It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2026 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Second call for a Preservationists Voice MEC 470
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:43 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:26 am
Posts: 4777
Location: Maine
I am posting this once more in hopes that railroad preservationists will email Mayor LePage of Waterville, Maine, with an endorsement of sheltering MEC Pacific #470, long neglected in a public park. My original notice with the Mayor's email address is listed below.
My friends, I have feeling that this will be our last and best hope to get her under cover and out of the weather, if not the vandals. If you are willing to voice your endorsement of saving this beautiful, but heavily vandalized and weathered passenger engine, please make it known now. The City Council will be discussing it with me and several other members of this group on Sept. 07, 2004, at 7pm. The City Council meets on the third floor of the old Sterns Building, in downtown Waterville.

Original message:
In response to the package of information I mailed to the Mayor of Waterville, Maine, discussion of what to do with the static display of Pacific #470 has been place on the City Council Agenda, for September 07, 2004, at 7PM. It is an open meeting and I will be discussing the locomotive proposals with the Council. If you can attend, please do so, otherwise you can email your views to Mayor Paul LePage at mayor@waterville-me.gov . I think the Council needs to know that the 470 needs cover, that it is an irreplaceable treasure of historic value, and that a positive solution is called for.

In short,the package of proposals offered three positive choices; a large railroad museum building be built around the locomotive, to become the focus of an interpretive center; an fence enclosed weather shed, to house the engine for cosmetic restoration and prevent further vandalism; moving the locomotive to a museum where it can be better cared for or possibly restored for operation in the future.

More important than any of these single choices is to voice your commitment towards railroad preservation and the need to secure this locomotive before it is lost to the ravages of weather and vandals.

I want to thank all of you in advance for doing what you can to show that the 470 has friends.

RIchard Glueck

_________________
"It's only impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Second call for a Preservationists Voice MEC 470
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:00 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:37 pm
Posts: 143
Location: Maine - Montana
I've E-mailed a few days ago, I hope it works. Please if you can't go to the meeting please e-mail, every bit helps. I'm unable to go to the meeting thought. But like Mr. Glueck say's its a classic locomotive and this could be the last chance.

-Justin Franz


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Second call for a Preservationists Voice MEC 470
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:06 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:07 am
Posts: 138
Location: Central Nebraska
I sent the mayor my .02 worth the first time you asked........Wooly

_________________
Only The Nose Knows For Sure


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Second call for a Preservationists Voice MEC 470
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:18 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:07 am
Posts: 1114
Location: Northeastern US
This is a beautiful locomotive. Kudos, Richard -for making something happen!

Image
Image
Image
Image


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Second call for a Preservationists Voice MEC 470
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:49 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:45 am
Posts: 1138
Location: Beaumont, Texas
I just sent one myself; and BBC'ed you, Richard.

-James Hefner
Hebrews 10:20a

Surviving World Steam Project


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Help the poor 470 out
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:37 am 

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:19 pm
Posts: 1124
Location: Washington, D.C.
I too sent an e-mail this morning. C'mon gang, let's help Richard out. 470 is a beauty, and sadly neglected--the least we can do is write an e-mail.

_________________
Erik Ledbetter
www.steamsafari.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: A BIG thank you to all!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:58 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:26 am
Posts: 4777
Location: Maine
You guys are the heart and soul of railroad preservation, and I thank you all. The images were a really important part of showing why 470 needs al the friends she can get. I will let you know what can be done after the meeting.

I know that funding is going to be the looming issue in this rehabilitation. Anyone who has had success in seeking outside funding for similar projects, please contact let so we can put together a "short list" of possible granting resources.

glueck@maine.edu
or
rglueck@orono-ms.u87.k12.maine.us

_________________
"It's only impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Main Central 4701
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:33 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:58 pm
Posts: 1084
I just sent the Mayor an email. Hope they help the old girl out.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Grants
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:08 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:32 am
Posts: 221
Location: CT
Try applying to either Amherst Railway Society or Trains Magazine. Both give out railway preservation grants.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Second call for a Preservationists Voice MEC 470
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:49 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:26 am
Posts: 4777
Location: Maine
Thank you for those suggestions. I will keep them in mind during the Tuesday night presentation.

RDG

_________________
"It's only impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: sent my 2 cents too
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:53 pm 

Richard
I emailed the mayor too. Keep up the good work
Andrew Martin


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Second call for a Preservationists Voice MEC 470
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:36 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:50 am
Posts: 489
Location: Columbia, MD
I just sent my Email to Mayor LePage.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: my 2 cents worth
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:25 pm 

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:21 pm
Posts: 243
Location: Niagara Falls, Ontario
Well, i sent my opinion in....Even in Canada, we have the same problem. In FOrt Erie, CNR 4-8-4 Northern #6218 was retired operable. Almost 30 years of harsh Fort Erie winters, along with lack of preventive maintenance has taken it's toll. 6218 is just like it's sister engines, 6213 in Guelph, and 6200 in Ottawa. All of which are in a bad state of decay. Even a simple roof overhead would have helped to slow some of the deterioration.

_________________
Ken Jones Jr.
President - Niagara Railway Museum
http://www.nfrm.ca


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: