It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2026 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: B&O Museum Sticker Shock
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:58 am 

Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:24 pm
Posts: 462
Location: Scranton, PA
In 1995, when Steamtown first started charging a fee, scores of visitors, their arms laden with shopping bags from the nearby mall would argue endlessly about the $6.00 fee to see the museum, especially on days with no train to Moscow, which they expected to be run at the drop of a hat.
As the museum price rose and eventually fell back to $6.00, people decided to make the most of their money, indulging in the programs, movies, exhibits and yard shuttles, now offered every day, regardless of excursion activity.
I understand where Mr. Mitchell is coming from, with an impulse visitor "just wanting a look around" feeling fleeced, but these people have to judge their time and money accordingly. Only you can make an experience worth your time and money. I'm sure most B&O visitors will get more than $14 worth out of a visit, if they invest the time.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: B&O Museum Sticker Shock
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:55 am 

Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:36 pm
Posts: 322
Location: Laurel Run, Pa.
Well JB, as a frequent visitor to Steamtown, its very sad to see such rare equipment such as the CPR. 4-4-4 Jubilee, and many other treasures there just crumbling. I realize everything can't be restored due to work force, and money issues, but this equipment has been around for a long time here in Scranton, and it came here in far better shape than it is now! One long time volenteer who has since passed away asked if he could paint the Big Boy on his own time, supplying his own paint to spruce her up. He was told NO!
As for Baltimore, I have to admit, I havn't been there since 1999, Most locomotives on display then looked pretty good to me.

The point of all this is, As the static museum at Steamtown is well done, and the programs are neat, I know, because I was a former volunteer doing shop tours and such. You will have to pay to look at a lot of crumbling rail stock, One would think that the center piece locomotives as you drive into the site would be well taken care of, and this dosn't take into account that the trolley museum which is located there isn't affiliated with Steamtown, not to mention the Delaware-Lackawanna which runs through Steamtown on Lackawanna Rail Authority track! It should be interesting to see how all this plays out.

And yes! By all means, I will continue to video, and photograph Steamtown excursions when they run, which is becoming far, and few between.

Ed K. cp. Laurel Run

_________________
Edward J. Kaspriske

OH WELL PRODUCTIONS / HORNS INC.

www.dieselairhorns.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: B&O Museum Sticker Shock
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:11 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:51 pm
Posts: 12169
Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Quote:
So Ed, tell me how the ex RDG engine at Baltimore is doing. Better then 2124? How about the B&O 2-8-2 and 4-6-2 and the C&O streamlined engine at Baltimore as well? Other pieces? Also, does this mean you will stop recording Steamtown's trips?


Don't ask.

Right now, the B&O Museum has some wonderfully restored pieces awaiting the patrons--a wooden reefer, a couple passenger cars, etc. However, a couple pieces have seen better days, and to be brutally honest I think they've hidden the AFT 1 as best they can. I posted a photo of the "current" appearance of AFT 1 at one point when they were switching and a 3/4 wedgie was possible for about a day or so. I think there are some people that still don't speak to me as a result. But it's gotten no better. <:-( (And I'm NOT getting into the vicious debate over whether the Reading worshippers ever put their griping into deeds and offered to paint the AFT 1, or whether the B&O Museum just wouldn't let them but wanted money instead.....)

Patience, though, folks. The steel is up at the new Restoration Shop, and trust me, if the reality is anything lile the plans I've glanced at, volunteers will be clamoring to do work there--maybe myself included, depending on conditions. It's literally the difference between trying to work on your automobile in your backyard with a pair of pliers and a jack, and working on it in a clean, well-equipped, well-lit garage and body shop. What would probably take a month or two in the current facilities may happen in mere weeks in a proper facility.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: B&O Museum Sticker Shock
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:05 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:38 am
Posts: 1013
Location: Philadelphia
Alexander, etc:

I just wanted to say that I didn't think any less of the B&O Museum then I do Steamtown NHS. I just wanted to point out the fact that the condition of some of the rolling stock at the B&O Museum is at par with other museums. I have nothing but respect for its dedicated employees and staff. I have never been to Mt. Clare and look forward to the day I do.

Joshua


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: