It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Railroaders Museum
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am 

Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:45 pm
Posts: 8
I must commend RYPN and Scott Cessna for the article on the Railroaders Memorial Museum in Altoona. While I am sure that some things were left out for brevity, the fact that the museum has been willing to share its travails is important to us all. There are a number of organizations that need to learn to be as up front to the community as a whole and especialy to their supporters and members.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Railroaders Museum
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:44 pm 

Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:17 pm
Posts: 527
Location: Scranton, PA
HelloI'd like to second that commendation. I had the chance to visit the Railroader's Memorial Museum in April and was very impressed. I meant to post this in back then, but with the K4 nonsense taking place, I elected not to add fuel to the fire.I had actually been to the museum during it's grand opening a few years ago, but with the crowds that day, it was really hard to take it all in. This time around I was able to take my time roam freely through the building (there was a fair amount of traffic in the museum though). Instead of the token "walk through" I find myself doing at most railroad museums these days, I spent a good two hours becoming engrossed in what RMM had to offer. I find that the interpretive exhibits at most railroad museums are a lot like reading a book (Steamtown is a good example of this), a good deal of knowledge presented, but not much "feel". Other railroad museums elect to tell a story primarily through rolling stock (RRMofPA, B&O excel at this). The museum at Altoona draws you in; you get the feeling of being "in" the exhibits if that’s a good way to put it. There's not one piece of full size equipment in the museum, and quite frankly, that's just fine. This museum should be mentioned in the same breath as B&O, CSRM and RRMofPA and is the finest interpretive railroad museum I have been to.I found the scaled down staff to be friendly and courteous. About 95% of the interactive and a/v exhibits were functioning properly. I did take note of the "This exhibit sponsored by" signs here and there. Small and inconspicuous, I found them to be a novel way of keeping the museum in the black.Out in the yard I saw a great deal of conservation work taking place on the rolling stock, and much of the "junk yard" feel was gone. New interpretive signs were in place and actually gave an idea of "why" each piece was there in the first place.All in all I enjoyed my visit and came away with a good impression of the place. Heck, I even learned a thing or two. Seems like the museum is on a steady course now and I wish them nothing but the best.Dave Crosby

_________________
Dave Crosby


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Railroaders Museum
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:52 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:41 am
Posts: 214
Location: Stockton, New Jersey
I have been to this museum twice over the past four years. I was so impressed with the presentation movie that I took my teenage son out to see it. He left with a lasting impression of the craftsmen of the Altoona Works. This museum gives you a feel for the people of Altoona and what the PRR meant to them. I have recommended this museum to a number of friends. Altoona is not always a primary destination and it is hard to get people to go out there. It is still too bad that the RRMPA could not have been located in an area that already had major facilties. Altoona, Mt. Union/EBT, or the RDG St. Clair Shops all come to mind. It is my understanding that these areas did not have the political clout of Lancaster County. Lancaster already had established tourist attractions. It is water over the dam now! Please make it a point to visit the museum on your way down the highway to Cumberland, Maryland and the WMSR. You will not be disappointed!!!


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Railroaders Museum
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:37 am 

Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:27 pm
Posts: 18
Location: Warren, PA
Stone Consulting, having been a consultant to the museum, understood the challenges that Scott walked into. We commend him on several levels. First, for being willing to walk into a situation where many the brave would flee from. Second, for being the right person in the right place at the right time. Other museums and rail attractions need the benefit of a business and financial background to help guide them to future success. Unfortunately all too often the ones that need it the most do not see the priority. And others just can not find the correct person when they realize the need.Third, Scott has the talent to understand that survival is not just cutting costs. It is more to make sure that every available dollar produces the maximum benefits. The linkage of program to the needed suuport expenditures is missed too often. Then when a program does not meet expectations people stand around and wonder what happened.Fourth, we collectively become a better industry when we are willing to share each other's experiences. It is so good to see and be able too learn from a real life case situation.Fifth, Scott's final focus made Randy and I cheer. As Randy just said, "That is quotable. People should learn that as a mantra of Chairman Mao. No body has ever said it better." Every person involved in the tourism industry should be asking the same question. My gosh, how much better our visitor impression would be if we focused on such a simple yet profound truth.Hats off Scott, thank you for sharing with us.Gary LandrioStone Consulting & Design


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: