It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Consolidation Question
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 6:49 pm 

I came from Mt. Rainier Scenic RR which is in oil-burning Mikado country. At Nevada Northern there are two Consolidations and a Ten-Wheeler that all burn rocks.

The back driving axle on #93 runs considerably warmer than the others. I can't quite agree that the location of the ash pan contributes to the heating. I do feel that there is considerable over-hung weight on a 2-8-0 that could load that axle more. Intend to weigh each axle load soon to see what's what. The configuration of the back equalizers and springs has been altered from original- I don't know why or who or when.

Would some of you 2-8-0 men have any clues that would help me out? I'd appreciate any insight.

Thanks!

Jack



nnry3@mwpower.net


  
 
 Post subject: draggin' yer wagon?
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 12:11 am 

Jack,

The cab of UP 618 at Heber was sagging -- worn pins and suspension the primary cause. I don't remember any comments of the rear axles running hot. It has been up on jacks for the last 5 weeks getting a major rebuild of the suspension.

Mike Manwiller seems to have a good handle on what the cause and remedy, you may want to give him a call (if you haven't already).

sc 'doc' lewis

> Jack


Heber Valley Railroad
utweyesguy@aol.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Consolidation Question
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 8:37 am 

We have had the same problem here. If your boxes are grease lubricated, I'll bet that combined with the ash that gets into to bearings is what is behind the problem, assuming that the journals and crown brasses aren't screwed up in the first place. Convert to oil cellars, and the problem will go away. We had several chronic hot driving boxes that have run at room temperature starting the day they were switched to oil.

Strasburg Rail Road Mechanical Department
kelly@strasburgrailroad.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Consolidation Question
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 10:20 am 

Ironically, while Scott Lindsay of Steam Operations Corp., who oversaw the collision rebuild of the NNRy #93 that was completed in 1996 and the boiler compliant rebuild completed in 2001, was here at the Museum of Transportation over the last few weeks assisting us, the subject of the #93 came up. Scott provided us with some invaluable guidance in preparing our Wabash Mogul, Scullin 0-6-0, and TRRA 0-6-0 frame for movement after nearly 4 decades on our "back forty," and lubrication, tramming, and other related topics came up several times.

According to Scott's recollections, the #93 ran trouble-free from the time of its collision rebuild in 1996 through its showing at the 2002 Olympics; however, given the inherent design of the locomotive, including placement of the ash pan and the lack of a trailing truck, the #4 driver may typically run warmer than the rest.

A more dramatic variance could be due to any of a number of variables, including the possible need for adjustment and lubrication of its Franklin self-adjusting wedges, hub liner wear, grease cellar maintenance issues, or bearing, hub liner, or shoe lubrication issues. A locomotive could also possibly be out of tram from normal operations or sustain undetected damage from a derailment or operating incident at some point, resulting in compounded issues evidenced by hot bearings.

Museum of Transportation
mbutterworth@stlouisco.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Consolidation Question
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 2:13 pm 

Many thanks for the postings and emails re: Consolidations. I'd like to throw another question out there about hot box sticks.

Once had trouble with a driving journal that was treated with the sticks. When that loco was re-rebuilt there was considerable stick up in the oil grooves on this oil lubed bearing, which I believe helped keep it cool.

I had been told that the stick is not really a good lubricant, but has ingredients that form a "glaze" on the journal that allows you to get to the shop for repairs. Is it true that hot box stick is not a good lubricant, but merely stop-gap? It has gotten me out of trouble in the past, with results that eliminated the need to drop the axle and pull the driving box for machining.

I am very tempted to jack the crown brass off the journal on loco #93 and load it up with the stick.

Any thoughts?

Thanks to everyone!

Jack

nnry3@mwpower.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Consolidation Question
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 12:21 am 

> Many thanks for the postings and emails re:
> Consolidations. I'd like to throw another
> question out there about hot box sticks.

> Once had trouble with a driving journal that
> was treated with the sticks. When that loco
> was re-rebuilt there was considerable stick
> up in the oil grooves on this oil lubed
> bearing, which I believe helped keep it
> cool.

> I had been told that the stick is not really
> a good lubricant, but has ingredients that
> form a "glaze" on the journal that
> allows you to get to the shop for repairs.
> Is it true that hot box stick is not a good
> lubricant, but merely stop-gap? It has
> gotten me out of trouble in the past, with
> results that eliminated the need to drop the
> axle and pull the driving box for machining.

> I am very tempted to jack the crown brass
> off the journal on loco #93 and load it up
> with the stick.

> Any thoughts?

> Thanks to everyone!

> Jack

Jack:

You are talking about the journal cooling sticks (aka "hot box dope"), trade name of "Kool-Ax"? Do they still make that stuff, anyway?

HP


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Consolidation Question
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 2:28 am 

I doubt that the hot box stick is made anymore, but I think that a lot of museum railroads may have older stock on their shelves. There are cases of it here at Ely.

Jack

nnry3@mwpower.net


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: