It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Little River Railroad
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:20 pm 

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:03 pm
Posts: 949
Just got back from a day spent in Coldwater, Michigan with the world's smallest standard gauge Pacific, Little River Railroad 110.The Little River has been a "roaming" operation for the past few years, searching for a good place to call home. It's fantastic to see their Pacific back up and running, as I spent many a day on it when it ran out of Angola, Indiana when I was much younger.The operation is very cool--the engine is a gentle chuffer, the route is easy and relaxing, providing adequate chasing opportunities as well. The staff and crew are especially friendly and eager to see their operation take off. They've done a lot so far, having even restored an 0-4-0 to operating condition. There's a lot of potential with this unique group and I urge all of you to check out their website and take a ride!http://www.littleriverrailroad.com/index.htm-Kelly Lynch


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Little River Railroad
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:22 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:52 am
Posts: 49
I've always heard this loco referred to as the smallest standard gauge pacific ever built. Were there any narrow gauge pacifics built for revenue service? I'm not aware of any U.S. or Canadian examples. Can anyone shed some light on this?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Little River Railroad
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:52 am 

Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:13 pm
Posts: 356
Location: Brooklyn, NY
There's a 2' Baldwin-built Pacific operating on the Brecon Mountain Railway in Wales...its lines similar to the SR&RL #24 (a 2-6-2). Built in 1930 for an operation in South Africa.Photo from the BMR Website:ImageOthers at:http://philtpics.fotopic.net/c216043.html


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Other websites?
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:48 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:35 am
Posts: 8139
Location: Wilton, NY
Somewhere, I've ran across good historical websites for both the original Little River RR and Smoky Mountain RR, on which the 110 once ran. I had no luck just now looking for them again. Anyone else have the URLs?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Other websites?
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:56 am 

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:03 pm
Posts: 949
http://littleriverrailroad.org/


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Little River Railroad
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:01 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:05 pm
Posts: 329
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Pacifics were used in South Africa on 3' 6" gauge.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Little River Railroad
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:03 pm 

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:42 am
Posts: 441
Location: Haslett, Michigan USA
I suspect Pacifics were the standard passenger engine in Japan, but can't recall the standard guage there. Is it 3' 6"? All I know is that the Shinkansen is broad guage: that is, 4' 8-1/2".And what guage were the engines that gave the Pacific type its name when built for New Zealand?

_________________
Aarne H. Frobom
The Steam Railroading Institute
P. O. Box 665
Owosso, Michigan 48840-0665


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Little River Railroad
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:34 am 

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:21 am
Posts: 201
Location: Tidewater, VA
Aarne H. Frobom wrote:
I suspect Pacifics were the standard passenger engine in Japan, but can't recall the standard guage there. Is it 3' 6"? All I know is that the Shinkansen is broad guage: that is, 4' 8-1/2".
Meter gauge though the "Bullet" trains are 4' 8 1/2" gauge.Ed

_________________
When you ride a stallion, you never ride alone.


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: