It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: B&O Grand Opening -Parking/ WMSR comment
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:19 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:54 pm
Posts: 2617
Any advice on parking and other logistical matters when attending the B&O grand reopening on Sat. Will arrive in the AM and head home that evening. Thanks.Also we'll be doing our part for the WMSR on Friday. We'll let our Cumberland merchants/vendors know why we are there and why we won't have need to return if the train stops.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: B&O Grand Opening -Parking/ WMSR comment
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:00 am 

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:19 pm
Posts: 1124
Location: Washington, D.C.
Supe--Ordinarily parking is in front of the roundhouse amid the front yard outdoor displays, accessed via the museum's front gate at the corner of Pratt and Poppleton. For special events they sometimes direct traffic to a large back lot behind the property, and they may be doing that for the reopening. If so they will have signs up directing you to it. The back lot is enough to absorb DOWT-sized crowds so you should not have a problem parking.

_________________
Erik Ledbetter
www.steamsafari.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: B&O Grand Opening -Parking/ WMSR comment
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:54 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:51 pm
Posts: 12170
Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
I can add that there IS free neighborhood on-street parking in the area. Maybe it's my parking tiki god or something, but every time I've been at the Museum on a crowded occasion, I've copped an on-street spot within a block of the entrance on Pratt Street. As with any big-city parking, pay close attention to the posted signage lest it ban parking for a nearby stadium event, during certain phases of the moon, etc.Frankly, however, judging from the relative lack of coverage I'm seeing in the local media about this Grand Re-Opening, I would not anticipate Day Out With Thomas-sized crowds this weekend. Busy, yes, but not blockbuster crowds. I hope I'm proven wrong and just didn't see ads during "American Idol" or whatever.Incidentally, a reminder: It's open Friday through Sunday for the occasion and CLOSED Monday for Memorial Day.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: B&O Grand Opening -Parking UPDATE
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:27 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:51 pm
Posts: 12170
Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Drove by the auxillary parking lot this evening.By my rough count, five backhoes, a dump truck, a utility truck, a boom truck, a couple 40' shipping containers, a couple trailerloads of pipes/lumber/etc. . . . .Somehow, I just have my doubts they're gonna use that parking lot tomorrow morning. But I could be wrong.In addition, I advise again: carefully read the parking signs. One side of Pratt Street is apparently 2-hour-only parking; one side (Museum side) has no such restrictions, but does have a bus stop, hydrant, etc.


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: