It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2026 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Bay City roundhouse question
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:21 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:35 am
Posts: 8139
Location: Wilton, NY
Anyone know if this former Grand Trunk Western roundhouse still exists at Bay City, Michigan?

http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/R ... ityGTW.htm


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bay City roundhouse question
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:03 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:54 am
Posts: 746
Location: Michigan
Funny you should mention this roundhouse. I, Dave Sutter, Fritz Milhaupt too, I believe (and assumably others) have tried to find this thing ever since this was first posted. Near as I can tell, no ---- I believe, according to Sanborn Maps, its location would roughly be where a "Hooters" now exists at West Bay City.

Neat structure though, huh?

What does still exist is what I think is the former Bay City "Wenona" NYC roundhouse just north of here on US 13. I believe it is owned by a scrap dealer or some other firm now, however, the turntable long since removed. If not this roundhouse, I'm not sure which, other than Central Michigan and Lake States operated out of the yard along US -13 for a while.

TJG

[img]http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/imagesRRHX/Roundhouses/MCRRWenonaRoundhouse021056[ELNovak-CharlieWhippCollection].jpg[/img]


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bay City roundhouse question
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:04 pm 

Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:10 pm
Posts: 101
Location: Michigan
Part of the Wenona roundhouse still stands. I believe it is used for storage by Dobson's Moving. The smaller three stall enginehouse is the mystery I have tried to figure out for a long time. Talking to the old railroaders at the White Goose Inn near the tracks on the west side of Bay City has not yeilded much luck. I do find it funny that the header on the webpage says Bessemer, Michigan. The caption on the photo says Bay City (west side). Anyone know for certain the history of this neat lil structure?

Dave


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bay City roundhouse question
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:52 am 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:59 pm
Posts: 83
Location: St. Charles, MI
Are you sure that roundhouse was in Bay City? It appears almost identical to the GTW roundhouse that was in Saginaw years ago. Location was off of Jefferson Ave. behind Means Stamping.

When I was a kid (late 50's), I used to go over there early Saturday mornings sometimes and help the crew get their loco hot for the day's switching work.

Fred


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bay City roundhouse question
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:26 am 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:59 pm
Posts: 83
Location: St. Charles, MI
I'm curious enough to try tracking down some more info on this old roundhouse. Not having much luck with google, however I did find a link to a pic of one of the GTW 0-8-0 switchers that worked out of Saginaw during the late 50's. I'm not sure, but I think that during that time era, GTW maintained another steam switcher or two in Bay City, and rotated the Saginaw-based switcher back to BC when it needed servicing. There was a waterplug available at the roundhouse site, and a armstrong turntable, about 80 ft. as I recall.

This roundhouse would have been very near the site of Saginaw Brick when it existed, are there any board members still around that could fill us in on the history of rail service for the brickyard?

Fred

http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/Pictures/Photos/021-025/Photo027B.htm


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: