It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Santa Cruz trolley question
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:26 pm 

Its a Budd RDC
look at this, http://www.sccrtc.org/packet/2003/0309/w0309-05a.pdf
The NIMBTY page, http://www.sccarred.org/


http://www.sccrtc.org/packet/2003/0309/w0309-05a.p
cliffwalters@comcast.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Many connections between SVRy and WP&Y
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:11 am 

> The second transaction that I know of was
> the sale of SVRy 19 and 20 with the Baldwin
> tenders to WP&Y. Next was probably the
> tranfer of SVRy cabeese 3 and 4 to the army
> for use on the WP&Y. I guess some of the
> SVRy ACF pass equipment was also sold to the
> army. I think more SVRy pass. equipment was
> sold about 1947 along with some flat cars to
> the WP&Y.

The Sumpter Valley sold the 2-8-2's in 1941 to the White Pass. The Military bought two cabooses and the two 1918 ACF combines in 1943. Then the two ACF coaches and one of the shorty 1918 RPOs were sold in 1947 to the White Pass.

I have a listing of ten flat cars going from the Sumpter Valley to the USArmy in 1942.

Hope this helps.

Brian Norden


  
 
 Post subject: Smithsonian Visit
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:47 am 

Hello all,

I've just returned from a business/school-related trip to Washington, D.C. where I spent some of my free time at the Smithsonian. I visited the "America on the Move" exhibit at the National Museum of American History (NMAH), and the Air and Space Museum's new Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles Airport. I thought I would share some observations I made by comparing and contrasting both exhibitions and their potential impact and lessons for us in Railway Preservation.

First, the Hazy Center at Dulles Airport is stunning when you approach. The giant hanger structure is large enough to house most of the Air and Space Museum's collection of large air and space craft such as the Boeing Dash 80, the Enola Gay, and a Concorde. The museum, while not fully finished did contain a good number of displays. On that particular Sunday afternoon, lots of families with young children visited the museum. The facility is first rate, but my only complaint rises from the lack of interpretation with the artifacts on display. The signage just explains the very basics of each aircraft, akin to saying "This is a Spad Biplane," or "This is a Concorde." What I thought lacked from the exhibit was the kind of interpretation that the Smithsonian was noted for. Granted, the aircraft themselves have a certain appeal, but expanded exhibits on how Glenn Curtis used the Langley Flyer (In heavily-modified form) in a patent suit against the Wright Brothers would have made the experience much better.

Back on the National Mall, I hiked down to NMAH to visit the "America on the Move" exhibit. What a contrast! The curators at NMAH did an excellent job with the design and execution of a display plan. Most of the exhibits were in an appropriate setting in order to provide a context. The Washington D.C. streetcar was on a piece of pavement with the conduit strip running down the middle of the tracks, cars were on a section of Route 66 that you could walk on, the Chicago L car was parked next to a recreated L station. Southern 1401 was in a scene that depicted the Salisbury, NC train station. The cab even had toolboxes, and two mannequins who talked about the slow orders out of Salisbury!

My basis for writing this is to point out that I think "America on the Move" is more inductive of the types of displays that Railroad museums need to shoot for. The aircraft at the Air and Space Museum may have some appeal, but I don't think the display of artifacts without discussing context, historical significance, or even operation and usage is a good way to display them, or invoke interest among visitors. I encourage all who are in the Washington D.C. area to visit both museums to see the contrast.



david.wilkins@bardstown.com


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: