It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2026 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Railroad Museum of Long Island - Engine 39 restoration bid.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:03 am 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:13 pm
Posts: 152
Location: Southold NY
Fellow RyPN Forum Members,

The second round of bidding for the long-awaited restoration of LIRR G5s, #39 is about to begin. Please wish us luck in this endeavor. If there are any readers interested in bidding on this restoration project, we welcome you.

www.co.suffolk.ny.us/public%20works/bdccp6419.pdf

Photos taken at a recent work session (4 SEP 04) in preparation for the bidder’s inspection and walk-through may be seen at:

http://64.78.30.219/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2991

Enjoy.


Don Fisher, n2qhvRMLI


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: LIRR 39 bid question
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:00 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 6464
Location: southeastern USA
With respect, before I tie up $100 again, has the structure and language been altered so that it no longer resembles a public works project, or is it much as it was last time?

dave


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Railroad Museum of Long Island - Engine 39 restoration b
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:30 am 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:13 pm
Posts: 152
Location: Southold NY
Hi Dave,

I personally have not seen the latest document. The Board of Trustees have been assured that all Federal, State and County "prevailing wage" requirements have been waived due to the unique character of the work. That was not the case in the 2003 bid spec offering.

In addition, it is our understanding that technical and engineering data regarding the condition of the locomotive's assemblies and the work that has been done to it, to date, will also be included in this package. The DPW had not included this material in the first offering.

Please contact me off line if you have any specific questions. I hope your interest continues.

Don, n2qhvRMLI


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Railroad Museum of Long Island - Engine 39 restoration b
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:50 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:00 am
Posts: 88
Don-
I'm a frequent infrequent visitor (sorry to be oxymoronic, but I visit often; just at a strange schedule!) to the RMLI Riverhead site.

I've talked to various people and have been in contact with two RMLI members primarially concerning the miniature train for my guidebook to miniature/narrow gauge trains...but being my main interest is steam, I've been looking over the 39 every time I go there.

Dick Horn told me (confirmed by the web reports I've read) that there are plans to convert #39 to oil when it actually gets under steam again. I was told this has something to do with air quality board folks. My question is...why are they letting the #142 (and previously #614) which were in rather regular excursion service in NY, burn coal? Another thing I heard was this was to ease operation. Being from California, I can attest that oil-fired locomotives are much cleaner in the cabs and on the outside appear 'cleaner'. However, a true Northeastern locomotive burns coal. Does this have to do with the state board, or something on a more local level?

Over between Riverhead and Greenport on the ROW, the towns are (except for the roads on some days) very quaint and rather quiet. I see you're from Southold so you can attest to this. I spent a lot of time up that way coming over via the South Fork. I'm sure the residents wouldn't like black coal smoke wafting over their way.

Since the #39 was not designed to run tender-first at road speeds so I was told, which is why the turntable was brought down to Riverhead from the Arcade & Attica...are there any possibilities for excursions on the Montauk branch? I've heard things float around; and its been so long since I've been at the Montauk yard I can't remember if there's a wye there. I'd love the day when I could 39's whistle from my house even if it was once a year...or watch it cross over the Shinnecock Canal trestle!!

One of these days I'll remember and send in membership dues so I can get the 'Postboy' in the mail. Having the RR museum so close was really a great thing for the East End.

Thanks and Keep Steaming,
Ed Kelley

PS...on that note...what kind of whistle is #39 supposed to have anyways?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Railroad Museum of Long Island - Engine 39 restoration b
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:02 am 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:13 pm
Posts: 152
Location: Southold NY
Hello ontracked,

A couple of good questions, hope to meet you face to face one day, don’t be a stranger about the yard.

The issue of converting from coal to oil fired is a requirement of the MTA and the LIRR. Since we will be guests of New York State when we operate, we have a host of issues that must be met. “Clean Air Standardsâ€


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Railroad Museum of Long Island - Engine 39 restoration b
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:14 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:13 pm
Posts: 152
Location: Southold NY
Hello RyPN Members,

The Suffolk County Department of Public Works and the Railroad Museum of Long Island held vendor inspections of Steam Locomotive #39 last week. The DPW has moved the date of the bid openings to Tuesday. October 19, 2004 at 11:00 AM to give interested vendors additional time to prepare their bids.

For more information, please contact Mr. Michael J. Monaghan, P.E. Suffolk County Department of Public Works, 335 Yaphank Avenue, Yaphank NY, 11980-9477. Phone: 631-852-4225 FAX: 631-852-4246.

de Don, n2qhvRMLI


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Railroad Museum of Long Island - Engine 39 restoration b
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:25 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:26 am
Posts: 4777
Location: Maine
Remarkably, almost 49 to the day of her last steaming.
I have told the story many times, but my Dad was the man who put her on display in Stony Brook, and cooperated with the display of #35 at (then) Salisbury Park, in Westbury. I have a strong bond to these locomotives. So good to hear of progress. When the bidding is completed, will list of prospective rebuilders be made public, along with the bids they submitted? Do all the rebuilders have to be Long Island firms, or can she possibly go to Strasburg, or another proven facility?
Oil firing is not as nice as coal, but it's a small concession to have her hot again.
Do let us know the results in detail!

Dick

_________________
"It's only impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Railroad Museum of Long Island - Engine 39 restoration b
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:33 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:13 pm
Posts: 152
Location: Southold NY
Hi Dick,

Yes, when the bidding process is finished, it will be public information. The bid opening is a public affair that anyone interested may attend.

Bidders can come from anywhere. Where the locomotive components are restored will be determined by the successful bidder and the County of Suffolk. The restoration project is broken into five contracts (components) for restoration:

CONTRACT NO. 1 GENERAL CONTRACTING, RUNNING GEAR, ACCESSORIES, FRONT END, AND ASSEMBLY
CONTRACT NO. 2 BOILER
CONTRACT NO. 3 SPEED CONTROL AND EVENT TIMER
CONTRACT NO. 4 TENDER TANK
CONTRACT NO. 5 OIL BURNER

We can’t wait to see what October 19th brings.

de Don, n2qhvRMLI


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: