It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2026 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: ATTENTION WEBBBS LOVERS
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:57 pm 

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:01 pm
Posts: 213
Location: Seattle, WA
Before we switched to PHPBB I scoured the Internet looking for a webbbs style forum with a SQL backend. There isn't such a product in existence at this time (at least not that I was convinced was reliable).

We got the best thing we could find. It's not perfect, and we can, and will, make some improvements. Already had some suggestions for making navigation easier and for changing the default number of posts that show up, and making it easier for the viewer to change it.

However, there is a possibility that we can convert PHPBB to a threaded format (similar to webbbs). We are studying that possibility, but it will take time to implement, once we're convinced it works and is stable.

(I'm still fixing other scripts on RyPN right now, but hopefully get back to work on improving the Interchange real soon.)

So, in the meantime, if learning the new format is too stressful for you, below is a list of 3 railroad webbbs forums:

http://www.chaski.com/cgi-bin/webbbs_fo ... fg_rfan.pl

http://scripts.sunserver.com/cgi-bin/st ... _config.pl

http://www.ngdiscussion.net/cgi-bin/NGDFcook.pl/

I can't guarantee they are moderated as carefully as the Interchange. But, they apparently don't have the problems with webbbs that we do on our site.

Also, below is the link to the webbbs support forum:

http://awsd.com/scripts/forum/webbbs/index.cgi

You can go there and tell them how much you like it, and maybe ask them to fix it so it works better. While you're at it you can request they:

1. add personal messaging;
2. give posters the ability to edit their posts AFTER they're posted;
3. the ability to exclude/include the text of a post you're responding to (QUOTE button), instead of getting it whether you wanted it or not;
4. add a feature so when somebody makes a post to an old thread it shows up at the top of the list, instead of having to search for it down at the bottom of the list.

(And, BTW, PHPBB is free, webbbs cost money. Ask them to fix that too.)

_________________
Hume Kading
Don't eat live food.


Last edited by Hume Kading on Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATTENTION WEBBBS LOVERS
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:53 pm 

Hume
I feel you have done a great job keeping the Interchange up an running. I deal with computers on a daily basis as part of my regular work so when change happens I am able to deal with it with no trouble. I understnad the reason for change and the need for it too.
So here is a big THANK YOU from me. Keep up the great work.
Andrew Martin


Hume Kading wrote:
Before we switched to PHPBB I scoured the Internet looking for a webbbs style forum with a SQL backend. There isn't such a product in existence at this time (at least not that I was convinced was reliable).

We got the best thing we could find. It's not perfect, and we can, and will, make some improvements. Already had some suggestions for making navigation easier and for changing the default number of posts that show up, and making it easier for the viewer to change it.


(And, BTW, PHPBB is free, webbbs cost money. Ask them to fix that too.)


  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATTENTION WEBBBS LOVERS
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:47 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:24 pm
Posts: 169
Location: Litchfield, MN.
Hume, remember you're only hearing from those who don't like it for some reason or other. Likely most-not all, but most of those you don't hear from are perfectly happy with the new system.
For one, I have no problem at all with it. I'm a guy who usually hates change. But when I can see it's for the better, then I'm for it. On this web site, I see improvement and I'm all for it. (Now you have one positive vote!)
Mark D.
Webbbs is fine for what it's intended for. But, like everything else, it has its limitations.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Threading, Please!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:07 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:50 am
Posts: 43
Hume,

I understand the reason for changing, and feel that access to the archive is very important, but I find myself using RYPN much less under the new format. The reason is, I only see the title of the initial post and as such, I may skip over it if it doesn't interest me. Under the old system, I could see all the later posts and their titles, many of which interested me and brought me into the thread. Granted, long threads got so far over on the right side of the page as to be difficult, but I still prefered that to the present system. Just my $0.02!
Good luck with your continuing improvements.


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: