It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Coach trucks/draft gear?
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 1:00 pm 

"The Southern coach that was with them is actually gone now!"

I assume that the trucks and other salvageable draft gear was preserved by someone who can use it. I do hope that the Kiwanis club didn't take it to the local scrap facility.

"The teacher who raised this issue of restoring the Kanawha and caboose should be commended and recognized for her/his fine foresight and citizenship."

Amen! I hope someone makes such a nomination!


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Coach trucks/draft gear?
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 2:05 pm 

> "The Southern coach that was with them
> is actually gone now!"

> I assume that the trucks and other
> salvageable draft gear was preserved by
> someone who can use it.

The coach is not gone, at least not yet--the City parks dept. and the Kiwanis are still considering what to do with it. The project organizer said to me via email that "So far, no plan has been made concerning the Southern passenger car. It’s in really bad shape. The problems and cost of removing it makes that option unattainable. We are considering cleaning it up and patching it as best we can – but not restoring it – so that it can house an exhibit and signs."

eledbetter@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Making Sausage
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 4:06 pm 

> Will Rogers supposedly said that watching
> Congress work is like watching someone make
> sausage. That could be transferred to policy
> development, at least most of the serious
> public policy debates I have been around.

The exact quote (I think) was: "People who love sausage and the law should NEVER watch either being made."


Union Electrc of Illinois No. 3
dougb@sunserver.com


  
 
 Post subject: A Sad Sad Commentary
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 11:05 pm 

> if we had
> relied on railfan support the project would
> have been dead before we started.

A sad sad commentary. And worser, it is replicated around the country. Just ask the folks in Douglas, Wyoming, about the response they got from local rail enthusiasts a few years back when the ex-CB&Q 4-8-4 #56?? needed a facelift.

The C&NW was ready to provide materials. A couple of ex-CB&Q mechanical types were ready to work and supervise. All that was needed was 400 or so man-hours of labor.

When I quit visiting the area (export PRB coal deal was done), the poor ole girl was still rusting away. Actions like that allow railroad preservationists to be marginalized or considered "non players" and "not on the radar screen." Kinda a repeat of the SR 2-8-0 #153 performance I spoke of earlier.

> Personally, I can't think of anything I'd
> rather do than improve the condition of a
> sad rusting locomotive like the one in
> Lynchburg. Perhaps after retirement in four
> years I can.

We could use your help at TVRM, if you are anywhere nearby.


  
 
 Post subject: Re: They're Eating Our Cheese
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:06 am 

You know, I have to disagree. I don't care who got the cheese, at least somebody got it before the rats had it all. IMHO, real rail road preservation comes when teh community at large gets interested and does something about the problem at hand. In this case, maybe the old Kanawha will get some regular attention by someone other than vandals. These locomtives were not placed on display for a single group of enthusiasts to covet.
Perhaps the important thing is for real railroad preservationists to lend some authoritative expertise in restoring the locomotives, and tapping this wonderful resource of public energy and concern.



glueck@maine.edu


  
 
 Post subject: Where is this place?
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 8:06 pm 

During several pursuits of NS steam excursions in the 1980's and 90's, I tried several times to find this engine, (2760) with no luck.
Of course, there was not alot of time to waste, and I think I always get lost in Lynchburg.
On a future trip to the O.W.Link museum, I want to try again.
Thanks for directions.


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kiwanis, Boy Scouts, JayCees
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:25 pm 

Eric and all the good folks on RyPN

In most of the cases with Park engines and railcar displays the Powers that be is the City or the Park Service. In some cases they are very friendly to a group who wants to take on the task of cosmetic restoration and then there are others that arent as nice.

As far as Policy? I guess each makes up their own right now. It is one of those things that sounds good to try but to start you need a person or group of people who is motavated and is willing to spend the time it takes to work it up, then you have to get all the different groups to agree to work together to make it work.
Andrew Martin
TWVRPS

> OK, but I am still confused--who is the body
> issuing the prospective policy? Whom is it
> intended to govern?


amartin@wlu.edu


  
 
 Post subject: Riverside Park directions
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 5:29 pm 

> On a future trip to the O.W.Link museum, I
> want to try again.
> Thanks for directions.

Riverside Park is off of Rivermont Ave. about 1.5 miles west of downtown Lynchburg. Just go west on Main Street in downtown Lynchburg; you'll cross Business Rt 29 and the bridge over Blackwater Creek, and then Main becomes Rivermont. Look for a sign for the park on the right; turn in, park your car, and walk downhill along the service road into the park until you see the display on the left.

If you are driving west up Rivermont and come to Randolph Macon Women's College you missed Riverside Park; turn back and go back east 1/4 mile.


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: