It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Questions for the IRM folks
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:41 pm 

> I'm not sure how it got to IRM physically -
> I would guess by flatcar, but I'm not sure -
> but I believe the locomotive was owned by
> Elliott Donnelly before IRM. As far as I
> know, it was donated to the Museum by him.
> Shay 5 was the first steam engine to operate
> at IRM.

J. David Conrad's book says that Elliott Donnelley acquired the Shay in 1964. It then moved rather quickly through Hill City, SD, and North Freedom, WI, to get to Union in 1965. Listed as donated 8/69 to IRM.

Elliott Donnelley reportedly supported IRM in several ways. Also Mr. Donnelley gifted the 3' gauge 3-truck Shay to LaPorte County Historical Steam Society of Hesston, Indiania.

Brian Norden


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Museum Professionals are not the enemy!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:58 pm 

> TJ:

> Well said.

> Les
I must agree with this! The museum that I am involved in is a great place! I really love what I do! I will say that this place can not(I dont believe)function without the paid guys and the volunteers!

SOUTHERN630@HOTMAIL.COM


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frisco 4-8-4 #4500?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:53 am 

Wrong victim. You are thinking of Frisco #4500 which is in the Tulsa area.

> Some months back there was a thread about
> the plight of Frisco 4-8-4 #4501. It was
> apparently the victim of an abortive
> restoration attempt, and was sitting in an
> industrial park. The City of Tulsa
> apparently wanted to dispose of it, and
> there was some concern that it might be
> scrapped. What has happened to the old girl?


  
 
 Post subject: See TEA-21 Discussion Below
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:10 am 

Hey. There is a good thread down below covering the TEA-21/ISTEA programs and bike trails.

eichhouse@aol.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Longest tourist railroad?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:58 am 

> With Canton our railroad is 50 miles long, I
> never considered that we may be the longest
> tourist railroad east of the Missippi, Thank
> You for bringing it up!

> B. Allan

Forgive my spelling of Mississippi

http://www.cvsr.com
cvsrkahuna@aol.com


  
 
 Post subject: TEA-21 IN THE NEWS/ WHP 580 AM/ Harrisburg PA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:43 am 

This morning, RJ Harris, the morning personality on WHP 580 in Harrisburg, PA had a call-in from Tim Holden (D. PA) a member of the U.S. House of Representatives and a member of the House Transportation Committee. I believe it is a regular “feature” of the show.

When Mr. Harris inquired what the 2004 legislative agenda was, Rep. Holden specifically mentioned re-authorization of TEA 21.

However, he indicated that it is a congressional priority to have funds appropriated pursuant to this legislation be used for highway improvements because the electorate expects money from the “highway trust fund” to be used for that purpose and that this was a problem under both the current and prior administration.

For those of you familiar with Harrisburg, you know congestion is a sore topic-so this could be stroking the folks tied up in traffic-especially this week due to the annual Farm Show. It was unclear whether he meant that the funds are not being expended or are being spent on unauthorized projects.

It would have been interesting to ask how the restrictions on highway construction for “non-attainment” zones pursuant to the Clean Air Act are impeding the expediture of taxes for the levied purpose.

As a followup question, if two successive administrations are not executing the expressed will of the Congress, why havenÂ’t there been some inquiry and required testimony from the Secretary of Transportation.


superheater@rrmail.com


  
 
 Post subject: Announcing RyPN, Inc.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:18 am 

Dear Friends of RyPN--

Today we are please to announce the launch of Railway Preservation News, Inc., a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization which has be created to assume the operation of the Railway Preservation News web site. To learn more about RyPN Inc. and how you can now contribute to RyPN's maintenance, growth, and improvement, please read the message from Publisher Hume Kading by clicking the Messages link on the home page, or by clicking the link below.

Thhanks for your support and we look forward to serving you even better in the years to come.


RyPN Forms Nonprofit Org., Solicits Support
eledbetter@rypn.org


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: