested me was whether they set out to do what the original albums had and that was it. Volume 2 (The Fading Giant) was re-released several years ago and several of the segments were added bouncing the CD up to 78 minutes instead of the original 55 or so. No big deal to me although anyone who bought this re-release will want to hold onto it now as the current Volume 2 is missing the new tracks.

Sadly, the master tapes used to create the original LP's are gone (more victims of Conchita??). Hence, either good copies of the LP's or the original tapes had to be used. Will be honest and tell you that some of the source material is not in good shape and this was obvious yesterday when playing parts of Volume 3 (Thunder on Blue Ridge) as you could hear pops and cracks that they were not entirely able to remove.

All in all, though, my hat is off to the new Link Museum and members of the NWHS for making this material available again after so many years. One would hope over time better source material could be obtained and another remastering done.

Let's hope that even though this 5 CD set is a limited edition, that efforts will be made to keep this valuable historical record available for purchase for future generations.

And while we are it, what about releasing some of the 16mm movies that Link took during this same time of the N&W?


jimhollis612@charter.net


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: