It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2026 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Royal Hudson in Sylmar, CA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:55 pm 

Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:52 pm
Posts: 41
Location: Pasadena, CA
Can anyone tell me the status of the Royal Hudson 2839 being restored in Sylmar, CA? The locomotive is in the Nethercutt Collection but I can't seem to find any information on the locomotive itself.

_________________
Jeff Lamb

"Hey California, where ya from?"


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Hudson
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:56 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:46 pm
Posts: 188
I remember reading a lot of internet traffic a few years ago when the locomotive was shipped from Steamtown (I think) to California. It never was intended to be restored to operating condition, at least then. Apparently it received an excellent cosmetic restoration (I can't vouch for that, have never seen it). Has anyone photographed it?
Now in Oregon, lived in Lancaster, CA for 35 years.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: CPR 2839
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:55 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:33 pm
Posts: 112
2839 had been stored in Temple, PA on the old BM&R tourist railroad. It then went to California. The Nethercutt organization did a wonderful cosmetic resoration on it and a picture of the final result appeared in Trains magazine a while back. It looks great, and I believe they display it with a collection of antique cars.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Royal Hudson in Sylmar, CA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:32 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:26 am
Posts: 4777
Location: Maine
Is there anything operationally wrong with the 2839? Glad to see her in good hands, but she belongs in CPR territory (my opinion).

_________________
"It's only impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: CPR 2839
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:49 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:33 pm
Posts: 112
It really deteriorated while in storage in Temple. Before it was there it ran briefly at the Wilmington and Western, but mechanical problems (I think) sidelined it after just a few months. But I sure loved that engine when it ran for the Southern.


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: