It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2026 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: What is the US steam status?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:12 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:18 am
Posts: 281
After reading all the posts, I thought I'd better reply to some of the charges of "mistakes." The 2004 list was done by both Jim Wrinn and myself. You might have noticed that I added some additional information to each listing, such as the locomotives builder, built date, and former railroad. As for the "mistakes," yes, S.S.& S Ry. No. 26 was listed as running, and it is not. I called the museum and was told it was running, so it was listed. I'm very sorry that it wasn't, but this is the information I had to go by. Ditto for a few other engines.

Let me address some of the other "errors." Eric says thes engines were listed as operational:

WW&F #9
- Not on the 2004 list; has not run except on compressed air, therefore it wasn't listed.

B&H #7&8, Monson RR #3 & 4
- Only Monson No. 4 listed on 2004 list. This engine is the one brought up to FRA specs. The others, while actually operational, can't be run until they are as well.

Operational locomotives Eric says aren't listed:

WW&F#10
- On 2004 list

Arcade & Attica #18
- Not listed, because when the July 2004 Railfan went to print the railroad was still working on it. I called, and was told that it probably wouldn't be running in 2004. Therefore, it was not listed. Has this situation changed?

EBT #15
- Not listed, as it didn't run in 2004. Checked this via telephone with the Strasburg crew working on it. If it is going to run next year, it will be on the list.

As for the "10 engines in California," I know for a fact that there are several engines on the list that have private owners and are not listed. This includes the 2-foot gauge Shay in Pennsylvania, several small narrow gauge engines on the West Coast, and even a couple engines right here in Minnesota. Why not list them? Because most are not available for public viewing, and are on private property. Unfortunately, many private owners do not welcome railfans, and asked not to be listed. The engines on the list are, for the most part, available for public viewing.

A list like this takes a great deal of time and effort. Hundreds of phone calls were made and dozens of emails sent. How can you help? If you know of an engine that is to run in 2005, and is not on the 2004 list, please let me know at jterry618@earthlink.net. Help make the 2005 list the most accurate ever!

Jeff Terry


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is the US steam status?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:39 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:21 pm
Posts: 136
Location: Wisconsin
Jeff and I took a good list, originally made available at Steam Central in 2003, and made it better earlier this year. We used a sound rule to go by: that you gather the "best and most accurate version of the truth," which translates in modern steam railroading that some expectations come to pass and some don't; some engines believed to be running aren't and some that are believed to be parked are in fact, sitting on the ready track with 180 lbs on the gauge. I still believe it's the closest we've come to putting a finger on the current servicable list, given the changing nature of rebuilds, the on-again-off-again nature of Part 240 work, the insurance crisis and the devastating impact of the bad economy on shortline, museum and tourist railroading.

Well, I'm missing a crew weekend this coming weekend in North Carolina, so I guess instead of being home sick, guess I'm Shay-sick? Best to all! Jim


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is the US steam status?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:50 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:05 am
Posts: 1140
Location: San Francisco
Jeff,

That was a great list you and the others compiled. I am involved in a marititime list of historic ships, so I know what you went through.

Perhas, this suggestion. Next time you could mention more about just what criteria you used to make the entry. I quite agree that if it is on private property and the public can't get to it, it is not on this list, which you pointed out at the beginning was steam engines that are available for public viewing!

Keep up the good work! On to the 2005 list!

Ted Miles


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is the US steam status?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:51 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:05 am
Posts: 1140
Location: San Francisco
Jeff,

That was a great list you and the others compiled. I am involved in a marititime list of historic ships, so I know what you went through.

Perhaps, this suggestion. Next time you could mention more about just what criteria you used to make the entry. I quite agree that if it is on private property and the public can't get to it, it is not on this list, which you pointed out at the beginning was steam engines that are available for public viewing!

Keep up the good work! On to the 2005 list!

Ted Miles


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What is the US steam status?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:56 pm 

Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:53 pm
Posts: 660
Jeff Badger wrote:
In California alone there are 10 operable steam locomotives not accounted for and were operable in 2003 and still are to this day.


Jeff,

let me repeat here how the SteamCentral list begins:

Below you will find a list, compiled by "Crystal Ball" author Jim Wrinn, of serviceable steam locomotives by state for 2003 in the United States. Any list of this nature includes judgement in what to include: the locomotives listed here represent those with a realistic expectation of operating in revenue service during 2003. "Park engines" such as those at Disney locations are not included here, with the exception of the unique, historically-accurate engines at Knott's Berry Farm.

Corrections and additions are welcome at crystalball@steamcentral.com.



No claim to be exhaustive; the word "ALL" is nowhere found. Just the opposite, in fact. I intentionally excluded some engines because they were not what SteamCentral was created to cover - Cagneys, Disney, or tarted-up.

Oh, and did you send your list of corrections to Jim?

Jim Wrinn did a fine job. He did it for fun. He's not obligated to any of the cranks complaining here.

JAC[/b]


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: